Downing Some Eggs...

Who all is putting away 15-18 eggs per day? I find myself eating so many eggs daily that the wife swears she heard me cluking instead of snoring lastnight. Querstion is, if I’m eating this many eggs, yolk and all, what is “really” happenening to my cholesterol count?..

Also, where is the breakeven point on farming chickens instead of buying eggs (jkg, I live inside city limits…)

LOL…I myself have considered turning my large closet into a chicken farm.

Why not get some bloodwork done to see where your cholesterol is at?

your cholesterol is probably better than ever

here’s a tip, avoid everything that experts on cardiology preach

Not me. They’re good, but I can’t stomach more than about 3 at a time.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Not me. They’re good, but I can’t stomach more than about 3 at a time.[/quote]

I can easily put away 5 at breakfast. Everyone says eat big at breakfast so I take it to heart. I’ll normally eat about 5 eggs, a couple slices of toast and some sausage or bacon…

Just gotta take them raw in shakes and you can easily get a dozen a day in. I sometimes worry about eating so much of one food everyday though.

So long as your biotin intake is not at the same time (same in the sense of being mixed in the stomach) as raw egg intake, and of course so long as salmonella doesn’t occur (rare) the eggs are fine in any quantity so far as I know. The largest amount studied that I’ve seen is 12 per day, which, along the lines cyph31 was saying, was better for blood lipids than lesser amounts or no eggs. That would be unlikely IMO to change with a relatively modest percentage increase past 12, for example, with 15-18 eggs/day.

If concerned about salmonella, one solution would be adding briefly to fairly hot water, at least 72 C. Not enough to cook, but enough to heat the shells enough to kill all bacteria on the shell (it seems very unlikely to me that the interior of an uncracked egg could have bacteria.) I’ve done this. Another solution could be wiping down with isopropyl alcohol – I have not done that but it ought to work, for those that are paranoid. Or some brief handwashing in running water of the kitchen sink with a touch of Dawn detergent spotted and worked onto the egg first surely ought to do it.

I probably eat around 8-10 a day,maybe 3-4 whole,and 5-6 whites-raw in protein shakes is best for me.
Raw eggs contain enzymes which help digest protein,cooking destroys these enzymes.
I am also sure I read cooked eggs have a lower bioavailability.

Eggs do not contribute to higher bad (LDL) cholesterol,contrary to commonly percieved opinions.
Despite no such association being proven by any such study (In fact studies over 30 years old showed POSITIVE or NEUTRAL effects on cholesterol) they gained this reputation,through bad science.
Only fairly recently have they started to shake off this bad image,and more studies are reinforcing this and showing even a high egg intake can raise good (HDL) cholesterol levels,with either a lower or only marginally higher total cholesterol level.
It appears the cholesterol globules in eggs are too big to be absorbed by the body,and pass through the digestive system.

For as far back as I can remember, an omelet consisting of 2 whole omega-3 eggs and half a cup of egg whites has been part of my breakfast. Every day.

I put away at least a dozen eggs daily. I rarely cook less than 4 at a time and routinely put 3 raw ones in my shake right before bed. Eggs are just a staple. I couldn’t do this thing without them.

I live in Austin and people think I’m a freak or a monster when it ever comes up. They are all sold by the cholesterol issue… as they eat their soy. Sad shit, my friends, sad shit…

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
For as far back as I can remember, an omelet consisting of 2 whole omega-3 eggs and half a cup of egg whites has been part of my breakfast. Every day. [/quote]

this is exactly what i do. with a bowl of oatmeal and frozen bberries, grean tea and a big glass of milk. mmmh

but just curious about the omelet, how do you prepare? do you mix the eggs and egg whites before cooking? do you cook the omelet like a regular omelet (flip it and fold it)?

i just cook the 2 eggs with egg whites sunny side up and don’t bother mixing or flipping them.

[quote]Sklander wrote:
I live in Austin and people think I’m a freak or a monster when it ever comes up. They are all sold by the cholesterol issue… as they eat their soy. Sad shit, my friends, sad shit…[/quote]

It’s safe to say that, like most doctors, it never occurred to them them the substance called “cholesterol” in eggs is a completely different substance (a rather small and inert steroidal molecule) than the substances called “cholesterol” in the blood (very large lipoprotein structures.)

