T Nation

DoveofWar08's Log

Ok, I have been reading the articles and boards here for a little over two years now. Finally decided to stop lurking and create a profile and post a log. I waited this long for the simple reason that I have always hated trolls that post shit with not pics/vids to back up what they write. So, here was my training session from tonight.

2/28/10

Band bench press.

BarX10
Bar+EFS average and mini bands X8
135+" " X5
225+" " X5
275+" " X3 for 4 sets
315+" " X2, failed on third attempt and spotter helped at lockout.

Seated high incline press
50sX10
75sX5
100sX5
125sX5
140sX5 for 2 sets
140sX6 failed at lockout here. Pisses me off, as I have done 7 reps with these before, but I think the benching fatigued my shoulders more than I thought. Oh well, will try and get more reps next week. The dumbells at my gym stop at 140, so here I am limited to increasing volume.

Cable face pulls
100lbs X20 for 3 sets

Cardio consisted of intervals on an inclined treadmill. Nothing fancy.

Some links to the video from tonight:

Ok, so it posted the actual vids instead of just links. Whatever. Tomorrow is squat night.

Nice bench numbers man. Cant wait to see what you can squat!

Thanks dude. Tonights squat session should be up shortly.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Nice bench numbers man. Cant wait to see what you can squat![/quote]

Ok, 3/1/10 session. Squating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPtbpQA8hY
The rest of the video from tonights training is up on you tube. This was my top set.

Squats went like this:
barX12
135X8
225X5
315X5
405X3
455X1
500X10

Decently happy with this for now. Ok PR, as my last “for volume” set PR was 495X7. I will take improvement when it happens. Notes on the lift itself:

1. I need more chalk on my back to keep the bar from sliding at the last few reps. This contributed to me having to good morning the weight up at the end and my form going to shit in general. Also caused the racking problem that you saw.
  2. This made my shoulders/elbows/wrists soar as metric fuck. I need to figure out some warmup drills for those joints.
  3. Got VERY lightheaded at the end. Breathing needs some work.

Leg Press
sled+200lbsX15
sled+400lbsX15
sled+600lbsX15
sled+800lbsX10 for two sets here

I stayed really light here. Mostly just wanted to get some blood moving and what not. Did not really feel like filming this or the rest of the session.

Neutral grip lat pull downs
100lbsX10
200lbsX10 for two sets
Stayed light here also. Really just wanted to get some blood moving into my shoulder joints and do a little upper back work. I did not have the gas to go heavy and do the lift much justice at this point, so I kept it light and went for moderate to high reps, for me anyway.

laying/lieing(how the hell do you spell this?) weighted crunches
90lbsX10 for three sets
I really don’t know what to call this machine, but I alternate between using it and a couple of others for general abdominal work. Again kept things pretty light.

Dammit, video problems. Lets try this again:

Edited in an attempt to fix video retardedness.

Perhaps this will work…

[video]1619[/video]

EDIT: Damn this thing, oh well, you get the idea.

Ok, my ineptitude with this sites video function not withstanding, here was the training.

3-3-10

My shoulders/back were still feeling a bit beat up from the squat session the night before last. Decided to do some moderate rep posterior chain/bicep work to see if I could work things out. Decently successfull night, as I am less sore and got a pretty good amount of blood flowing from this. Hit 2 PR’s on DB rows also.

SLDL
barX12
135X8
225X5
315X5
365X5
405X8
455X3

Had a little trouble and hitched some of these a bit. Something to work on.

DB rows
100X10 each arm
140X10 each arm
211.2X24 right arm PR, up from 20reps
211.2X23 left arm PR, up from 20reps

This is the first time I got an uneven number of reps between my arms. A bit annoying.
Strap started to come loose mid set on the left arm. I’ve also been having problems with my callouses in my hands ripping mid set with these. I probably need better straps, or just a stronger grip in general. I was looking at the camera before I started because some oblivious jackass was doing DB shrugs DIRECTLY ABOVE my camera. Thankfully, nothing happened from it though.

Seated calf raise
3X12

Lying weighted crunches
4X10

Phat grip DB hammer curls
50sX10(5 each arm) for 3 sets.

On the whole a good night. 2 PR’s, and some stuff to work on.

Videos:

[video]1620[/video]

[video]1623[/video]

[video]1621[/video]

[video]1622[/video]

Now, I have to take a few days off to go to a buddy’s shotgun wedding upstate. Probably won’t be able to hit the gym again until this Sunday. Honestly this is not a terrible deal, as I think I could use a bit of a deload.

[quote]DoveofWar08 wrote:
Perhaps this will work…

[video]1619[/video]

EDIT: Damn this thing, oh well, you get the idea.[/quote]
Jezuz tapdancing Christ, that’s damn impressive. I’ll be happy when I hit 500x1, 10 reps is just crazy

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:

[quote]DoveofWar08 wrote:
Perhaps this will work…

[video]1619[/video]

EDIT: Damn this thing, oh well, you get the idea.[/quote]
Jezuz tapdancing Christ, that’s damn impressive. I’ll be happy when I hit 500x1, 10 reps is just crazy[/quote]

Much thanks dude.

