T Nation

Double Joint Causing Pain?

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have a “double joint” in my right shoulder (not sure of the correct term). I have worked my way up to a 260lb flat bench for 3 sets of 6. Lately my shoulder has been hurting mostly at night during sleep.

This might just be the common rotator cuff problem, which I’ll try to strengthen, but do you guys have any experience with a double joint causing problems with benching?
Thanks.

How much can you row?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
How much can you row?[/quote]

Good question. I would also add that since there is no such thing as a double joint it probably has to do with technique.

Search ‘powerlifting form’ for bench. It helped me alot.

I’m probably not rowing enough - 170 lbs 3x6 (thats pushing it on good form).
I know double joint is probably not the correct term, but I can move the socket back and forth, it has always freaked people out. Just wondering if there is a connection.

[quote]Rktman wrote:
I know double joint is probably not the correct term, but I can move the socket back and forth, it has always freaked people out. Just wondering if there is a connection.[/quote]

That sounds like weak stabilizer muscles. Read ‘shoulder savers.’ Search it on this site, it’s a few months old.

[quote]Rktman wrote:
I know double joint is probably not the correct term, but I can move the socket back and forth, it has always freaked people out. Just wondering if there is a connection.[/quote]

Sounds like a lot of joint capsule laxity. I’d see a physical therapist for a good evaluation. May need the knife for a capsular shift. You may be able to rehab your way out of it though.

My 2 cents.

As an update for anyone reading this in the future, I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon today. They took an X-Ray and felt of my shoulder. The X-ray revealed that the joint looked good. The surgeon said it was probably rotator cuff related. The double joint thing is called voluntarily something, not a big deal in his opinion.

He recommended to continue strengthening the RC muscles. He didn’t seem too worried about it and encouraged me not to stop exercising.

I will be changing my routine slightly back to the TBT program. I had went to a 2 day per week core routine with heavy benching twice per week.
The bill for the whole thing was <$200 of which I will have to pay $120, well worth the piece of mind.