T Nation

Double Body Weight Bench

Yeah i know. Like the dude claiming he has only been lifting for 2-3 months and can only like 230 pounds. I call bullshit. Since when does someone with no training lift over 100 kg after 2 months training? Now obviously T-Nation bench numbers will be way above the norm as they are mostly serious lifters but when newbies come in and cry at their weak 230 pound bench, I just have to say what the fuck is going on.

Its not the worst here, I mean you can go to forums where all the 15 year olds are benching 300 pounds.

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Yeah i know. Like the dude claiming he has only been lifting for 2-3 months and can only like 230 pounds. I call bullshit. Since when does someone with no training lift over 100 kg after 2 months training? Now obviously T-Nation bench numbers will be way above the norm as they are mostly serious lifters but when newbies come in and cry at their weak 230 pound bench, I just have to say what the fuck is going on.

Its not the worst here, I mean you can go to forums where all the 15 year olds are benching 300 pounds. [/quote]

haha…hey you would have to be some pussy not to be able to bench 300lbs. Seriously though, at my gym i can count on one hand the number of people hitting 300lbs on a bench, and half of them wear gear to get it. Are most of the people here powerlifters, cus if not, 2x body weight is a pretty hefty bench for a normal guy that just works out.

“i’ve had one workout and can only bench 350lbs, i suck”

I figure that there isn’t really any point in lieing on the internet. I’m never gonna meet any of yall, and i dont see how it would make me feel good about myself to have someone congratulate me for something that i know i can’t do. But none the less, I’ll try to get some pics if at all possible.

[quote]ConorM wrote:

Its not the worst here, I mean you can go to forums where all the 15 year olds are benching 300 pounds. [/quote]

I don’t know that everyone here is a powerlifter, personnally I played college football. But at my gym (the fotoball weightroom) It would be easier to count the people that aren’t hitting 300. Also, I did put up over 300 pounds in high school. Its not impossible, it just seems like everyone is a doubter. You say that 2x bw is a lot for someone who just works out? what about someone who just works out for 1.5-2 hours 4x a week for the past 12 years. Point being that you might just work out to look better or feel better or whatever, but you can still work out hard and try to get as much out of it as possible. As far as the “I benched once and put up 1000 pounds” guys, Screw them, I don’t care. If they have to lie to make themselves feel better, just ignore them and they won’t get their instant gratification, and they’ll go away.

[quote]baretta wrote:

haha…hey you would have to be some pussy not to be able to bench 300lbs. Seriously though, at my gym i can count on one hand the number of people hitting 300lbs on a bench, and half of them wear gear to get it. Are most of the people here powerlifters, cus if not, 2x body weight is a pretty hefty bench for a normal guy that just works out.

“i’ve had one workout and can only bench 350lbs, i suck”
[/quote]

[quote]Chris Aus wrote:
everyone on the internet is strong [/quote]

Yup.

385 @ 190 that was 27 yrs ago and before rotator surgery 2 tears. now @ 190 and 52 only 300 which I do each yr on my B’Day since the surgery on my shoulder 4yrs ago.

[quote]perfect body wrote:
Speaking of strength related issues, how many people on this forum can lift double their weight on bench press?
Yesterday in the gym I pushed 160kg and I’m 77kg…that’s just nuts…[/quote]

OH MY GOD…That IS just nuts!!! You must be very strong! (There, is that what you were going for)?

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
perfect body wrote:
Speaking of strength related issues, how many people on this forum can lift double their weight on bench press?
Yesterday in the gym I pushed 160kg and I’m 77kg…that’s just nuts…

OH MY GOD…That IS just nuts!!! You must be very strong! (There, is that what you were going for)? [/quote]

LOL, Yea with a name like “perfect body” and this post, I think he IS looking for an ego stroke.

He might as well have said, “How many people here are as strong as me? I’m like crazy strong.”

