T Nation

Doubling Up Bands?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone on here doubles up their bands when doing bench pressing or squatting. The reason being is that I have partially tried to do it before but it doesn’t seem like the bands have enough elasticity to stretch that much. Can anyone help me out with this question?

Yes.

You have to be strong enough to pull both ends of the doubled band over the bar though. If you’re not strong enough to do that, you either have some massive ass bands (a.k.a. too much band for your strength level) or you’re weak (a.k.a. why are you bothering with bands if you can’t pull a doubled band up to the bar? Just lift some damned weights).

If you do get it to work though get ready for some hellacious tension with the bigger bands.

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone on here doubles up their bands when doing bench pressing or squatting. The reason being is that I have partially tried to do it before but it doesn’t seem like the bands have enough elasticity to stretch that much. Can anyone help me out with this question?[/quote]

Double the bands for bench, generally, use minis.

For squat, the minis won’t be enough, but you don’t need to double. If theres slack, loop it through it self again where you anchor the band. If you double even light bands you’re going to end up with 200+lbs at the top.

Doubling is only for minis or monster minis in the BP. My pinks(which are now purple from JS) were an overwhelming amonut of band tension. Any time you have more band tension than bar weight stability is going to be a problem.

If you want a lot of band tension at the top of the BP choke the band to the bench, then under a DB then over the sleeve of the bar outside the plates. If you want more tension in the squat, take another turn around the sleeve of the bar with the band.

With bands you just have to experiment.

jack

how would you use bands. I wanna start using westside and im curious about the bands

[quote]Pbjoe wrote:
how would you use bands. I wanna start using westside and im curious about the bands[/quote]

“westside” training is not about bands.

[quote]Pbjoe wrote:
how would you use bands. I wanna start using westside and im curious about the bands[/quote]

heres one way of doing it

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
Pbjoe wrote:
how would you use bands. I wanna start using westside and im curious about the bands

“westside” training is not about bands.[/quote]

Yeah jesus… I was gonna say. If you think that’s westside training then you’re gonna be one of those guys who comes back in 6 mothns saying how shit it is and how you went no where.

Do some research on it first. The periodization bible by Dave Tate is a good starting point.