T Nation

Dragon Warrior NES

Pulled out the NES this afternoon and started a new quest on Dragon Warrior. Man this game was the bomb and IMO the role playing game that started role playing games. Currently level 8 with axe. Saving gold for half plate armor and iron shield. Why do the goldmen have to be so hard to get to when your weak??? ugggg.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Pulled out the NES this afternoon and started a new quest on Dragon Warrior. Man this game was the bomb and IMO the role playing game that started role playing games. Currently level 8 with axe. Saving gold for half plate armor and iron shield. Why do the goldmen have to be so hard to get to when your weak??? ugggg.[/quote]

That game was hard as hell, but good. I don’t even think I could beat it cheating with Game Genie. It takes a while to get going, and you’re so weak at the beginning, all you can do is sloowwlly level up fighting those red and blue blobs.

Don’t know if you’re into Final Fantasy, but in the original NES version, there is a grave which says “Here lies Erdrick” - the same Erdrick of Dragon Warrior fame.

And of course now Enix and Squaresoft are one…Square Enix.

Would be cool if they made a revamped one for the 360 or PS3.

The Dragon Warrior games were the bees’ knees for sure.

Like ND said, I remember spending so much time killing slimes with that damn bamboo stick leveling up. But it was all worth it to find the sword and armor of Erdrick - turned you into a damn wrecking machine.

I was in grade school when this game came out. Me and my buddy stayed up all night until we beat it. Such a great, raw RPG. This used to be one of the games I’d go back every year and play through again. Classic. Used to use an emulator to play Dragon Warrior at 4x the speed, really helps with the grind.

Laptops in class are the greatest thing ever. Why? Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis emulators!

I’ve played and re-played through Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana 2 and 3 sooooooo many times while I was supposed to be learning how to not make buildings fall down that it isn’t even funny. On the other hand, the best RPG’s really were the old ones before everything became so incredibly complicated with graphics and skills and everything.

I was too young for NES games besides lke mario and duck hunt, but maybe I’ll pick up an emulator and try out Dragon Warrior.

I LOVE to play Dragon Warrior drunk. Even the music is cool, I like the music that plays as you travel from town to town.

In fact, I love playing most of the old NES games drunk. Gunsmoke, Contra, FF1, T&C, Wizards and Warriors, Metroid, Skate or Die, RC Pro-Am, Castlevania, Mario Bros. 3, Lifeforce, Gradius, Metal Gear, all the old shit is so much fun to play drunk.

Except for Kid Icarus. I can’t play that game sober either, but it’s fun as shit.

Thank god for those emulators huh?

[quote]samdan wrote:
On the other hand, the best RPG’s really were the old ones before everything became so incredibly complicated with graphics and skills and everything.

[/quote]

Agreed!

It’s easy to beat, you just have to level up to 50, I think. Which means hours and hours of your life fighting green dragons and star wyverns over and over again. Sucks, but the final boss is a piece of cake.

What are some decent emulators? I was just debating playing some old school games

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
What are some decent emulators? I was just debating playing some old school games [/quote]

jnes is pretty good

best music on the NES. Opening credits for Legend of Zelda. Hands down!!!

Dragon Warrior III is my favorite.

ots killing me that I can’t play again until next sat. at families house out of town!!!

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
dennis3k wrote:
What are some decent emulators? I was just debating playing some old school games

jnes is pretty good[/quote]

x2

the downside for ROMs though is that you have all the games, so soon as I die in a game, I just play another game. At least when they were $40 you didn’t have 600 games to choose from.

sure loved those metal slimes too.

That was my first RPG, which I played and finished when I was 5. I even have all the original tattered packaging and a giant poster map to go with it.

Never played II or III and I don’t think that I could buckle down and do it, with so many better games floating around in this age.

I picked up Dragon Warrior III at a garage sale.

It was a bit confusing without the instructions but I got the hang of it eventually. Fun game.

Could someone explain to me how use these emulators you speak of? Maybe like an Emulators for Dummies???

I was just talking with my roommate not long ago about how we’d like to fire up the old SNES and run some Tecmo Super Bowl (greatest game ever).

Thanks

Could someone explain to me how use these emulators you speak of? Maybe like an Emulators for Dummies???

I was just talking with my roommate not long ago about how we’d like to fire up the old SNES and run some Tecmo Super Bowl (greatest game ever).

Thanks