But when, like most doctors, not knowing the difference, it’s obvious though wrong that since eggs contain a fair bit of cholesterol (the steroidal molecule), eating them must increase blood cholesterol (the lipoprotein structures.)

wow I think I’m gonna start adding a raw egg to my morning shake. I’ve always been tempted but have been put off by the fear of salmonella, now I’ll just give em a wash in hotish water. thanks Bill.

reguraly when feeling hungry but i have no time to prepare eggs, i just crack them on my teeth and drop them down my throat.

never had a problem

a couple of my mates stick them in a shaker with a bit of suger. they say it kind of tastes like liquid pancakes. :smiley:

Yea raw eggs actually add a nice flavour to a shake.

As for the health issues, I like to think that I’m am not a normal person with a normal lifestyle and therefore guidelines don’t apply to me. I love it how my oatmeal bag says the 6.5g of protein = 13% of the RDI. Fuck that.

I have seriously considered buying some ducks for eggs. My mate has some and man their eggs taste fucking awesome, and the yolks are huge!

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
For as far back as I can remember, an omelet consisting of 2 whole omega-3 eggs and half a cup of egg whites has been part of my breakfast. Every day.

this is exactly what i do. with a bowl of oatmeal and frozen bberries, grean tea and a big glass of milk. mmmh

but just curious about the omelet, how do you prepare? do you mix the eggs and egg whites before cooking? do you cook the omelet like a regular omelet (flip it and fold it)?

i just cook the 2 eggs with egg whites sunny side up and don’t bother mixing or flipping them.[/quote]

I put the eggs and the whites in a glass and mix them up to bust the yolks up. Pour it into a hot pan, flip it, then add some chopped spinach and some feta cheese and fold it up.

Rest of breakfast is 4 pieces of turkey bacon, an iced green tea smoothie with mixed berries, and two slices of pizza. Bulking rules. :smiley:

[quote]g star 24 7 wrote:
I probably eat around 8-10 a day,maybe 3-4 whole,and 5-6 whites-raw in protein shakes is best for me.
Raw eggs contain enzymes which help digest protein,cooking destroys these enzymes.
I am also sure I read cooked eggs have a lower bioavailability.

Eggs do not contribute to higher bad (LDL) cholesterol,contrary to commonly percieved opinions.
Despite no such association being proven by any such study (In fact studies over 30 years old showed POSITIVE or NEUTRAL effects on cholesterol) they gained this reputation,through bad science.
Only fairly recently have they started to shake off this bad image,and more studies are reinforcing this and showing even a high egg intake can raise good (HDL) cholesterol levels,with either a lower or only marginally higher total cholesterol level.
It appears the cholesterol globules in eggs are too big to be absorbed by the body,and pass through the digestive system.
[/quote]

I used to think the same thing, but it is the other way around my friend–cooked eggs are more bioavailable. There have been lots of threads about eggs lately, just do a search. I still consume raw eggs on occasion in my shakes, just for the convenience.

“The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white (Matthews 1990).”

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
hit the gym wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

i just cook the 2 eggs with egg whites sunny side up and don’t bother mixing or flipping them.

I put the eggs and the whites in a glass and mix them up to bust the yolks up. Pour it into a hot pan, flip it, then add some chopped spinach and some feta cheese and fold it up.

Rest of breakfast is 4 pieces of turkey bacon, an iced green tea smoothie with mixed berries, and two slices of pizza. Bulking rules. :smiley:

[/quote]

Your breakfast sounds fricking amazing. Iced green tea smoothie? Haven’t tried it but I have to now.

Relating this to the original question of the thread, I think I gained weight the quickest last year when I was eating around 5-7 eggs for breakfast and 7 whole eggs omelet almost every night.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:

Your breakfast sounds fricking amazing. Iced green tea smoothie? Haven’t tried it but I have to now.
[/quote]

It’s pretty awesome. I pour a packet of TeaTech(I like the lemon flavor)in a blender with a handful of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, a few ice cubes and some cold water and give it about a minute on full blast(if you go less than this I’ve found that it separates once you pour it into a glass and the fruit pulp rises and sits on top of the liquid).

I’ve also done kiwi/strawberry, tangerine/strawberry/blueberry, and my favorite honey dew melon/kiwi(the green color is amazing).

Give them a try, a great way to get a shit load of fruit in the morning.