Dr Sean Jenkins 49 YO IFBB Pro

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

I’m sure you train pretty smart but you’re not the ‘power of positive thinking’ type of guy that Dr. Jenkins is (few are). [/quote]

?

You don’t know anything about Dr. Jenkins on a personal level to even know that about him, just like you don’t know me personally at all.[/quote]

He seemed pretty optimistic from his statement quotes above and you want to fight about Ziplock bags. What else do I need to know?[/quote]

Wow, so you know everything about a man’s personal life and how “positive” he is based off of one well written paragraph. Interesting. I am guessing ads in magazines don’t even have to try with you. I can hear it now…“But they said it would make me gain 25lbs in one week…THEY PROMISED!!!”.

Your selective memory is interesting though. I do believe I’ve written quite a bit on this forum yet you pick “zip lock bags”.

Well, you keep on sucking the air out of those bags and pretending you are a vacuum sealer.

Just keep on sucking.[/quote]

Bottom line is most people won’t be able to hit their peak after 40.

[quote]on edge wrote:

Bottom line is most people won’t be able to hit their peak after 40.[/quote]

LOL. “Most people” won’t ever build arms over 18". Since when am I or anyone else here shooting to be like “most people”?

[quote]on edge wrote:

Yeah, those ages don’t mean what they used to.

[/quote]

I hope you can say that in ten years. The percentages will be working against you.[/quote]

Dude, I’m a couple years away from 40. I’m stronger/bigger now than I’ve ever been. Numbers are going up steady and I’m still growing. Barring any drastic injuries or forced lifestyle changes, I have at least another good decade of this with good results.

I’m a late bloomer.

Most people are average. (period)! Most lifters in the gym look average. Most people on this sight look average. People that walk around worrying or wondering when will they hit there peak are the ones that give up or give in to just being average. It’s the few that walk the walk yr after yr gaining and keep moving ahead that end up looking like that in latter years.

I’m past 40 and stronger and better than ever.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

Yeah, those ages don’t mean what they used to.

[/quote]

I hope you can say that in ten years. The percentages will be working against you.[/quote]

Dude, I’m a couple years away from 40. I’m stronger/bigger now than I’ve ever been. Numbers are going up steady and I’m still growing. Barring any drastic injuries or forced lifestyle changes, I have at least another good decade of this with good results.

I’m a late bloomer.[/quote]

I’m not saying it can’t happen, just look at that Jenkins guy. Those potential “drastic injuries” you speak of are the very thing I’m talking about. You can’t predict them, you can’t sit there at 39 and be sure you’re going to be doing great at 41. I felt great at 36. I could run a 60m in 6.75. At 37 I had to concentrate to not walk with a limp. I never saw it coming.

Don’t get me wrong I think people should always strive to improve. The thing is with physical endeavors it gets tougher with age.

[quote]on edge wrote:
I felt great at 36. I could run a 60m in 6.75. At 37 I had to concentrate to not walk with a limp. I never saw it coming.
[/quote]

Did you read all of my post?

Your focusing way to much on what might happen instead of just moving ahead until your body tells you to change up. The mind is a fucker you can tell yourself 10 more years and your mind will make sure you shut down. Don’t talk yourself into a deadline

Dont fuck with a man over his ziplocks.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I felt great at 36. I could run a 60m in 6.75. At 37 I had to concentrate to not walk with a limp. I never saw it coming.
[/quote]

Did you read all of my post?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m not seeing what I missed. I missed your age by a year, I’m sure that’s not what your talking about.

[quote]four60 wrote:
Your focusing way to much on what might happen instead of just moving ahead until your body tells you to change up. The mind is a fucker you can tell yourself 10 more years and your mind will make sure you shut down. Don’t talk yourself into a deadline[/quote]

I agree with what you’re getting at. I disagree with PX’s suggestion that making peaks in the 40’s is becoming standard. And to be clear, making peaks is different than making gains. Anyone talking about gains in their 40’s I want to know how long they’ve been training. If someone says they’re making consistent gains at 45 but they’ve only been training a few years, that doesn’t mean anything.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
Your focusing way to much on what might happen instead of just moving ahead until your body tells you to change up. The mind is a fucker you can tell yourself 10 more years and your mind will make sure you shut down. Don’t talk yourself into a deadline[/quote]

I agree with what you’re getting at. I disagree with PX’s suggestion that making peaks in the 40’s is becoming standard. And to be clear, making peaks is different than making gains. Anyone talking about gains in their 40’s I want to know how long they’ve been training. If someone says they’re making consistent gains at 45 but they’ve only been training a few years, that doesn’t mean anything.[/quote]

Yeah I thought you both were talking about Bodybuilders that are attempting to take themselves to the maximum there bodies can go. Those people are a differnt breed altogether and can’t be considered with the norms that start training then stop then start then stop etc. You can’t add those into the equasion (I know I jaked that word up).

