Downloading Free Music Safely

[quote]jisboss wrote:
I use Peerguardian, but who knows how many IPs are let through before they are added to the list.[/quote]

True. But there’s always Tor…

[quote]lixy wrote:
jisboss wrote:
I use Peerguardian, but who knows how many IPs are let through before they are added to the list.

True. But there’s always Tor…

http://tor.eff.org [/quote]

I like Tor for web browsing, but i find it to be slow as dog shit and downloads take forever.

[quote]jisboss wrote:
I like Tor for web browsing, but i find it to be slow as dog shit and downloads take forever.[/quote]

Understand that many groups are actively trying to hinder the adoption of Tor around the world. That, ultimately, is what you should blame the shitty speed on. The larger the network grows, the faster it’ll become. I agree with your point nonetheless.

[quote]jisboss wrote:
RIAA can easily see all IPs downloading a file using torrents. If you’re downloading chunks of the file then you are uploading chunks of the file you have received. Using newsgroups seems to be the best way to go for right now and you will download at your full connection speed.[/quote]

A lot of data the RIAA gets is gotten illegally, which then they go to court, and the case blows up in their face. Its happening lot of times. They now have a pay a fine website LOL.

How do you get an invite for the Oink site guys? can anyone send me one if possible please.

If you’re super paranoid and don’t mind waiting 10x longer you can always use a proxy server so that it shows your IP as Thailand or whatever country you choose.

Another option is going to somewhere with wireless internet or stealing your next door neighbor’s and downloading.

I feel really bad when it comes to downloading music from small indie bands. So, if I do actually like them I’ll buy the CD.

I have used torrents before but they completely bog my computer down. I can’t access my email or surf the net. Is there anyway around this or is it something that just has to be dealt with?

[quote]nikolo wrote:
I have used torrents before but they completely bog my computer down. I can’t access my email or surf the net. Is there anyway around this or is it something that just has to be dealt with?[/quote]

Limit your upload speed to about 80%. Do not limit it to 0, you are willing to take from others, but not go give back?

Go to speedtest.net, close all other applications that use downloading and uploading internet, find your upload speed(should be in kbps or kb/s that is kilobits per second, if it is kiloBYTES per second leave it at that). If it was kilobits, divide the number by 8 and there is your upload speed. get that number and times it by .8 and input that as your upload speed restriction(Usually in options in your downloading client, I like utorrent).

If you can’t understand what I wrote above follow these directions:

1. go to speedtest.net
  2. close all programs that use the internet other than your browser
  3. Find your upload speed.
  4. If your upload speed is in KBPS or KB/S(KiloBITS per second) proceed using 4a.
    4a. Divide your upload speed by 8.
    4b. Then multiply your new upload speed by .8
    4c. Then go to options in your torrent client and limit your upload speed to that number.
  5. If your upload speed is in Kb/s(kiloBYTES per second) proceed using 5a.
    5a. Then multiply your new upload speed by .8
    5b. Then go to options in your torrent client and limit your upload speed to that number.

Thank you. Tweaking the numbers made a world of difference. Much appreciated.

I like bearshare. Used to be a lot better before the lawsuits. At one time you could download for free or purchase the premium version. Has images, documents, applications, full movies or videos, and music.

[quote]cally wrote:
How do you get an invite for the Oink site guys? can anyone send me one if possible please.[/quote]

I would but it just got shut down, the guy was arrested (i heard). I deleted all my OiNK torrent files.

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
cally wrote:
How do you get an invite for the Oink site guys? can anyone send me one if possible please.

I would but it just got shut down, the guy was arrested (i heard). I deleted all my OiNK torrent files. [/quote]

Wow, thought you talking about the shutdown a while ago. Googled it and it was shut down today i think the article said.

Bunch of shit reporters the BBC claim to be/Investigators the police are. They said oink is a pay-site WRONG. They said that the admin made thousands of pounds, um no he didn’t, he payed the server costs, thousands of pounds. But then again, they only did two years of investigation, so who would know the difference between a site that accepts donations and pay-site.

Then they say the number of albums bought in stores in down, I really wonder why. Itunes(cherry picking the best songs), could have nothing to do with it. You know, when a band makes a good song, then fills the rest of the album with shit.