T Nation

Double Progression for Size

What would be better for my assistance work if I want to add size..... 5x8 double progression method or using a rep rang of 5x6-8 and when I can get 8 or more reps I increase weight?

I just feel like with double progression if I can get 8 reps on all 5 sets then the first few sets are too light to have give a growth response.

[quote]Zach11 wrote:
What would be better for my assistance work if I want to add size… 5x8 double progression method or using a rep rang of 5x6-8 and when I can get 8 or more reps I increase weight?

I just feel like with double progression if I can get 8 reps on all 5 sets then the first few sets are too light to have give a growth response.[/quote]

If you’re able to get 8 reps on all 5 sets you should be using more weight, working up to being able to get 8 reps again.

“using a rep rang of 5x6-8 and when I can get 8 or more reps I increase weight?” is double progression.

Read the first section in this article: https://www.T-Nation.com/training/6-ways-to-keep-getting-stronger

You understand double progression, just not as double progression. If that makes sense…

Anyway, to answer your question, any model for getting stronger on assistance work, works. Don’t sweat the assistance. Focus on the main, compound lifts.