T Nation

Double Stimulation Training on Shoulders

Aloha Coach,

Byron has asked me to include your Double Stimulation training into my regiment. When I return to training in a week I will put this into play.

My Shoulders are my weakest area and I can only imagine how much bigger my Bench could be if my shoulders were stronger. I have difficulty training them as when I go to hard and heavy it tweaks the bulges in my neck which causes major headaches.

I can do OH Presses with about 50lbs-60lbs but don't get much heavier. Wondering if doing this followed by the Double Stimulation the following day would lead to some strength gains for the shoulders.

Do you have a suggestion for what shoulder exercises to use for the Double Stimulation training?

@Hawaii: Just a thought, but does a shoulder press with the dead squat bar feel better than a straight bar or dbs on your neck?

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Hawaii: Just a thought, but does a shoulder press with the dead squat bar feel better than a straight bar or dbs on your neck?[/quote]

I have tried many things and at times I just push through the pain. At one time I was doing Clean High Pulls that the Coach gave me and had worked up to 135lbs. The headaches would get to the point of nausea and loss of control in the left hand. I find that doing the OH Press with the slight forward motion like when using the Smith Machine or the STR Presses works better and I can get the weight up to the 60lbs for about 4 x 8 without too much of a problem.

To be honest though, I have not tried using the Dead Squat bar. Maybe with the difference in the handle setting it might be better. Will give that a try also.

Right now I would simply add the overhead press work on your bench press day. And the day(s) after your bench day(s) start the workout with isolation deltoid work.

I believe that in your case, right now, devoting a day to overhead pressing might be a mistake. If your shoulders are so weak, they do not need their own day. If anything it could be overkill and actually make them regress.

The delts play a big role in the bench press, so doing isolation work/double stimulation for the delts the day after bench is perfectly fine.

So add 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps on overhead work with your bench workout(s) and do plenty of isolation to start your next day’s session. The overhead work doesn’t have to be with a barbell. Use the apparatus that allows you to get the best loading without pain.

As your deltoids become stronger and the shoulders healthier, you will be able to benefit from a overhead press day.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Right now I would simply add the overhead press work on your bench press day. And the day(s) after your bench day(s) start the workout with isolation deltoid work.

I believe that in your case, right now, devoting a day to overhead pressing might be a mistake. If your shoulders are so weak, they do not need their own day. If anything it could be overkill and actually make them regress.

The delts play a big role in the bench press, so doing isolation work/double stimulation for the delts the day after bench is perfectly fine.

So add 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps on overhead work with your bench workout(s) and do plenty of isolation to start your next day’s session. The overhead work doesn’t have to be with a barbell. Use the apparatus that allows you to get the best loading without pain.

As your deltoids become stronger and the shoulders healthier, you will be able to benefit from a overhead press day.[/quote]

Aloha,

Mahalo for the response. Yeah a day devoted to shoulders is generally to much and actually sets me back. Will definitely change my OH work to the same days as my Bench and then do the deltoids the next day.

Aloha Coach,

Just wanted to give you an update. After implementing the Double Stimulation that you mentioned above. HUGE DIFFERENCE in the strength of my shoulders without neck pain.

With your little tweaks and with the Bench Coaching I am receiving, I hit a massive PR in my Geared Benching last night. Yeah, there is video for proof as well as all of my spotters. LOL.

Mahalo nui loa for all of your input over the past few years!