Dorian Yates First Mass Routine

Dorian Yates first mass building program as according to the now out of print book Blood and Guts

Workout A

Chest - Bench Press, Incline Press (Barbell or Dumbbell)
Back - Chins, Bent Rows (Barbell or Dumbbell), Deadlifts
Shoulders - Press Behind the Neck, Side Lateral Raises

Workout B

Legs - Squats, Leg Press, Leg Curls, Standing Calf Raises,
Seated Calf Raises
Biceps - Barbell Curls, Preacher Curls
Triceps - Pressdowns, Extensions

Do 1 to 2 warm up sets followed by 2 work sets to failure
for 8 to 12 reps (reduce the weight by 10% on the second set if needed).

Split done every other day or 3 days a week

in general I think Dorian stuff seems to lack volume, but hey it certainly worked for him LOL.

Thats funny, I’ve never seen this but it’s exactly how I work out now, I call it the torso apendage split. It’s mainly as I get older I need more rest between heavy sets of squats, so I started doing curls, it grew from there. I’ll remember this when guys start making fun of my split, good enough for Dorion good enough for me. Thks

Awesome post.

Does anyone think it was Dorian’s high intensity training methods that caused his injuries though?

Someone like Dexter is doing pretty good longevity wise.

I think for sure that caused his injurys, his training was insane, way past failure is injury zone, to train with less intensity and more volume has proven over time to lead to less injurys. I’m sure some hit guy will hate this, but it seems simple to me

wasn’t it using absurdly high weight for underhanded barbell rows that fucked him in the end?

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I think for sure that caused his injurys, his training was insane, way past failure is injury zone, to train with less intensity and more volume has proven over time to lead to less injurys. I’m sure some hit guy will hate this, but it seems simple to me[/quote]

TO train that far past failure in one set, he must of had a training partner everytime he worked out.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
wasn’t it using absurdly high weight for underhanded barbell rows that fucked him in the end?[/quote]

Yea it was. People get Yates training mixed with the HIT stuff metzner did when he was going off the deep end. Yates RARELY took sets past failure he took all his work sets (either one or two depending on the point in his career) to failure though.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
wasn’t it using absurdly high weight for underhanded barbell rows that fucked him in the end?[/quote]

yep but - per his own words- he was on very low kalories intake before the injury so he thought that not enough nutrients caused the injury…on the other hand, Dorian form has Always been spot on (compared to -let’s say- Warren) so it’s thoughts seem logical.

This is from Mike Mentzer’s first Heavy Duty book also out of print.

‘’
The Routine

DAY 1
Pecs:

1. Dumbbell Flyes, Cable Cross or Pec Deck, supersetted with…
  2. Incline Presses.
    Delts:
  3. Laterals.
  4. Bent-over Dumbbell Laterals (or Pec Deck for rear delts).
    Triceps:
  5. Lying French Presses, Pressdowns or Triceps Machine, supersetted with…
  6. Dips.

DAY 2
Lats:

1. Pullovers, supersetted with…
  2. Close-grip, palms-up Pulldowns.
  3. Bent-over Barbell Rows.
    Traps:
  4. Shrugs.
    Erectors:
  5. Hyperextensions or Deadlifts.
    Biceps:
  6. Curls.

DAY 3
Qads:

1. Leg Extensions, supersetted with…
  2. Leg Presses or Squats (these should be alternated workout to workout).
    Hams:
  3. Leg Curls.
    Calves:
  4. Calf Raises.
    Abs:
  5. Sit-Ups.

Important Points
Perform one set of each of the listed exercises. Even if you are skeptical that one set is sufficient, it is still the logical place to launch your investigation to determine the most efficient, productive method possible.

There should be no rest between exercises listed as a superset, since even a three-second delay will result in the auxiliary muscles becoming weak links. Minimize the rest time between sets not listed as a superset. Rest just long enough so that you can go into the next set without being hampered by cardiorespiratory insufficiency.

Strive to progressively reduce workout time. Performing the same workout in less and less time increases the intensity and, thus, the productivity of your workouts. Do not, however, allow your workouts to degenerate into a race against the clock.

Warm-ups should be kept to a minimum. The principle of performing no more exercise than the precise amount required applies to warming up.

Perform all of the exercises in reasonably strict fashion. Initiate each movement deliberately, and proceed, likewise, in a smooth, controlled fashion through the positive range of motion, pause in the contracted position, and lower under control.

Select a weight for each exercise that allows you to perform 6-10 reps to positive failure. As your strength increases and you are able to perform 12 or more reps, increase the weight by 10-20%, or any amount that forces you back to the 6-10 rep range. Train progressively.

Forced and negative reps can be beneficial, but only when used on an occasional basis. When used with every set of every workout, they soon result in overtraining.

In the beginning, train every other day ? either Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. At the conclusion of each three-day cycle, take two days off from training entirely.

