Dorian Yates - Into the Shadow

An interview with the best

awesome, I’ve been waiting for this to come up

I wonder if bodybuilding is on the rise now considering Yates’ on the show is getting more feedback than a parliament member and Olympic athlete got

“I was the first European competitor to win Mr. Olympia”

“The 90s were the Golden Age of bodybuilding. [Oh hey, didn’t I win the 90s? What a coincidence].”

I respect the hell out of Dorian Yates for his training, his achievements, and his impact on bodybuilding, but shit that guy has an ego. I guess if you win Olympia six times, you can afford to have a big head.

Thanks for posting the interview, by the way. Great shit

Interesting video and certainly an interesting guy. Thanks for posting.

Very interesting interview. He sure has a well-developed ego but his speech makes up for it. I also liked how freely he talked about steroid use. No BS, just honesty: that’s what it takes to be a man.

Wow. Was not expecting him to talk about ayahuasca, DMT, and the collective consciousness. Thanks for posting.

The mutherfucking greatest of all time

Am I the only one who thinks he seems genuine and not so egotistical? I mean… if I was a 6x time Olympia champion I’d be a hell of a lot more arrogant than that…

Great interview, by the way! Thanks for posting it myself1992. It was cool to see him so chill about the issue of steroids and I thought it was great of him to be patient enough to explain what they are (to people who don’t seem that knowledgeable) in the first place.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks he seems genuine and not so egotistical? I mean… if I was a 6x time Olympia champion I’d be a hell of a lot more arrogant than that…

Great interview, by the way! Thanks for posting it myself1992. It was cool to see him so chill about the issue of steroids and I thought it was great of him to be patient enough to explain what they are (to people who don’t seem that knowledgeable) in the first place.[/quote]

Im with you. The easily offended will always find ways to put an arrogant spin on anything that the accomplished do/say.

If im not mistaken, everything he said about dominating during the golden age of bodybuilding is completely true, more like hes laying out facts than being an ego-maniac.

Nobody would fault Michael Jordan for saying he was the best offensive player of all time.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

Great interview, by the way! Thanks for posting it myself1992. It was cool to see him so chill about the issue of steroids and I thought it was great of him to be patient enough to explain what they are (to people who don’t seem that knowledgeable) in the first place.[/quote]

Im with you. The easily offended will always find ways to put an arrogant spin on anything that the accomplished do/say.

If im not mistaken, everything he said about dominating during the golden age of bodybuilding is completely true, more like hes laying out facts than being an ego-maniac.

Nobody would fault Michael Jordan for saying he was the best offensive player of all time. [/quote]

I’m with you guys.

Also, how many who criticize Yates’ ego have adoringly admired Arnold’s huge ego?

Well that was an interview and a half-definitely did not expect Dorian Yates to say please dont drink tapwater as the fluoride deposits will clog up your pineal gland thus preventing awareness of your higher selves and true purpose in life,excellent.
I dont think he seemed arrogant and egocentric.Quite the opposite actually as he has the C.V. to back up everything he said and laid it out manner of factly not in a Im better than thou type way.
Seems like the kind of guy you could enjoy a beer or two with

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
…snip…
Also, how many who criticize Yates’ ego have adoringly admired Arnold’s huge ego?
[/quote]

I’ve never criticized Yates’ ego, but I do adoringly admire Arnold’s ego… He is one charismatic man.

–Me

One thing I found really annoying about the whole interview was how it was set up.
Yates had to look left and right all the time. Why can’t those 2 interviewers be side by side (and if they’re only on monitors, why weren’t THEY side by side)?

I found this interview to be fascinating. I was totally not expecting the topics they discusses, but I appreciated Dorian’s blunt honesty. The seems to be pretty humble for being a 6x world champion. Yates just stepped up a rung on the idol ladder.

Really liked the interview. Just keeps it real and what makes it awesome.

Thank you for posting it. Dorian is a Legend!

The 1st U.S. show Yates did was the 1990 Night of the Champions in NYC. He took 2nd place to the late Mohammed Benaziza. I remember the publicity that show got back then in Flex magazine and you could tell this guy’s future was bright. I remember how he really stood out from the rest of the line-up.

And a year later Yates took the 1991 Night of the Champions title. Check out the physical improvements from 1990 to 1991! Very impressive!

[quote]Obisidian wrote:
“I was the first European competitor to win Mr. Olympia”

“The 90s were the Golden Age of bodybuilding. [Oh hey, didn’t I win the 90s? What a coincidence].”

I respect the hell out of Dorian Yates for his training, his achievements, and his impact on bodybuilding, but shit that guy has an ego. I guess if you win Olympia six times, you can afford to have a big head.[/quote]

You act like what he said wasn’t true. He was the first euro to win the olympia and his era was the golden age of competitive BB. There has never been an era with competition like that one.