T Nation

Dorian Yates, Adjusted Routine

Hi all,

I'm currently doing GVT, but worked out my routine for when I finish.

What are your thoughts on this plan?

Monday - Back

Pull Ups - 4 sets own body weight (as many as possible with good form, rest only 30 seconds between sets)
Dumbbell Pullovers: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 8-10 reps to failure)
Close Grip Pulldowns: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 8-10 reps to failure)
Deadlifts: 3 sets (first set of 10-12 reps; last two sets aim for 8-10 reps to failure)
Traps: 3 sets (first set of 10-12 reps; last two sets aim for 8-10 reps to failure)
Abs - Leg raisers or ab rope pulls * alternate

Tuesday - Chest and Shoulders

Decline Bench: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10 - 12 reps; last set aim for 7-8 reps to failure)
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets (as above)
Flat Bench Flyes (without going too wide): 3 sets (as above)
Shoulder shocker: 3 sets (8 reps each) *Side lateral, rear delt, shrug/push/press

Wed - Rest

Thursday - Arms

Dips: 3 sets max reps
Tricep Skull Crushers: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 8-10 reps to failure)
Tricep Push Down: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 8-10 reps to failure)
Preacher Curl: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 7-8 reps to failure)
Hammer Curl OR Dumbbell Concentration Curls: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 7-8 reps to failure)
Straight Bar Curl: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-12 reps; last set aim for 7-8 reps to failure)
Wrist curls: 3 super sets. low rest time

Friday - Legs

Barbell Squats: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-15 reps; last set aim for 10-12 reps to failure) *Slow negative
Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-15 reps; last set aim for 10-12 reps to failure)
Leg Extensions: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-15 reps; last set aim for 10-12 reps to failure)
Leg Curls: 3 sets (first 2 sets of 10-15 reps; last set aim for 10-12 reps to failure)
Calf Press: 5 sets of 10-15 reps. All sets to failure. Rest maximum of 20 seconds between sets.

Notes:
Rest 60/70 seconds between sets
Control the negative on all movements (coiled spring approach)
Stretch after each session
Perform for 6 weeks, then do two cycles of basic GVT (10 by 10), then repeat
Keep a training journal of weight and reps of each final set
Vary the order of exercises

are you doing partner-assisted reps?

what kind of deads are you doing?

most importantly... what will you be eating and how much?

Unfortunately I wont have a training partner (based in Korea, little Koreans don't like weight lifting).

Deadlifts - I will switch back to normal deadlifts, I love them (after alternating stiff leg and romanian on GVT)

I'm busy cutting - eating 2600 calories on training day (250 grams protein, high carb (sweet potato, oatmeal), low fat. And 2100 calories on rest days (220 grams protein, lower carb, high fat (olive oil, nuts etc). I used to eat higher protein, but had to cut back to drop the calories while keeping good macro ratio's. I haven't had a SINGLE cheat meal in over 4 months, and cut down nicely with no muscle loss.

Following a leangains style of eating, love it. So I can confidently say my diet is solid. Supplemented with multi vit, omega 3, vit c, magnesium& calcium, creatine. I will bump up the calories in January when my BF is in nicely in single digits.

If your cutting then you probably will not gain muscle, all your weight sessions should be aimed at preserving muscle, so keep it basic and don?t go to mad with drop sets super sets etc (if you were going to at any point)

I was advised to just do 3x a week when I cut. The extra day could be used for some light CV!?
If you feel you want to keep it at 4 days, have you thought about splitting your legs up?
Calf?s hamstrings and triceps
Calf?s quads bis or something like that?

Also you?re doing just as many sets on triceps as you are on chest, just an observation. I always like to do some sort of row when training back, if your doings deads then to save your lower back you might look to pop in some db rows or machine row? Drop pull over?s maybe, just personnel choice you might love them.
I would like to see more sets on legs, especially if you decided to split them up, legs press or front squats or db walking lunges maybe. Start with calf?s on legs

Your diet sounds good, just out of interest how many grams of carbs?
How much do you weigh?
My two cents

does Yates include conventional deads in his program? doing 10 or more reps of conventional deads to failure doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

are you going to bump cals up if you start losing strength?

10 deads to failure= bad form on last reps= high % of injuries??

Doggcrap -similar but better laid out

Thanks for the feedback

With regards to my diet, I posted it here:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/my_cuttingrecomp_diet_feedback

BUT, I am nearing the end of my cut. If I feel strength is dropping, I will bump up calories. I plan to finish my cut end of December (been cutting for a while now)

With regards to back day - I made a typo - when I do deadlifts to failure it is in the 4-6 rep range (not 10-12) ^^

And I've decided to ditch the pullovers in favor of seated wide bar rows.

Cheers

you are your own master but pullovers exhaust your latissimi (lat) and will pre-actived it before second compound excercise (lat pulldownz),biceps is very small muscle and will give up way before your back is toasted up.
seated wide bar rows isn't mainly a lat excercise but an upper back excercise (elbow wide out and not tight to torso when you pull)....

hope it helps.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I do use wide elbow position with wide bar seated rows, for uper back. Sometimes I find this hurts my lower back, but I will see how training goes

Yea, I wouldn't take high rep deads to failure.

agreed! i tried and it was very retarded

oh and FWIW, coming from john meadows, doing the iso movements first (or just a pre fatigue type movement first) before the compound movements has really helped my joints and feeling the target muscles work... i've hard to drop the weight on some exercises but i like it

I second that! I've only been doing it that way around for maybe 4 months, but I love it. I also don't mind dropping the heavy weight back a bit. It's actually a good feeling doing those compounds when your muscle are somewhat fatigued - let's you know you are training well