Double Progression Sets/Reps

Coach -

My friend wants to do the following exercises in a Lower/Upper split. He wants to use double progression because he wants as basic of a progression as possible. He wants to be big and strong. He has initial goals of being able to do reps with a 315 Back Squat, 365 Deadlift, 135 OH Press, and 225 Bench Press.

What sets/reps for double progression would you suggest according to this setup?

MONDAY
Back Squat
RDL
Assistance

TUESDAY
OH Press
Incline Bench Press
Assistance

THURSDAY
Deadlift
Front Squat
Assistance

FRIDAY
Bench Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Assistance

big and strong ; 5x5 using a double progression method.

MONDAY
Back Squat 4 x 4-6
RDL 4 x 6-8
Assistance 3 x 8-10

TUESDAY
OH Press 4 x 6-8
Incline Bench Press 4 x 4-6
Assistance 3 x 8-10

THURSDAY
Deadlift 5 x 3-5
Front Squat 4 x 4-6
Assistance 3 x 8-10

FRIDAY
Bench Press 4 x4-6
Close Grip Bench Press 4 x 6-8
Assistance 3 x 8-10

4 Likes

Thanks so much Coach, my friend appreciates this!

I like this set up!

To do a double progression you need a rep range because you either add reps or weight.

For example is I tell you to do 4 x 4-6 reps, you must do all of these sets with the same weight. If you can do all four sets for 6 reps, at the next workout you add weight. But if you get something like 6, 6, 5, 5 you keep the same weight at the next workout until you can get 6, 6, 6, 6

1 Like

Coach is there a reason you prefer 4x4-6 vs 5x3-5, 4x8-10, 10x2-3 for some of the other lifts?

The goal is to be big and strong. The 4-6 range is the best to do that. 3-5 works well too (and really there isn’t much of a difference), 6-8 is great for that goal, with a bit more emphasis on size but still a significant impact on strength and the assistance work we want to use that to fix lagging muscles with minimal neurological stress.

BTW I wouldn’t always use these loading schemes, in fact I would likely change them after 4-6 weeks.

1 Like

yes, so a 5x5 using double progression method is not ok ?

5x5 cannot use a double progression because it uses a fixed rep number (5) instead of a range (3-5 for example). It can only use a simple progressive overload model.

oh ok i understand now ! thank you