Double Barbell Deadlift

Hey Coach:

You’ve probably tried everything to do with weights twice - just curious if you recommend this movement. Looks to have potential…

Double Barbell Deadlift
This may soon become my new favorite exercise due to the new angle on an old favorite. Essentially you get in between the bars, and deadlift away, the movement is the same, except that it might be less stressful on the back if you lean into the pull of the movement.

looks like it would be awkward getting the plates by your knees. farmers walk DB’s would be better i think.

[quote]coolusername wrote:
looks like it would be awkward getting the plates by your knees. farmers walk DB’s would be better i think.[/quote]

Here is the mid-point and finish position

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

looks like it would be awkward getting the plates by your knees. farmers walk DB’s would be better i think.[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[/quote]

similar to trap bar, but isee were the angle finishes different

At that angle I don’t see how you’re going to get much activation in the lower back / hamstring region, which is why I do deadlifts in the first place. Plus, you’re going to be a bit unstable since you have to avoid tipping over, much more than a regular deadlift that you can keep close to the body. Trap bar would work better for this and you could go heavier without feeling unstable at midpoint. Might be an interesting variation though.

v/r

Gremlin

Gremlin is right: the trap bar deadlift would be a much better option. Obviously you need to have a trap bar, but DB deadlifts also do the trick.

The problems I see with the lift you showed are:

1. Improper strength curve: the higher you go in the range of motion, there less resistance there is because the pivot point makes it easier as you progress through the ROM.

2. A lot of stress on the wrists: at the top position there will be a lateral deviation of the wrist, due to the angle of the bar. This is very unnatural and puts a lot of strain on the wrists.

3. The plates may make it cumbersome at the top of the movement.

I’m all for creating new exercises if they provide something better than what we already have. But I simply don’t see this exercise as something that fits that bill.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Gremlin is right: the trap bar deadlift would be a much better option. Obviously you need to have a trap bar, but DB deadlifts also do the trick.

The problems I see with the lift you showed are:

1. Improper strength curve: the higher you go in the range of motion, there less resistance there is because the pivot point makes it easier as you progress through the ROM.

2. A lot of stress on the wrists: at the top position there will be a lateral deviation of the wrist, due to the angle of the bar. This is very unnatural and puts a lot of strain on the wrists.

3. The plates may make it cumbersome at the top of the movement.

I’m all for creating new exercises if they provide something better than what we already have. But I simply don’t see this exercise as something that fits that bill.[/quote]

Thanks for answering, Coach.

Back to the drawing board - no trap bar @ my gym - although DB’s do go to 150’s and that is decent, but still awkward to lift em close to body.