Dress Shirts - What Do You Buy?

I have to wear dress shirts for work every day. Sometimes with tie, sometimes without.

I like the no-wrinkle shit because I tend to throw stuff in the dryer on my way out the door and I don’t hang them up at the gym. I usually just toss them in the locker on top of my other clothes. The lockers at my gym don’t have hooks or anything.

I buy stuff from Jos A Banks, but those things don’t stand up. The edges fray after 15 washes or so. They don’t wrinkle, but they don’t last for shit.

Does anyone have a brand they like that doesn’t wrinkle, but also lasts? I am happy to pay some $$ for a shirt that lasts more then 15 minutes. . . Thanks in advance.

Turnbull and Asser or Charvet.

[quote]flightspeed wrote:
I have to wear dress shirts for work every day. Sometimes with tie, sometimes without.

I like the no-wrinkle shit because I tend to throw stuff in the dryer on my way out the door and I don’t hang them up at the gym. I usually just toss them in the locker on top of my other clothes. The lockers at my gym don’t have hooks or anything.

I buy stuff from Jos A Banks, but those things don’t stand up. The edges fray after 15 washes or so. They don’t wrinkle, but they don’t last for shit.

Does anyone have a brand they like that doesn’t wrinkle, but also lasts? I am happy to pay some $$ for a shirt that lasts more then 15 minutes. . . Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I get my shirts tailor made. So, local tailor?

Ones that look cool from:

Kohl’s
Macy’s
JC Penny

But I am also a poor, young and broke post-grad just getting by.

This is obviously just my opinion but use a dry cleaner. The no wrinkle stuff looks like crap unless it’s with a pair of jeans and it’s the weekend. It doesn’t have to be an expensive cleaner either. I go to a locally owned one and it’s really cheap to use.

james

I have my own company, we make custom menswear such as suits, shirts etc. so I usually wear my own stuff. :wink:

Please don’t dryclean your cotton shirts frequently it’s awful for the material.

Stacy Adams. Great ricch colors. http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/multi_category.asp?s=sa&cat=Dress-sa+Shirts Steven Land for multicolored shirts, simple patterns and contrasting collars. http://stevenland.com/productlist.asp?cid=101

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Please don’t dryclean your cotton shirts frequently it’s awful for the material.[/quote]

Is that true?

I was going to suggest dry cleaning aswell. For the time saved on ironing the money is not a factor.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Please don’t dryclean your cotton shirts frequently it’s awful for the material.[/quote]

Is that true?

I was going to suggest dry cleaning aswell. For the time saved on ironing the money is not a factor.

tweet[/quote]

I didn’t take the comment about using a dry cleaner to mean get your cotton shirts dry cleaned. When I used to take my dress shirts to dry cleaners in the past, they laundered and pressed them. In other words, the shirts got washed, not dry-cleaned. It was simply a way to save myself time and avoid doing any ironing.

Dry cleaners have these forms that a shirt fits around for pressing, so the ironing comes out perfectly. Is that worth between $1-2 per shirt? IDK, but I lack any ironing skills. The few times I’ve tried to iron stuff, I’ve actually ironed in some wrinkles.

As for brands, I can’t make any recommendations. I just make sure to try on everything. (Forget the ones sold in a box.) I find choosing the correct collar size and sleeve length is not enough. Depending on the brand or style, some of them have tons of extra material that balloons out around your mid-section.

One of my pet peeves is what the way most stores pin back shirts on mannequins. You may see a shirt on a mannequin that looks like it might fit very well, but it turns out someone just gathered all the extra material around the figure’s lower back, folded it over, and pinned it.

1mx shirts from Express are nice they have a little lycra in them so they don’t show wrinkles and they are also athletic cut and have a decent fit the only problem is getting an xl they tend to sell them out quickly around me in the nicer colors

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Sturat wrote:

Is that true?

tweet[/quote]

I didn’t take the comment about using a dry cleaner to mean get your cotton shirts dry cleaned. When I used to take my dress shirts to dry cleaners in the past, they laundered and pressed them. In other words, the shirts got washed, not dry-cleaned. It was simply a way to save myself time and avoid doing any ironing.

Dry cleaners have these forms that a shirt fits around for pressing, so the ironing comes out perfectly. Is that worth between $1-2 per shirt? IDK, but I lack any ironing skills. The few times I’ve tried to iron stuff, I’ve actually ironed in some wrinkles.

As for brands, I can’t make any recommendations. I just make sure to try on everything. (Forget the ones sold in a box.) I find choosing the correct collar size and sleeve length is not enough. Depending on the brand or style, some of them have tons of extra material that balloons out around your mid-section.