3/8/10

Training from last night. Got some deads and a little upper back work done. Broke down like this:

Deadlifts with the EFS heavy short bands added.

135X5
225X4
275X3
315X1 for 3 sets
365X0 Hit a real wall on the bands about 1-2 inches from lockout. Will post the vids of this a bit later.

[video]1629[/video]

Trap bar deadlifts from a defecit. The weights are approximate, as I have not actually weighed the bar yet.

315X5
405X5
495X10 Two rep PR here from the last time I did this. I used straps for my first 2 sets, but ditched them on the last one cause the bar tended to slide in my hands mid rep. This resulted in the back of the bar getting stuck on my ass just before lockout. My hands were worse for the wear, however.

[video]1632[/video]

Neutral grip lat pull down.

200X10
300X10 for 3 sets

Didn’t bother to film them. Nothing fancy here, just wanted to get a little volume in for my upper back. Stoped at 300 cause the plate stack ends there, and I didn’t really feel like fucking with the extra pins and plates.

Had some shit to do after this session, so abdominal and calf training is going down tomorrow after benching. Will be deadlifting heavy this friday.

3-10-10

Bench day.

Barbell flat bench. I bench touch and go for those who care.

BarX15
135X8
225X5
315X3
405X1
460X0
460X0
Lockout issues on both attempts.
My best bench is 450. I wanted to try and break that, but came up short. In retrospect I may have had 455 in me. I will upload videos of these later.

Dumbell flat bench.

I was a little pissed that I could not hit a PR with BB flat bench, so I wanted to see what I could do with DBs and managed 2 PR’s here.

Here’s the video:

[video]1633[/video]

[video]1634[/video]

While I am very happy I bought those handles, as they have made progression possible with this exercise, they are a total BITCH to get in place.

100sX10
140sX10
161.2sX6 1 rep PR for this weight
171.2sX4 2 rep PR for this weight
125sX15

Power tri push downs
3X25
Cable ab pull downs
3X20

And with that I called it a night. Sort of a half on half off night. Could not lockout 460, but managed some halfway decent PR’s with the DBs. Next week Floor press will be the order of the day for heavy chest work.

3-12-10

Deadlift night.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/8/YtwPdtPafUM

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/7/Lp8zp0QDR-4

I should have made smaller jumps on the way up to my max lift, but I have done 600 before, and thought I could just nail it. I turned out to be very wrong. Lesson learned.I have some major hitching going on here, and need to work on getting my hips to the bar faster. All comments/tips are appreciated.

BB bent over rows

405*7ish.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/6/3UB9CFuUF9w

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/5/T1nigdME3w0

Body english and low back fatigue are more of an issue with these than they are with the DB rows. I still need to play around with these a bit to make them look a little “prettier”.

Romanian deads
315*8 for 3 sets.

I believe I need a good bit more work on my posterior chain in an effort to get my hips through faster on deads. Will address this after ME squat next week I think.

3-14-10

DE bench night.

Worked up to 275 EFS minis for 5 sets of three.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/4/6jkpGV8bvOA

Seated military press from pins:

bar15
3152 Cheap PR here as I have not done this exercise in a few months.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/3/8oqdjRYEOIw

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/2/y1IR7n8tEZU

Shrugs
I just kinda felt the need to do these. Has been a while since I did them, and the 585*12 was a 2 rep PR

calves
Rolling tri presses

3-15-10

DE squat night.

Worked up to 315 EFS heavy bands for 3*3.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoveofWar08?feature=mhw4#p/u/0/pyArhBQnuA4

DB rows.
211.2*20

I came very damn close to pucking my guts out during these. Note, do not eat 3 large bean and chease burritos for lunch and then go and do high volume work.

Hack squat.

The sled, 360*10 for three sets.

After this I had to take a 20min bathroom break and call it a night. Fuck my stomach was killing me.

Ok, so the vids are appearing as nothing but white blobs. I assume this will be correct itself or something, as I have previously linked youtube vids in this log. I really hope I don’t have to load all those things individually on here instead of just putting them on youtubes list function.

I am a tax accountant, busy season at work is heating up, and I had a 12 hour work day today. I honestly only forsee more shit hitting the fan until 4-15-10 hits. Training will happen, and I will respond to what is written/asked of me, but it may be sporadic. If it takes me time to respond, its not because I am being an asshole or anything, its that I am rather busy. Anyway, time to hit the sack. Tomorrow is ME bench night. I have not decided if DB flat bench or floor presses will be the order of the day yet. Hopefully I will have time to post tomorrow after training.