T Nation

Double Slit Experiment

This is pretty strange, anyone more familiar?

Yes. The double-slit experiment is fascinating. What he's talking about at the end is the 'observer effect.'

Cool stuff.

I remember reading about that experiment years ago and yeah...that's so cool.

If you read the Michael Crichton book Timeline (much better than the movie) he posits that the different pattern results from the photons interacting (ie:bumping into) the photons from the same experiment that's being carried by your alternate self in an alternate universe at the same time. Neat-o!

Ah, Timeline - fantastic book, terrible movie ..

"Quantum foam makes you roam"..

Yeah...I love how Crichton put as much thought into time travel as he did into the science in Jurassic Park. He made it feel feasible.

The movie was terribly boring, with a horrible cast.

WTFFFFFF

If you're interested, research the Wave-Particle Duality. It might help you understand what is going on here. I performed this experiment during my undergrad and basically this says that photons, and even other particles (like electrons), behave both as paticles and waves. The wave nature of light is what produces the bands.

If you like reading/learning about modern physics, some other really cool topics that had me intrigued (still do) in my modern/quantum classes are Quantum Entanglement and the Uncertainty Principle. If you are mathematically inclined try reading/looking at Schrodinger's equation. All of these might help shed some light (pardon the pun) on quantum mechanics. All of this stuff really changed the way I view the world around me!

my man, my roommate.

Does compression effect the frequency at which the photons travel?

What if the two slits create a more pronounced wave pattern through compressing space? If it does that might explain why, in the presence of detectors, it alters how the photons hit the wall.

well as far as i understand (which isn't all that far) the majority of our methodologies for detecting the presence of atomic (or like sized) particles involve energy. In most cases we put that matter into some sort of excited state and then detect the energy given off, therefor when we try and detect the location we add energy to the particle/photon and hence alter it's "natural" state (the one we'd like to know about)

Sorry what were we talking about? Completely lost my train of thought after seeing your avatar!!!!