Dr. Pangloss - Drop Some Knowledge

I’m sorry about your friend - what a nightmare situation. An acquaintance of mine lost her hearing with similarly shocking suddenness several years ago. I’m joining the others in wishing him a quick and complete recovery.

[quote]debraD wrote:
Dear Dr. Pangloss,

Am I compromising strength if my mortises in a coffee table come up the top of the leg? I’m an amateur with the router so rather than drop the piece onto the moving bit or plunge with the edge guide, I want to start on the end grain and do a stop cut. But I’m worried there isn’t enough wood and that tearout will make a mess and that it will be weak. Then again if it’s all glue up well and supported by a corner brace it ought to be fine, no?

Sincerely,
Rustled Routress in Canadia

[/quote]

I have no idea, but let me know what you decide and post pics when you’re done!

Sorry to hear about your buddy.

Now I feel like a colossal douche for joking around before. Serious thread suddenly got serious.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
The good Doctor’s knowledge is best when it comes spontaneously, not when it is summoned in such general fashion.

Do not take him for a conjurer of cheap tricks![/quote]

Right?

I’m getting performance anxiety.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Sorry to hear about your buddy.

Now I feel like a colossal douche for joking around before. Serious thread suddenly got serious. [/quote]

No apology needed. He’ll be fine, first thing I asked him was if his dick still worked. The nurse was not amused.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
The good Doctor’s knowledge is best when it comes spontaneously, not when it is summoned in such general fashion.

Do not take him for a conjurer of cheap tricks![/quote]

Right?

I’m getting performance anxiety.

[/quote]

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:
Dear Dr. Pangloss,

Am I compromising strength if my mortises in a coffee table come up the top of the leg? I’m an amateur with the router so rather than drop the piece onto the moving bit or plunge with the edge guide, I want to start on the end grain and do a stop cut. But I’m worried there isn’t enough wood and that tearout will make a mess and that it will be weak. Then again if it’s all glue up well and supported by a corner brace it ought to be fine, no?

Sincerely,
Rustled Routress in Canadia

[/quote]

I have no idea, but let me know what you decide and post pics when you’re done![/quote]

I hope your friend is doing better!

I decided cutting through was possibly too flimsy so I decided to not be so chicken and try with stop cuts and it wasn’t difficult at all as long as I kept it 1/8" passes.