Double Stimulation Alternative

Ive been doing the double stimulation training method for about 2 months now along with the insulin diet and I’ve been getting good results.I’m not sure if it needs to be interchanged with a lower frequency program but assuming it does could cluster sets and a volume technique work just as well? For example

Monday:
Cluster sets bench press

Tuesday
cluster sets pull up or bent over rows

Wednesday
cluster sets shoulder press
cluster sets back squat

Thursday
Drop sets, rest pause etc for biceps and triceps 2 exercises each

Friday
drop sets, rest pause etc for chest and back 2 exercises each

Saturday
drop sets, rest pause ect for shoulders and legs 2 exercises each

Sunday
active recovery

The idea of cluster sets with compound movements early in the week with high volume training with isolation exercises later in the week seems like it could be effective and still hit everything twice a week. Thoughts?

[quote]Brennantdogg wrote:
Ive been doing the double stimulation training method for about 2 months now along with the insulin diet and I’ve been getting good results.I’m not sure if it needs to be interchanged with a lower frequency program but assuming it does could cluster sets and a volume technique work just as well? For example

Monday:
Cluster sets bench press

Tuesday
cluster sets pull up or bent over rows

Wednesday
cluster sets shoulder press
cluster sets back squat

Thursday
Drop sets, rest pause etc for biceps and triceps 2 exercises each

Friday
drop sets, rest pause etc for chest and back 2 exercises each

Saturday
drop sets, rest pause ect for shoulders and legs 2 exercises each

Sunday
active recovery

The idea of cluster sets with compound movements early in the week with high volume training with isolation exercises later in the week seems like it could be effective and still hit everything twice a week. Thoughts?[/quote]

Define what you mean by “cluster”… typically clusters are a strength method… the original cluster approach shooting for 4 to 6 total reps per set. But there are some variations to it.

As it was described in “the magic of cluster sets” article where it talked about clusters for size.

That’s only if you think cluster sets would be a good idea, I just think the intensity of cluster sets would be good to offset the volume/frequency of double stimulation. But anything where I can do the three day split of push/pull/legs twice a week would be great. Whether is its pre exhaustion then drop sets in the same day, or cluster sets then isolation work in the same day, or cluster sets then drop sets in the same day

[quote]Brennantdogg wrote:
That’s only if you think cluster sets would be a good idea, I just think the intensity of cluster sets would be good to offset the volume/frequency of double stimulation. But anything where I can do the three day split of push/pull/legs twice a week would be great. Whether is its pre exhaustion then drop sets in the same day, or cluster sets then isolation work in the same day, or cluster sets then drop sets in the same day[/quote]

I ask because there are many applications to clusters. The original one of 1-1-1-1-1 (5-6 reps with 10 sec of rest between reps) with about your 3RM (90%), which is more a strength and size method. It is one of my favorite ways of training but it is very draining.

Why? Because the volume of very intensity work exceeds the “optimal” range for an exercise. According to the Prilepin chart, with 90%+ weights the optimal number of repetitions (total reps, not reps per set) is 7 and the effective range of 4-10 total reps.

If you do a cluster set of 5 reps it means at the most 2 sets. So if you do 3-4 which is a normal set-up you greatly exceed what is optimal.

HOWEVER you CAN exceed the optimal zone for short period. That will work well as a “blitz” and will give you solid results in strength gains for 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 if recovery is good. But past that your gains will stagnate because of the excessive volume of high intensity work.

OK… the cluster variation you are talking about isn’t the original one. I personally call it either clusters of doubles (micro sets of 2) or clusters of triples (micro sets of 3). Which is a better method for size than original clusters. But it still represents a very intense training methods that I would personally not use for more than 4 weeks.