Dr. Berardi's Diet

I just got Dr. Berardi’s cookbook, and my husband and I are excited to clean up our acts together. We had the turkey sausage casserole last night and it was really good.
The diet seems very well thought out, but I wonder if the nutritional requirements for women were considered?

I am worried about the calcium, iron and folic acid levels specifically, as I am still of child bearing age, and have been pregnant, nursing or both for the last 12 years. Thank you!
Preachergirl

[quote]preachergirl wrote:
I just got Dr. Berardi’s cookbook, and my husband and I are excited to clean up our acts together. We had the turkey sausage casserole last night and it was really good.
The diet seems very well thought out, but I wonder if the nutritional requirements for women were considered?

I am worried about the calcium, iron and folic acid levels specifically, as I am still of child bearing age, and have been pregnant, nursing or both for the last 12 years. Thank you!
Preachergirl[/quote]

If you bought PN you may find it easier to get this question answered on their forum.

As for nutritional guidelines for women vs. men- other than those fe things you listed I’ve never come across meal plans in general that were geared for either sex. Usually for any “missing” items you supplement. Being pregnant or nursing for the last 12 years (how many kids do you have, sounds like at least 5) you should already be taking a daily prenatal and possibly supplementing with folic acid. That would be up to your doctor.

As for iron, unless you are deficient there shouldn’t be any reason to supplement with it beyond what is in a daily multi-v or in the prenatals.

Is PN private nutritional counseling? I am new to T-Nation, and someone in the Vixens forum suggested I post my question here, but thanks for the heads up.
I was hoping Dr. Berardi would have more information than my regular MD, since nutrition is not his specialty. I realize from reading Dr. Berardi’s material that his main target audience is male. Understandably, supply and demand and all that. But, I was just wondering if the differing nutritional requirements for women were considered when the diet was composed.

And yes, I have 5 really cool children.

Is PN private nutritional counseling? I am new to T-Nation, and someone in the Vixens forum suggested I post my question here, but thanks for the heads up.
I was hoping Dr. Berardi would have more information than my regular MD, since nutrition is not his specialty. I realize from reading Dr. Berardi’s material that his main target audience is male. Understandably, supply and demand and all that. But, I was just wondering if the differing nutritional requirements for women were considered when the diet was composed.

[/quote]

Yes, the requirements for women were considered! And although I do work with a great audience of active males, 1/2 of my sports teams are women and about 40% of our Precision Nutrition customers are women, too!

So don’t make the mistake of thinking just because I post here that I don’t service the female market.

To your question specifically, these things have been looked after - but keep in mind that if you are a Precision Nutrition owner, the menus are very flexible and, of course, for individualization and fine-tuning we have the private member’s only forums.

If you’re not sure what Precision Nutrition is, check this out:

[quote]John M Berardi wrote:
preachergirl wrote:

Yes, the requirements for women were considered! And although I do work with a great audience of active males, 1/2 of my sports teams are women and about 40% of our Precision Nutrition customers are women, too!

So don’t make the mistake of thinking just because I post here that I don’t service the female market.

To your question specifically, these things have been looked after - but keep in mind that if you are a Precision Nutrition owner, the menus are very flexible and, of course, for individualization and fine-tuning we have the private member’s only forums.

[/quote]

Thank you for replying, Dr. Berardi. I’m glad to hear I can follow this diet without worry. My husband just signed up for Precision Nutrition.
FYI, my thinking that your target audience were male had more to do with the tip on attracting fitness models that you included in the cookbook, and not because you post to T-Nation. :slight_smile:
-Preachergirl

John M Berardi wrote:
preachergirl wrote:

Thank you for replying, Dr. Berardi. I’m glad to hear I can follow this diet without worry. My husband just signed up for Precision Nutrition.
FYI, my thinking that your target audience were male had more to do with the tip on attracting fitness models that you included in the cookbook, and not because you post to T-Nation. :slight_smile:
-Preachergirl[/quote]

There such a thing as male fitness models… :slight_smile:

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
preachergirl wrote:
John M Berardi wrote:
preachergirl wrote:

-Preachergirl

There such a thing as male fitness models… :)[/quote]

But alas, I did mean fitness models of the FEMALE kind as I do prefer those personally!

:wink:

[quote]John M Berardi wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
preachergirl wrote:
John M Berardi wrote:
preachergirl wrote:

-Preachergirl

There such a thing as male fitness models… :slight_smile:

But alas, I did mean fitness models of the FEMALE kind as I do prefer those personally!

:wink:

[/quote]

We’re not here to judge JB…

i AGREE we need more information geared towards women!