I think your talking about the average joe in the gym and maybe X is talking about bodybuilders. I’ve seen some amazing physiques in the gym well past that mark that most people think you should start going backwards. A whole other breed of human

Since when …is… anyone else here shooting to be like “most people”?[/quote]

You want that list broken up between people open about and those too delusional to realize it, or all just lumped into one?

All joking aside, there is a good core group of people serious about this around here, (but there are a couple people who THINK they are the shit, but aren’t in any position to be putting people down, due to their own lack of progress.)

People’s goals are people’s goals and I’m not in any way putting them down. The people open about having a “look good naked, but not really serious about being above average” are perfectly fine as long as they aren’t watering down or putting down the goals of the people looking to excel at this shit.

ANd before any retards go off on any rants, excelling doesn’t = making money off it, or winning 600 shows, or being in the 99th percentile.

Excelling is trying your god damn best to be better than you were yesterday, and standing out not only for your efforts but more so your progress towards your goals. (Assuming your goals aren’t so pedestrian my grandmother would laugh at you.)

Hell, i’m trying to be in better shape and size than I was before my injuries. (late 20’s)

Sure, my body’s recovery isn’t quite what it used to be. But, at the same time, i’m a little smarter about the way I train these days.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Hell, i’m trying to be in better shape and size than I was before my injuries. (late 20’s)

Sure, my body’s recovery isn’t quite what it used to be. But, at the same time, i’m a little smarter about the way I train these days.[/quote]

It’s all the fuckin… You should really slow down with that. :wink:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Sure, my body’s recovery isn’t quite what it used to be. But, at the same time, i’m a little smarter about the way I train these days.[/quote]

It’s all the fuckin… You should really slow down with that. ;)[/quote]

OH.FUCK.NO.

Man, I fought long and hard to get where I am, and I sure as shit ain’t slowing down!

I know you’re just fucking with me, but still…

You need to stop putting in so many hours at work!

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

It’s all the fuckin… You should really slow down with that. ;)[/quote]

OH.FUCK.NO.

Man, I fought long and hard to get where I am, and I sure as shit ain’t slowing down!

I know you’re just fucking with me, but still…

You need to stop putting in so many hours at work![/quote]

Considering my sex drive has returned (after 6 years of abstinence), he better not stop with all the fucking!

Wow!! Dr Sean Jenkins is a great inspiration!!
My own experience is that I hit my physical peak athletically at about 29 years of age. That is when I had my best lifting #s, best 40 yard dash times, and best vertical jump, etc. That was about 18 years ago, now.

I “fight-the-good-fight” and try to stay strong and lean, but it is getting harder as I get older, and my decline can be measured. I feel the abuse my body endured from college fooball, and years of heavy lifting and combat-sports activities. But, my guess is that there are guys who continue to make improvements into their 40’s in bodybuilding.

But clearly, there is a good reason that there are no olympic-level sprinters in their 40s, or NFL running backs, or defensive backs at that age. Reflexes aren’t as sharp, injuries accumulate, natural testosterone production goes down, wear & tear and “father time” take their toll. But in a sport like bodybuilding…it is obvious that the elite can be found in their late 30s and through their 40s.

I’m adding Dr. Jenkins to my list of guys in their 40s who are inspiring. Also on the list Herscell Walker and Jerry Rice. Kudos to Rice going into the H.O.F. this weekend.

on the topic of age, my biology teacher INSISTS that you CANNOT increase your strength once you are past the age of 25 years old, and at age 26 your strength begins to decline, and weight training only slows this decline it does not reverse it. hmm only 7 years left where i can build strength? i’d better get moving!

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
on the topic of age, my biology teacher INSISTS that you CANNOT increase your strength once you are past the age of 25 years old, and at age 26 your strength begins to decline, and weight training only slows this decline it does not reverse it. hmm only 7 years left where i can build strength? i’d better get moving![/quote]

Point that retard to my log.