Dr. Ryan-Prime Time 6/27-6/28

blam,

1. Glucosamine/MSM use for prehab is an excellent strategy for many people. I think most of the over thirty crowd would receive some benefit. Anyone with a history of disc or joint injury would be well off to use it, whether or not they are symptomatic or not. The only caution would be in people with insulin resistance problems. While some studies have shown some negative correlation of glucosamine on blood sugar, the research is not conclusive and has not been seen in most studies.

2. The post deep tissue massage ‘sickness’ you speak of is probably mediated through a couple different mechanisms. Usually deep tissue massage is painful, and I think that the pain response has an effect on the nervous sysmtem that can cause some of the symptoms. The other factor is probably metabolic, due to the increased production/release of metabolic byproducts as a result of the massage and the influence on increasing lymphatic drainage, etc.

3. Regarding back off weeks, they can be restorative from both a physical and mental standpoint. Check out the Back Off and Grow article by Jack Reape. It contains some excellent insights on this very issue.

Take care,

Ryan

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
Whitelable,

Is the pain over the bone or is it in the soft tissue above and behind it? The peroneal tendons pass across that area. Whether or not you have some kind of tendinitis or local muscle irritation would have to be ruled out.

What kind of treatment providers do you have available to you?

Take care,

Ryan[/quote]

it is the soft tissue above and behind it. now it is looking a pretty swollen. i would be able to go to the doctors. it has been hurting for a while now but its starting to hurt alot worse. i am going to florida for a week so i will prob go to a doctor when i get home.

Today at practice, making cuts and running just werent happening. also we had these like half balls that were bouncy, something thing i think called bouso balls, they made it alot worse

Whitelable,

You definitely would want to rule out the peroneal muscles/tendons as a factor.

What have you tried to do to treat it so far?

Ryan

nothing but some ice for about 15 mins for the last couple nights. i am able to walk around on it, its only severe while running/lifting.

thanks for trying to help me, but its hard for me to describe it by typing. i will take it easy for the next week and go to a doctor when i get home.
Thanks for your help

WL