Double Routine For O Lifts and Hypertrophy

Hi everybody, been a wile since I last posted. I have a lot of free time coming up for training and I want to put on as much muscle mass as possible while working on the Olympic lifts as well. I’m also putting an emphasis on posterior chain development as it is weak compared to the rest of my body and needs to be strengthened.

I have the following routine I’ve been following for 2 months that has given me some good strength and a bit of size but I am not sure how to work in the Olympic lifts other than the haphazard lifting I’ve been doing on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Monday:
Deadlift 3x3
Snatch Grip Deadlift 3x5
Barbell Step Ups 3x15
Barbell Glute Bridges 3x15

Tuesday:
One Arm Dumbell Row 5x5
Decline Close Grip Bench 5x10 (super setted with Rear Delt Row)
Dumbell Rear Delt Row 5x10
Low Pulley External Rotation 3x15 (super setted with dip shrugs)
Dip Shrugs 3x15

Thursday:
Front Squat 3x3
Overhead Squat 3x5
Straight Leg Deadlift 3x10
Dumbell Lunges 3x15 (supper setted with Calf Raises)
Rocking Calf Raises 2x50

Friday:
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Decline Close Grip Bench 5x10 (super setted with Incline Row)
Dumbell Incline Row 5x10
Rear Delt Flies 2x20 (super setter with below)
External Elbow Roation 2x15
One Arm Lower Trap Raises 2x20

I appreciate any help I can get.

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:
Hi everybody, been a wile since I last posted.[/quote]
Ha, I was wondering where you wandered off to. Glad to see you’re sticking to it.

If you had to prioritize 1st-2nd-3rd, how would your three goals end up?

If I had to simply plug in the O lifts into this routine, I’d go:

[quote]Monday:
Power clean 5x1-2
Deadlift 3x3
Barbell Step Ups 3x15
Barbell Glute Bridges 3x15

Tuesday:
One Arm Dumbell Row 5x5
Decline Close Grip Bench 5x10 (super setted with Rear Delt Row)
Dumbell Rear Delt Row 5x10
Low Pulley External Rotation 3x15 (super setted with dip shrugs)
Dip Shrugs 3x15

Thursday:
Front Squat 3x3
Power snatch + Overhead Squat 3x3-5 (snatch each rep before the squat.)
Straight Leg Deadlift 3x10
Dumbell Lunges 3x15 (supper setted with Calf Raises)
Rocking Calf Raises 2x50

Friday:
Power clean and press or jerk 4x2-4
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Decline Close Grip Bench 5x10 (super setted with Incline Row)
Dumbell Incline Row 5x10
Rear Delt Flies 2x20 (super setter with below)
External Elbow Roation 2x15
One Arm Lower Trap Raises 2x20[/quote]

But really, figuring out the #1 priority and designing the program around that, would be best. Since we’re talking Olympic lifts, Dan John is going to be a huge resource to check out.

look at steve pulcinellas log over at elitefts

Ok, first I have to say that colucci has some good advice. That said, I do not like your exercise order on lower body days–you definitely need to switch snatch grip dl and regular dl order in your original post, and you also definitely need to switch you overhead squat and front squat order.

You can handle much, much more poundage in the refular dl and the front squat compared to the snatch grip and OH squat. Therefore use them as warm-ups for the heavier exercises. I have done this for years and it works extremely well with myself and others I have used it on.

I also do not like doing squats in front of the olympic lifts like Mr. Colucci has. This is partly personal preference, and Chris gives good advice with a lot of experience, but I do not favor this set-up for low qualified lifters because the olympic lifts require very crisp technique–and mental and physical freshness is a prerequisite to be able to focus on the speed and positioning needed for a good jerk, clean, or snatch. After heavy front squats lower qualified lifters are more liable to lose focus and technical proficiency in my experience. Not to mention that the loads in thr snatch, clean, and jerk are all less than front squatting and deadlifting poundages. Therefore I find it best to do the olympic variations first after warm-up.

The other thing I would say is to re-look at your upper body days. The shoulder prehab and rotator cuff work is excellent, but that day you only have 3 exercises that I would qualify as “primary compund lifts” for size and strength: pendlay row, bench, and incline row. That is not really enough for upper body work when mass gain is the focus. Same on Tuesday.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Ok, first I have to say that colucci has some good advice. That said, I do not like your exercise order on lower body days–you definitely need to switch snatch grip dl and regular dl order in your original post, and you also definitely need to switch you overhead squat and front squat order. [/quote]
Thanks man. Yeah, I had a bit of a brain fart and forgot what I was thinking with the PS/OHS after the front squat. The O variations should go first in the session.

And I agree that snatch-grip deads after conventional deads would be backwards, so in my tweaked version, I did intentionally omit the snatch grip.

Pretty much agree. More exercises and/or exercise variety would be a better way to go for size. As I said, figuring out if the top priority will make it easier to setup a more appropriate program.

Nah no worries, I have brain farts all the time! Like your posts a lot man.