T Nation

Double Medicine Ball Overhead Press

I've been experimenting with this for a while now. It's just like pressing with dumbbells except you have a medicine ball in each hand. Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have medicine balls heavy enough to make it really worthwhile. It's a great test of balance even with light weights. Has anybody else ever tried this? It works great with the bench press, too.

[quote]myonlyvice wrote:
I’ve been experimenting with this for a while now. It’s just like pressing with dumbbells except you have a medicine ball in each hand. Unfortunately, my gym doesn’t have medicine balls heavy enough to make it really worthwhile. It’s a great test of balance even with light weights. Has anybody else ever tried this? It works great with the bench press, too. [/quote]

You could just grab the bottom end of a dumbbell, place it upright on your palm and press that. I don’t think it should be a pillar of your program, but if you enjoy it, press away. It may be good for your rotator cuff and stuff.

Try some presses holding a kettlebell in the bottoms up position. You need balance like the medicine balls, but you need wrist and grip too. Everything has to be lined up correctly, shoulder tight, elbow up, forearm/wrist vertical. If anything is out of place, the kettlebell falls over. Instant feedback!

They are great a warm up for real pressing, or on their own for like prehab or restoration work.

Soon everyone will be doing these.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Try some presses holding a kettlebell in the bottoms up position. You need balance like the medicine balls, but you need wrist and grip too. Everything has to be lined up correctly, shoulder tight, elbow up, forearm/wrist vertical. If anything is out of place, the kettlebell falls over. Instant feedback!

They are great a warm up for real pressing, or on their own for like prehab or restoration work.

Soon everyone will be doing these.

[/quote]

I like this idea. In the absence of heavy med balls this could be an alternative, if done very carefully. However, dropping a kettlebell, or a dumbbell as the person above you suggested, involves a whole array of potential negative consequences. That’s why medicine balls are so great for this–they’re not going to break when you drop them, or break your floor, or you.

And like the other guy said, these will never be the cornerstone of anyone’s program. They are different though, and present quite a challenge. They also teach balance and body control which are too often overlooked in training programs. Plus they are fun.