As you grow larger and stronger, the demands on your recovery ability become greater, and the routine will eventually result in overtraining. Evidence of this will be an abrupt halt in progress. If you experience two weeks of no progress, take a full week off from training. Upon resuming training, reduce the volume and the frequency of your workouts. On Day 1, eliminate the compound movement for triceps; on Day 2, eliminate the isolation exercise for lats; and, on Day 3, reduce the performance of the Leg Curl to every second or third leg workout. And instead of training every other day, train every third or fourth day.

Train for strength! Remember: If you want to get bigger, you have to get stronger. For many, strength increases precede size increases.

Keep a progress chart. Record the date of each workout, the amount of weight used for each exercise, and the number of reps performed. You should be getting stronger ? as evidenced by an increase in reps, weight or both ? on a very regular basis. As long as you are getting stronger, you’re on the right track. Even a one rep increase is significant.

Exercises can be changed periodically as long as you continue to adhere to the basic principles.

This routine is not a guarantee of a Mr. Olympia physique. That is something that no one and no routine can guarantee, since how much muscle can ultimately be developed is a matter dictated by genetics. Utilizing the training principles elucidated above, however, will help to ensure optimal progress and the actualization of an individual’s full physical potential.‘’

As you said, it was the first edition of Heavy Duty. Mentzer himself wrote that it needed an update.

So here we are :
The second edition is a totally different one :

DAY 1
-pec deck superser with
incline press

-machine pull over superset with
pull down

-deadlift

DAY 2
-leg extension superset with
squat

-leg curls

-standing calf work

DAY 3
-laterals

-rear laterals

-triceps pushdown superset with
dips

-biceps curls

DAY 4
leg press

-leg curls

-seating calf work

It is ONE set to concentric failure for each exercise.
And one workout every 4 day (!)

Your thought ?
Maybe with more volume (2 work sets to failure, or even more sets with 2 reps in the tank) and frequency (training 3x/week) it is definitly a good one, I love exercise choice.

Mat’

[quote]mat_angus wrote:
As you said, it was the first edition of Heavy Duty. Mentzer himself wrote that it needed an update.

So here we are :

DAY 1
-pec deck superser with
incline press

pull down

-deadlift

DAY 2
squat

-leg curls

-standing calf work

DAY 3
-laterals

-rear laterals

dips

-biceps curls

DAY 4
leg press

-leg curls

-seating calf work

Your thought ?
Maybe with more volume (2 work sets to failure, or even more sets with 2 reps in the tank) and frequency (training 3x/week) it is definitly a good one, I love exercise choice.

Mat’
[/quote]
On paper it doesn’t look like much, but when you add in the 3-4 ramp up sets to 1 failure set… it seems like enough volume to me. Also, If your hitting each of these workouts every 4 days, You could switch exercises around a bit to hit the muscle at different angles.

[quote]optheta wrote:
in general I think Dorian stuff seems to lack volume, but hey it certainly worked for him LOL.[/quote]
Well that was the whole thing with Dorian wasn’t it? At the time every major bodybuilder was doing these long, super high volume training programs, and suddenly he smokes the scene using basically extremely high intensity training.

[quote]mat_angus wrote:

So here we are :

DAY 1
-pec deck superser with
incline press

pull down

-deadlift

DAY 2
squat

-leg curls

-standing calf work

DAY 3
-laterals

-rear laterals

dips

-biceps curls

DAY 4
leg press

-leg curls

-seating calf work

Your thought ?

Mat’
[/quote]

I made incredible progress with this routine for the first six weeks( then plateaued bigtime). I think its a great to do for 6-8 weeks once a year.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I think for sure that caused his injurys, his training was insane, way past failure is injury zone, to train with less intensity and more volume has proven over time to lead to less injurys. I’m sure some hit guy will hate this, but it seems simple to me[/quote]

I don’t think this post is hate worthy considering Dorian has said over and over that his injuries were likely due to the fact that he never put the brakes on even when rationally speaking he knew he should have, especially during contest prep time, a time in which he was likely not going to add new muscle anyway.

Even in his offseason, when he intended to “back off” for a couple of weeks after every 6 to 8 weeks of pushing things, in reality he never backed off much.

I wouldn’t say it’s injuries that messed him up. He was 35 when he retired and everyone gets worn down at some point. From what we know, he was probably the most rigid, Spartan bodybuilder ever: counting every damn morsel of food, every rep and weight and workout and by his own account, never staying out past 10:30 in the evening in order to make his last, 11:00 meal, and never deviating much for over a decade! He said in his last two years of competing his passion started to wane and the whole thing just wasn’t as fun or interesting as it once was and it started to feel increasingly burdensome, something Nasser alluded to as well. Both of these guys really hit the ground running compared to some other guys that have been working their way up. When the competition is that fierce and the “industry” demands more and more of you, I can only imagine someone wearing down in their mid 30’s as opposed to their 40’s.

I’m not much into BBing, but Dorian is one of the few I’m inspired by, his work ethic and overcomming a rough life, and a less than perfect structure, at the end of the day, my training is based on Stuart McRoberts so kind of a hit guy, I’ve seen people do well on both sides of the fence, I feel the key is just sticking to and belief in what ever system you use, consistance and effort are the keys, and I think Dorian had lots of both.

Injuries…