T Nation

Dr. Ryan- Prime Time 10/5-6

Ready for some questions.

Dr. Ryan,
Thanks so much for your response to such a non-workout related problem. To answer your questions, no its not the ear I lay on, I can't feel the liquid shifting around much at all (even when I am on one side for long time, change altitudes, I've tried clearing them by plugging my nose and swallowing but doesn't change at all.) I ran out of nose spray a little while before my ear got clogged, I was using 'VICKS SINEX 12-hour Sinus Relief'(OTC) twice a day. I will pick some more of it up, unless you have a better-suggested type, or ingredient to look for. It's been a week or two now and it feels like the other ear is starting to build up as well. This makes it hard to hear my professors so, I'm planning on doing a walk-in visit to my doctor Friday. But till then I'm going to google the 'Eustachian tube' see what I find out. I'll let you know what the doctor says.
Thanks!
RetailBoy

Retailboy,

I did a Google search prior to posting the other response. There are a ton of really good sites. That is why I didn't post just one link.

Keep me posted on how it is going.

Take care,

Ryan

Doc, do you know what hockey is?

Dave,

Hockey is;

1/3 Lacrosse (Canada's true love)
1/3 Rugby
1/3 Ice Skating

Am I close?

Take care,

Ryan

Retailboy
I know I may be way off but have your wisdom teeth been bothering you.That is if you still have them.just a thought

About a year ago I was dlift, and squating quite heavily. During this time, my hips began to hurt. I quit going quite so heavy, however now when ever I dlift or squat I still feel pain. The pain does not feel like a pulled muscle but more of a stretching, pulling pain. Any ideas

Hey Ryan,

I have noticed when I get nervous, like in meetings at work, or exerted, like in the middle of workouts I can't stop coughing.

Any ideas why? Or how to stop it?

Thanks

BRD,

Are your symptoms only present during the exercises or do you continue to have pain after your workouts?

Deadlifts and squats place a tremendous strain on the lumbar spine and pelvis. Everything from the thoracolumbar fascia, paraspinal muscles, joints, ligaments and discs are under significant loading. Any one of these structures can create low back pain.

It is important to maintain proper form throughout the lifts and to preserve the lumbar lordosis as best as you can through the full ROM. This helps to prevent the risk of disc injury.

Try doing a search of this site for articles concerning squats and deadlifts. There are several that breakdown the lifts and describe proper form and how to troubleshoot your lift for potential problems.

Take care,

Ryan

bmf,

That's a new one. Are there any other symptoms? Any medical conditions or meds?

I'll look into it. I don't know if its some sort of sympathetic mediated response or what.

Take care,

Ryan

Dr. Ryan
The pain does continue after the lift into the desk day or two.

Thx for the advise

Other symptoms would be that I feel slightly pukey. This really occurs as my exertion or stress increases. For example after a couple sets of heavy squat or deads I will start coughing, but a couple sets of curls would do nothing.

Also, no meds or conditions.

bmf

hey doc hiatal hernia ?

BRD,

If the pain continues, then you are definitely stressing the area pretty significantly during the exercise.

Have someone that knows what they are doing watch you perform the lifts. Ask them for feedback on your form. Especially your low back and pelvis position throughout the movement. They may be able to help identify a problem.

It wouldn't hurt to get evaluated by a chiropractor. They should be able to do a thorough exam and provide some treatment to make sure that the low back and SI joints are moving properly.

Also, if need be they could prescribe some rehab exercises.

If you are interested in learning about low back injury mechanisms and how to design a good rehab program, check out the book Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance by Stuart McGill.

Take care,

Ryan

Dr. Ryan,
I seem to have hyperextended my knee and tweaked the muscles behind the knee (actually on either side of the knee). What's back there and how can I take care of it?
Thanks,
Worker

bmf,

You don't get any shortness of breath or wheezing type symptoms, correct?

Any history of reflux?

I'll keep researching.

Take care,

Ryan

Carpenter,

I'm confused, do you have one or are you suggesting that as a cause of BMF's symptoms?

Ryan

Worker,

The hamstrings and adductors tie in there as well as the calves and some smaller muscles.

What kind of symptoms are you having?

Take care,

Ryan

Ryan,

No history/symptoms of shortness of breath, wheezing, or reflux. The coughing kind of builds up and I guess is almost more of a hacking cough. It is not constant, maybe one cough a minute. Do you think it could be just from lactic acid build up?

Thanks,
bmf