T Nation

Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II

Well…well…here we go…again. Rematch slated for Dec.29th.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30149/ufc-boss-junior-dos-santos-cain-velasquez-ii-targeted-for-dec-29-card-in-vegas.mma

Zuffa is not waiting on Overeem and whatever bs is going on with drug testing,etc. So…Cain is getting another shot(and no excuses for coming off injury…granted he stays healthy till December. Thoughts? Will fight go differently than first fight?? I undoubtedly think so.

I sort of wonder if during the first time Dos Santos just went for broke knowing his left knee wouldn’t hold up forever, and Velasquez just didn’t pressure him enough soon enough as Cain said.

I would like Junior to win, but Cain might take him down for longer than Carwin could, and he is known for controlling from the top.

I wonder if Junior can strike effectively off of his back.

First fight was such a flash in the pan I think the second will have to be a lot different, even if JDS still wins in the end.

I also wonder about injuries for both of them.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

I wonder if Junior can strike effectively off of his back. [/quote]

Striking effectively off his back?? The question is how good is JDS really off his back as far as controlling/avoiding damage…considering he’s never been put in that situation.

I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges.

this sucks Cain will win due to wrestling and we will never see Reem vs JDS fight

i still dont see why everyone is so high on JDS as well?

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:
this sucks Cain will win due to wrestling and we will never see Reem vs JDS fight

i still dont see why everyone is so high on JDS as well?[/quote]

I would like to see Cain win…but let’s not act like JDS is some scrub on a pedestal. It’s easy to see(but not necessarily understand) why people are “high” on JDS. Come on,son.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges. [/quote]

He has stuffed everybody other than Carwin, but remember Cain caught Junior’s kick who had to get out of it very quickly. Antonio Silva tried it and was down until the finish, and he is a bigger specimen than most.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges. [/quote]

He has stuffed everybody other than Carwin, but remember Cain caught Junior’s kick who had to get out of it very quickly. Antonio Silva tried it and was down until the finish, and he is a bigger specimen than most.[/quote]

I can’t tell what your point is shrug I hope you’re not saying that if Cain can keep Bigfoot down…he can keep JDS down with no problem.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges. [/quote]

Yeah, probably this. Not convinced Cain can get JDS down at all, even less so that he can keep him there. Not only is his TDD ridiculous (88%!), but he uses his range so well, opponents seem to give up on the TD after a couple attempts.

Cain is going to end up striking with him, and losing. May not get KOd this time, but certainly picked apart.

[quote]Khaine wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges. [/quote]

Yeah, probably this. Not convinced Cain can get JDS down at all, even less so that he can keep him there. Not only is his TDD ridiculous (88%!), but he uses his range so well, opponents seem to give up on the TD after a couple attempts.

Cain is going to end up striking with him, and losing. May not get KOd this time, but certainly picked apart.[/quote]

I can see this, but both Cain and JDS can exhibit less than stellar head movement while dropping their hands. That has me unsure how it will go.

I no longer feel it is fair to say he is over rated. He has beaten enough contenders that he is somewhat a known quantity. The only question, and it is a big one, is how good is he off his back. The fact none of the wrestlers have put him there is to his credit.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Khaine wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges. [/quote]

Yeah, probably this. Not convinced Cain can get JDS down at all, even less so that he can keep him there. Not only is his TDD ridiculous (88%!), but he uses his range so well, opponents seem to give up on the TD after a couple attempts.

Cain is going to end up striking with him, and losing. May not get KOd this time, but certainly picked apart.[/quote]

I can see this, but both Cain and JDS can exhibit less than stellar head movement while dropping their hands. That has me unsure how it will go.

I no longer feel it is fair to say he is over rated. He has beaten enough contenders that he is somewhat a known quantity. The only question, and it is a big one, is how good is he off his back. The fact none of the wrestlers have put him there is to his credit.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

That’s a good observation and something I can’t claim to have considered before. Will keep an eye out for this. I feel like JDS is better at moving in and out, whereas Cain plods straight forward more. Also think JDS uses his reach much better.

JDS has, with the exceptions of Brock and Reem, cleaned up the division. Yeah, it’s a shallow one, but he has taken on and beaten everybody they’ve put in front of him, which just happens to be everybody worth mentioning (don’t say Kongo).

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

I highly suspect that JDS won’t be on his back at any given point…but both of these guys have top notch agility during scrambles…so anything can happen in those exchanges. [/quote]

He has stuffed everybody other than Carwin, but remember Cain caught Junior’s kick who had to get out of it very quickly. Antonio Silva tried it and was down until the finish, and he is a bigger specimen than most.[/quote]

I can’t tell what your point is shrug I hope you’re not saying that if Cain can keep Bigfoot down…he can keep JDS down with no problem. [/quote]

I hate me too for saying it, I am just thinking that Cain will force some ground component. Junior at least threw a decent head kick at Carwin. If his striking arsenal is pared down for risk of a caught and capitalized on kick, and Cain threw kicks himself the first time, I wonder if that is an imbalance. Cain was a wrestler on a caliber with Lesnar and might slow Junior down for a takedown.

What the hell, I am eager to see what kind of Jiu-jitsu Junior can come up with, a showcase of that against wrestling would be interesting.