One of my pet peeves is what the way most stores pin back shirts on mannequins. You may see a shirt on a mannequin that looks like it might fit very well, but it turns out someone just gathered all the extra material around the figure’s lower back, folded it over, and pinned it.
[/quote]

Laundered and pressed is fine and to be honest when I get busy I do that as well rather than doing it myself. I can still press my shirts better by hand than the dry cleaner can with their machines but sometimes the time involved just isn’t available to me.

The chemicals used in dry cleaning are very harsh and hard on fabrics, typically I try to get my suits cleaned once per year or less if I can avoid it. A good brushing and a little spot cleaning here and there is usually sufficient in combination with my steamer to keep them looking great. It’s a shame to wear out a nice suit by getting it dry cleaned too often.

Although since I own the company it does give me a great excuse to buy something new. . .

Plus since all our stuff is made to measure it always fits which is nice since most stores don’t carry shirts with 18.5" necks.

Brooks Brothers non-iron machine wash dress shirts do the trick for me.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
Brooks Brothers non-iron machine wash dress shirts do the trick for me.[/quote]

Great Shirts, Really. I own 3 but baby the hell out of them.

Also have 3 Donald trump now defunct line of regular Dress shirts that fit and look good as hell. Hate the Executive shirts. But now Macy’s no longer carry and Didn’t mind rolling up those at all.

Stop being cheap and get your shirts made.

No person on this website should be able to fit in an off-the-rack shirt.

I sure as hell cannot, and I am a skinny fuck.

19-19.5 36-37. They’re huge around the stomach though. For them to fit in the middle they are waaay too tight up top. I’m no fashion guy and therefore no expert. I bought my first suit ever like 6 months ago.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

I sure as hell cannot, and I am a skinny fuck.[/quote]

hahahaha,…no.

I can fit a Regular 19 with the brands I mentioned. If its a skinny shirt hahaha yeah that will never happen with this kid.

I like Alfani L or XL slim fit, no huge amounts of fabric in the stomach. For reference I’m 5’11" & 225.

I will be checking out the other recommendations in this thread as well.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
Brooks Brothers non-iron machine wash dress shirts do the trick for me.[/quote]

Agreed, but make sure you get a tapered cut…the usual ones are very boxy and leave a lot of material around the waist

That is bullshit, except for the guy that mentioned the express mx shirts which are ridiculuous. I couldn’t even roll up the sleeves. Most clothing companies have cuts made to fit portly, older gentlman.

Blanklabel.com and ratioclothing.com are among some of the cheaper made to measure shirt companies, which still aren’t full bespoke. A local tailor will charge well over $200 for a custom shirt with a minimal number to order (most likely 3+) and that is with cheap fabric. A good custom shirt will set you back a good amount.

I’ve bought most of my nice shirts on sale or off ebay, then take them to the tailor and have them fitted. Its the same with my tj maxxx shirts. Its like $15 bucks at most per shirt, and I was getting them for like $5 until my tailor moved into commercial space.

If you stop putting yoru clothes in the dryer they will last longer. If you lay them out until semi damp, then hang them, most of the wrinkles will fall out. A couple quick zaps with a steamer will fix the rest of it.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

That is bullshit, except for the guy that mentioned the express mx shirts which are ridiculuous. I couldn’t even roll up the sleeves. Most clothing companies have cuts made to fit portly, older gentlman.

Blanklabel.com and ratioclothing.com are among some of the cheaper made to measure shirt companies, which still aren’t full bespoke. A local tailor will charge well over $200 for a custom shirt with a minimal number to order (most likely 3+) and that is with cheap fabric. A good custom shirt will set you back a good amount.

I’ve bought most of my nice shirts on sale or off ebay, then take them to the tailor and have them fitted. Its the same with my tj maxxx shirts. Its like $15 bucks at most per shirt, and I was getting them for like $5 until my tailor moved into commercial space.

If you stop putting yoru clothes in the dryer they will last longer. If you lay them out until semi damp, then hang them, most of the wrinkles will fall out. A couple quick zaps with a steamer will fix the rest of it. [/quote]

whoa whoa whoa … you mean you haven’t reached Hulk size yet? What the fuck are you doing on this site pullin’ pud … get your skinny ass in the gym stat!!

but for real, I do the same thing. I get most of my shirts/pants from discount distributors or outlets. I know a couple who run a tailor service out of their house who are more than reasonable and top notch in their work.