You know, you’re right. Among the average gym rat, the 300 pound bench seems to be a real watershed weight that divides seperates the beginner/intermediate from the more advanced lifter. This assumes the lifters are male and of something like an average height/weight. That is, almost no one is going to get a 300 bench without at least a couple years at some point in their life under a bar. Given the investment required to hit 300, not many men in the land of treadmills and cybex equipment have hit this mark. In my mind, for most men, three bills means you have paid some initial dues in this- America’s unofficial yardstick of strength.

TVEDDY

it wasnt aimed at you… although a 495 x 3 raw bench for a guy under 300 is rare as hens teeth…

it was more a general observation that lots of people that post on the internet are or claim to be extremly strong…

ive seen some insane claims, really insane…

to single someone out would be foolish…

i guess there are a couple of explanations…

there are millions of people who use the net and many of them are strong no doubt… and perhaps the strong ones are the ones that post their numbers

alternatively people lie

obviously its somewhere in the middle… some lie and some a just fucking strong… and a little bit of if you are honest and your numbers arent big you are less likely to post, adding to the illusion :slight_smile:

Strength has never been my strong point (ba-dum-dum). I finally hit 2 plates per side(225) this week and I weigh in at 203. This took my 11 months of solid lifting and eating. I’m making progress every week though so maybe that will be 300 by next year.

wow. 220 lbs. at 150 lbs. I’m by far the weakest.

285@ 155,and 310@ 165. Every time I get stronger I get heavier. Or is that the cart before the horse?

[quote]Vintor wrote:
wow. 220 lbs. at 150 lbs. I’m by far the weakest.[/quote]

I dont know my 1rm but I think I got you beat as far as being the relatively weakest person here. Im 6’2", 225 and, on a good day, I can only put up 245 for three reps!

No problem. I didn’t take it personally. I was just trying to make the point that everybody on here seems to be skeptical of everyone. Granted there are times people need to have “Bullshit” called on them. Like the people that make outragous claims and say that they just woke up one day and they were strong or whatever. But at the same time, I know of a true freshman that weighs about 200 pounds and is benching over 450 and squatting over 600. I’m betting that if he were to post on here, he have someone ask for pics or be called a liar or whatever. So I guess that I just wanted to make the point that there always somebody out there that is stronger than you are, so don’t be skeptical when you hear about them.

[quote]Chris Aus wrote:
TVEDDY

it wasnt aimed at you… although a 495 x 3 raw bench for a guy under 300 is rare as hens teeth…

it was more a general observation that lots of people that post on the internet are or claim to be extremly strong…

ive seen some insane claims, really insane…

to single someone out would be foolish…

i guess there are a couple of explanations…

there are millions of people who use the net and many of them are strong no doubt… and perhaps the strong ones are the ones that post their numbers

alternatively people lie

obviously its somewhere in the middle… some lie and some a just fucking strong… and a little bit of if you are honest and your numbers arent big you are less likely to post, adding to the illusion :slight_smile:

[/quote]

It’s why powerlifting meets own.

[quote]perfect body wrote:
Yesterday in the gym I pushed 160kg and I’m 77kg…that’s just nuts…[/quote]

Great job man I hope to someday do a double BW bench myself. Currently though I am around 300 @ 218 Raw. I have a long way to go.

good lift tvreddy

i hit 530 in a single ply meet @ 276 give or take but the wk and a half before the contest i hit 465 Raw once. so not exactly 2X with or without gear.

question. when you sey “raw” what do you mean. I take it as NO supportive gear. no belt, no wrist wraps, nothing. am I right? or just raw as non-shirt?

[quote]Chris Aus wrote:
everyone on the internet is strong [/quote]

900x3 at 130lbs

[quote]lolfinkle wrote:
Chris Aus wrote:
everyone on the internet is strong

900x3 at 130lbs[/quote]

Is that all?

You need to start lifting more seriously. Maybe go for a bulking cycle. That’ll help with your numbers.