T Nation

Down a Lot of Weight, Want to Build Muscle

I’ve written one post before. I’ve lost over 150lbs through diet/exercise alone. I’m about 25, male, 5’6", still 30lbs away from goal weight. I found out I had a hormone problem–hyperestrogenemia and hypogonadism. I’ve been taking an aromatase inhibitor for over a year which has helped with the clinical features (I’m not talking about relative deficiencies–these are real endocrine disorders).

Unfortunatly, I now have a lot of loose skin that I can’t afford to get rid of through surgery atm. I know that it’s something exercise alone won’t cure, but I wonder if it would at least help somewhat. I’m looking to simply build muscle to fill it in. I’m not looking for toning or anything like that–just build as much of it as I can. Since my test is now on the upper end of normal (900), I figure it’s a great time to start.

So anyway, does anyone have tips on how to begin? There is so much info out there that I can’t make sense of it. I just got my gym membership, and I have plenty of free time for the next two months.

5-3-1 boring but big and a surplus of calories. Clean calories mind you. I lost over 100lbs as well which is great but unfortunately it leaves us guys with alot of problems other guys don’t have to deal with. For example we both know guys who can eat all and what ever they want and wash it all down with a mass gainer shake and barely gain a pound after a month… how ever us on the other hand can look at a candy bar and gave 5 pounds.

1. Lift big
  2. Eat big but clean
  3. Sleep
  4. Repeat

i’m also an “easy gainer” despite being 6’3… i also lost 140 lbs.

2 months doesn’t seem like a long time to fill out 150 lbs of space w/ muscle… i think the guys trying to grow around here normally aim at around 1-2 lb a week… so that’s 8-16 lbs in 2 months, with maybe 1/3 of that fat.

what is your current height/weight?

since you’re asking for where to begin… it’s usually a strength foundation with some weekly HIIT thrown in.

try startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

personally, i liked to adjust SS a bit… instead of 3x/week w/ rest days in between, i would:
lift
rest
lift
conditioning (complexes, and alternating between sprints and longer runs)
rest
repeat

you may be able to do more, but i’m 30+ and this seemed like the right balance for me

Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify, I just mean that these next two months, I’m especially free so would like to get a good head start. I certainly plan on the results taking a lot longer.Sadly, even things like “conditioning”, “5-3-1”, and HITT are unfamiliar to me. Where can I go to learn even those basics?

Also, I’m confused. I’m going to gain fat along with the muscle?

[quote]laughatmyfunnysn wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify, I just mean that these next two months, I’m especially free so would like to get a good head start. I certainly plan on the results taking a lot longer.Sadly, even things like “conditioning”, “5-3-1”, and HITT are unfamiliar to me. Where can I go to learn even those basics?

Also, I’m confused. I’m going to gain fat along with the muscle?[/quote]

conditioning: Essentially, a different word for endurance training. Most guys who are into strength sports dislike long distance running so they will do things like intervall training with sprints, pushing or carrying heavy objects etc instead. Again, conditioning is just a hardcore sounding word for cardio to be honest.

5/3/1: A very popular program by Jim Wendler.

HIIT: high intensity interval training: Something like sprinting for 100 meters, jogging for 100 meters x 10. A form of cardio where you switch between different intensities with no rest in between. Usually done finished within 20-30 minutes but very tough.

You don’t necessarily gain fat if you’re very careful. But generally speaking, you should eat a BIT more than you expend to gain noticable quantities of muscle. Some people think you have to go the pro bodybuilder way and ‘bulk up’, i.e. eat so much you get fat while gaining muscle, then diet for a while and keep training to maintain the muscle you built - I disagree with this philosophy.

Read the stickies on top of the beginner forum. They will probably answer most of your questions.

At 25 you can transform way more than anyone thinks. Eat 2 X the veggies you eat(raw or steamed) buy them fresh. In 2 weeks again double your veggies intake. They are low cals richhhhhhhhhhhhhh in all you need if you add a little quality raw fat/lipid. Also a little fruit in season in good.