Dosadno's Training Log - Rippetoe

I am 18 years old, 160 pounds, 6’1". I am not sure about my body fat %, I have to look into which is the most accurate way, and start tracking that also. I don’t know my chest, arms, legs, calves etc. measurements, should I find those out? So this will be the first time I actually make a training log I think it will help out a lot, not only to track progress, but to hear feedback from everyone.

My goals are to get a lot bigger since I am too skinny, I am shooting for 1 pound a week, maybe 4 pounds a month. I will be eating around 4,000 calories of 80% clean foods to minimize fat gains, and maximize muscle gains, so I hope these goals are realistic. I will slowly build up to 4,000 calories a day, if needed, I will add more.

I have had some past workout experience, but I consider myself a beginner, although I do know how to perform most exercises with good form. I wasn’t serious, and would eat very bad. At times I got serious for about 1-2 months, then was lazy 4 months, so there was no real use, but this time I am real serious.

I will be doing Rippetoe’s workout, I read up a lot about it, and it looks pretty promising while I am a beginner, after that, I am still deciding what I would move up to. I love compound exercises so I am excited. I work in construction 9-5 so hopefully it doesn’t take too much from my workouts. This is the basic version of the workout:

Workout A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Workout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 powercleans
2x8 Chinups

I will edit this post later and add some pictures of upper body, as well as lower body, so I have something to relate to in the future.

Tips/Suggestions are appreciated.

Today was my first workout, it felt pretty good, and I feel there will be a lot of newbie gains at first and the weight I’m pushing will go up a lot hopefully.

This is what I did

Workout A:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Squat

3x5x155

I felt like I could have added a little weight on it, I will do that next workout. Form was good, made sure I went low enough.

Incline bench

3x5x105

I thought I would be able to do more weight, but I suck at incline that’s my weakest, although I would consider everything weak at this point. The first set was sloppy, but the last 2 I got my form better, so I will probably do the same weight next time, or add just a little.

Deadlifts

1x5x165

This is my favorite exercise, I love deadlifts. I think there will be a lot of room for improvement here / big gains, I just wish I could do more since they are so awesome, but the program says to do this much so I will follow it.

Dips

1x5xbodyweight

I only did 5 of these since technically I am not supposed to be adding a 4th exercise yet, but I felt that I lifted before and I really wanted to do it, I think I will start doing all 4 exercises instead of the starting 3 only, I will think about it though.

Food
( don’t have time to count the calories now )

8 A.M. - 4 eggs on 1 flour tortilla

10 A.m - 1 cup Mixed nuts

11 A.m - 1 whole wheat turkey sandwich, half sandwich.

12:30 PM - 1 whole wheat Roast beef sandwich

5:00 PM - Handful sunflower seeds + 1 very small snack bar

7:00 PM - HUGE piece of turkey, lots of mixed vegetables,
little bit pasta, 1 banana

8:00 PM - WORKOUT

9:00 PM - High calorie protein shake

6 water bottles throughout the day.

I bought some food today so I will have better meal betwen 12:30 and 5:00 pm tomorrow.

Ehh only gonna get 7 hours of sleep, I will try to get 8 for now on.

Any particular reason you decided to replace flat bench with incline bench?

Hmm thanks for pointing that out. Am I only supposed to do flat, or alternate? BTW I got a bunch of logs coming just been VERY busy, but I will update tomorrow.

[quote]dosadno wrote:
Hmm thanks for pointing that out. Am I only supposed to do flat, or alternate? BTW I got a bunch of logs coming just been VERY busy, but I will update tomorrow.[/quote]

Flat. Incline works the shoulders as well as chest. You’re already doing the military press. No need to double dip.