Dorian Yates Style of Training

Do I have to go beyond positive failure on my working sets for this type of training to be effective?

Thanks

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/my_thoughts_on_how_to_handle_yatesstyle_training_no_this_is_not_the_promised_powerbuilding_article_sorry

just something to bear in mind brah: yates was on roids.

dont get me wrong im not condemning him for it nor denying his great work ethic or that he was an amazing bodybuilder.

i’m simply saying that his program obviously worked for him, which does not mean it will work for you, unless you are also on juice.

that is all.

[quote]IrishOak wrote:

dont get me wrong im not condemning him for it nor denying his great work ethic or that he was an amazing bodybuilder.

i’m simply saying that his program obviously worked for him, which does not mean it will work for you, unless you are also on juice.

that is all.[/quote]

Please don’t say this again on any board if you don’t to get flamed.

[quote]IrishOak wrote:
just something to bear in mind brah:

yates was on roids LIKE ALL TOP BBERS

that is all.[/quote]

[quote]IrishOak wrote:

that is all.[/quote]

Its worked for me, and I’m not, nor ever have been “on roids”.

While you don’t need to be on PEDs, your training style must always suit your recovery ability (Re-read this sentence a few times). Yates’ diet, supplementation program (this includes but is not limited to steroids), and INDIVIDUAL GENETIC recovery ability were able to cope and thrive on this style of training for years before succumbing to injuries. he has admitted in the past that this worked for him, and that doesn’t necessarily mean it would work for everyone. There is so much individual variation that no one can ever say with absolute certainty that THIS, or THAT will always work for everyone.

S

[quote]IrishOak wrote:

that is all.[/quote]

Don’t mean to flame or anything, just informing for the sake of better understanding - a few things to note:

Yates was one of the very few bodybuilders “on roids” who used HIT style training, unlike most of his contemporaries who used very high volume training. It’s good to ask - why did he not do the same as the others? For some time, Lee Haney, who used high volume training and also had excellent genetics was the top competitor for nearly a decade until Dorian Yates came along. Dorian really pushed the envelope on size/conditioning and dominated the scene for 6 years.

The usage of steroids cannot be THE influencing factor in training style (BOTH camps use it), especially as many say it’s the other way around; that VOLUME training requires extreme ‘assistance’.

IMO, Dorian was very intelligent with his training and questioned everything he did (if it didn’t serve a purpose, he dropped it)…so it’s not like he did it “just because” (accidently) or just followed everyone around him who did things because it was the norm (or blasted the muscles with everything, just incase)

Dammit, Stu beat me to it :slight_smile: And was more to the point lol

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
While you don’t need to be on PEDs, your training style must always suit your recovery ability (Re-read this sentence a few times). Yates’ diet, supplementation program (this includes but is not limited to steroids), and INDIVIDUAL GENETIC recovery ability were able to cope and thrive on this style of training for years before succumbing to injuries. he has admitted in the past that this worked for him, and that doesn’t necessarily mean it would work for everyone. There is so much individual variation that no one can ever say with absolute certainty that THIS, or THAT will always work for everyone.

S[/quote]

I assume you have experimented with Yates’ style training at some time, Stu. How did it work for you personally?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]
Stu, did you ever train yates style in your earlier training years? if so how did you fair with it?

^^

lol

I actually did spend a considerable amount of time training in a much more low volume / high intensity manner than I do now. After prying myself away from the “advices” of Arnold’s Encylopedia, I realized that I didn’t need to do every single exercise possible, for a zillion sets, with every type of intensity technique and ‘shock’ method (a term from Flex magazine), training 7 days a week in order to put on a little muscle. In fact, training in that manner really did produce very “little” in the way of muscle for me. It was only when I backed off in terms of frequency and volume that I started seeing actual hypertrophy gains.

I’m not sure if I would have made better gains on a more volume-oriented approach if I had put any thought and effort into my actual diet, but back then (1992/1993 was when I first started in the weight room), there were very few places to really get information. The Weider mags were all filled with BS (although the pics and contest reports were still inspiring), there was no internet, and it would be a couple of years (when I would finally join a private gym off campus in my senior year) until I would find Muscle Media 2000 as well as being able to watch serious trainers do their thing (opposed to just college wannabe meat-heads and football players) and actually ask questions.

The crux of the volume vs intensity issue is always going to be one of recovery. If YOUR recovery can handld the stress you’re throwing at it, whether it’s a lot of volume, a lot of intensity, or a middle of the road approach, then you will make progress. This is the overlooked issue for most of the people who inquire about Yates’ approach. When he didn’t make the progress he wanted with one approach (after giving it an honest try!), he sought alternatives that might work for his unique physiology.

S

Part of the reason I am curious is that I’ve seen him train both pro bodybuilders and intermediates with the same approach he used himself in Blood & Guts. And also that outside of internet boards, I’ve never seen anyone train like that in the gym. Sure there are plenty of guys doing forced reps, but just one working set? Nope.

There were some Yates clips in Kingbeefs thread, and I’ve seen him train Mark Dugdale too. It’s purely an academic interest on my part, I don’t plan on trying it out.