T Nation

Downs Syndrome Abortions

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16720750/site/newsweek/

I found this pretty disturbing. Huxley’s Brave New World is getting a lot closer than we like to think.

Abortion is the most evil thing our society permits.

First off, the article definitly has a “Pro-Choice” slant.

It makes sense that most people would abort a baby with a genetic defect because they don’t want to deal with that. Horrible, but true.

That’s one of things that make “Brave New World” so disturbing, that as twisted as it is, it’s still plausible.

[quote]burntfrenchfry wrote:
First off, the article definitly has a “Pro-Choice” slant.
[/quote]

Um, it does? Did you read it? Or even catch who the author is?

Do you have any idea how long this has been around? I know people who have had this done some time ago.

p.s. before you criticize these people, try raising a child with DS. It’s no fuckin picnic.

Humans have been practicing eugenics long before the word “abortion” was conceived. For the vast majority of human existence children with serious malformations or mutations were killed as a matter of expediency.(Those words are used in the technical, morally neutral sense, so I don’t want to hear any bullshit.) That medical science now allows us to cull the baby in utero only saves us the trouble of having to push the newborn down into the snow.(Alternatively, you can leave it out for the wolves, as they do in China and India with baby girls.)

Our society allows us to kill certain people: fetuses, criminals, and if you live in Oregon, old people no one wants to visit. If you choose to have a baby with Downs Syndrome, you are indeed noble and are to be commended.

If you choose to have an abortion, you are certainly within your rights. Just realize you are probably going to hell.

[quote]barbos01 wrote:
If you choose to have a baby with Downs Syndrome, you are indeed noble and are to be commended.[/quote]

How noble a deed to condemn a child to a life of segregation and ill treatment.

Or would it be more noble to abort the fetus before it really becomes a human being? Perhaps before the final stages of neurulattion (formation of the brain) of the fetus?

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
barbos01 wrote:
If you choose to have a baby with Downs Syndrome, you are indeed noble and are to be commended.

Or would it be more noble to abort the fetus before it really becomes a human being? Perhaps before the final stages of neurulattion (formation of the brain) of the fetus?[/quote]

This is the trickiest of questions in regard to abortion.

I still don’t think most would do this. It is not a question of condemning…any life is good life. And having a child with DS might just teach some of us the value of that. I don’t think it should be legal to go that far, then get an abortion when you figure out the kid is retarded.

And this coming from a thousand percent pro-choice guy…

[quote/]How noble a deed to condemn a child to a life of segregation and ill treatment.

Or would it be more noble to abort the fetus before it really becomes a human being? Perhaps before the final stages of neurulattion (formation of the brain) of the fetus?[/quote]

I was being facetious with the commendation/going to hell comment, but since you made the effort I shall respond. What kind of bastard would ill treat a person with Down Syndrome? I don’t know about you, but I do not live in a Harper Lee novel where the “special” person is locked away in the back bedroom never to emerge.

The level disablement of a person with DS is tremendously variable, and many can live independently or in a group home setting. I have had some experience with such folks, and on the whole they tend to be quite blissful. They simply are not sophisticated enough to worry about anything.

So to claim that an abortion would spare the potential child a life of misery is nothing more than a self serving rationalization. If you are unwilling or incapable of caring for a developmentally disabled child, by all means abort. I have no problem with abortion in and of itself.

But don’t feed me a line of bullshit and claim you’re doing right by the child. If you’re honest about your motives I will respect any choice you make.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
brucevangeorge wrote:
barbos01 wrote:
If you choose to have a baby with Downs Syndrome, you are indeed noble and are to be commended.

Or would it be more noble to abort the fetus before it really becomes a human being? Perhaps before the final stages of neurulattion (formation of the brain) of the fetus?

This is the trickiest of questions in regard to abortion.

I still don’t think most would do this. It is not a question of condemning…any life is good life. And having a child with DS might just teach some of us the value of that. I don’t think it should be legal to go that far, then get an abortion when you figure out the kid is retarded.

And this coming from a thousand percent pro-choice guy…[/quote]

Good post.

I see no problem here. We’ve already established that it’s perfectly legal to starve an adult to death if they are suffering from serious brain damage, and we certainly don’t want these mongoloids diluting the gene pool, so let’s harvest them for the next batch of Soylent Green.
I mean stem cell research.
Nah, forget it, just trash 'em.

So it’s more wrong for somebody to abort the fetus than let the child be be born although they can not adequately provide for it, or really don’t care about it? Yeah, that’s way higher up on the moral scale.

As no one has appointed me grand high exalted arbiter of morality, I am content to leave questions of morality for philosophers and theologians to decide. All I ask for is basic honesty. If you choose to have an abortion in that situation, the only genuine justification is “I don’t want to have a retard kid.” If you can’t look yourself in the mirror and say that, you are a coward and have no business walking the same earth as me. I am disgusted by people too mentally feeble to be authentic in their thoughts and actions.