Double Clean with 102.5 and Squatting

Hi there my competition is around 2 weeks time! i am willing to go all out in squat for the next one week and the last week i will just to bar work and train one day with 70-80% of my lifts? I was wandering is it a good idea to go all out in squat for the next week. When I mean all out I mean lots of singles and double. Not high reps. I am squatting 3 times a week

any inputs koing and Jonty? Or anyone for that matter

I’ve done some of my best competitions when I went up to a 2RM back squat Monday, a 2RM front squat Wednesday and then competed Saturday, but I was also very used to high intensity squatting at those times. If you’re only squatting three times a week it shouldn’t be a big deal to go all out for a week before taking a taper week into the competition.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
I’ve done some of my best competitions when I went up to a 2RM back squat Monday, a 2RM front squat Wednesday and then competed Saturday, but I was also very used to high intensity squatting at those times. If you’re only squatting three times a week it shouldn’t be a big deal to go all out for a week before taking a taper week into the competition.[/quote]

I like to FS to a heavy 3repper on the Wednesday personally.

BUT for you I’d work out what works for you. If you aren’t use to squatting heavy often then I wouldn’t go heavy 2 weeks out or on the Wednesday of the comp on the weekend.

I’d carry on what your doing but drop the volume by 20-30% and just stay fresh. What have you done at previous comps? How did your leg strength feel? You won’t get stronger but you can get weaker by doing too much in the way of lifts or squats that you are not use to the two weeks before a comp.

Bar work? You should be doing what you have been doing already. I’d go up to your openers or 5kg below them the week before a comp and do moderate squats. No pulls no assistance. This is always a steady way to go in to a comp IMO until you know what works for you.

I personally like to go balls out 3 weeks before a comp on the lifts as it gives me enough time to recover and be on form for the comp. I could maybe try 2 weeks but I don’t usually do that.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Bar work? You should be doing what you have been doing already. I’d go up to your openers or 5kg below them the week before a comp and do moderate squats. No pulls no assistance. This is always a steady way to go in to a comp IMO until you know what works for you.

I personally like to go balls out 3 weeks before a comp on the lifts as it gives me enough time to recover and be on form for the comp. I could maybe try 2 weeks but I don’t usually do that.

Koing[/quote]
Oftentimes I’ll max out on the lifts 7 days out, hit openers 5 days out, and then go through my competition warmup 3 days out, and also do squats on each of those days. Generally with some lighter lifts in between too, generally I don’t take the day before competition off, I take a full day off 2 days out, then come in and do some light power snatches and power cleans day before. All depends how training has been going though.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]
Oftentimes I’ll max out on the lifts 7 days out, hit openers 5 days out, and then go through my competition warmup 3 days out, and also do squats on each of those days. Generally with some lighter lifts in between too, generally I don’t take the day before competition off, I take a full day off 2 days out, then come in and do some light power snatches and power cleans day before. All depends how training has been going though.[/quote]

Yeah it’s different for everybody, and the experienced lifter knows what works for them.

For me
3 weeks out: Heavy 3RM FS, max Sn, max CJ : No pulls
2 weeks out: heavy 3 FS, heavy sn, heavy cj : No pulls
1 week out: heavy 3 FS, openers for Sn and CJ : No pulls
Mon -5kg openers
Wed heavy 3 FS, -5kg openers
Sat local comp
Sun nationals : 85+ guys lift on the Sun

So I take Thur and Fri off completely.

Koing