Dopest Lyricists

Surprised no one has mentioned things from the roots like Run DMC & Sugarhill Gang

Joell Ortiz kills it.

Came in here to post RA and Slug.

locksmith
prince ea
jay electronica
Ja Rule (yea, fuck yea)
Slaughterhouse
crooked I
Rugged Man

LOVE THAT RUN DMC SHOUT OUT!!!

I still play that crown royal from 01 like it just dropped. Rev Run could still kill dudes if he wanted.

When it comes to lyrics in hip-hop, nobody’s delivery or lyrical content can match that of the Ghostface Killa and Raekwon. End of thread.

[quote]artw wrote:
When it comes to lyrics in hip-hop, nobody’s delivery or lyrical content can match that of the Ghostface Killa and Raekwon. End of thread.[/quote]

You do realize that most of what Ghostface says is just rambling, incoherent nonsense that sometimes rhymes, right?

Elzhi
Blu
Brother Ali

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

You do realize that most of what Ghostface says is just rambling, incoherent nonsense that sometimes rhymes, right?[/quote]

x2

I’ve always liked the RZA’s lyrics best of the Wu even though that’s very arguable. I think I just liked his style. And I’m only comparing the shit he did before he did his solo albums.

I’m going to add Ras Kass to my list of favorite lyricists too.

Last Emperor! And maybe Pharoah Monch too.

Someone mentioned Ras Kass. Reminds me alot of Chino XL, dope debut albums then a steady fall off. Soul on Ice and Here to Save You All were both definitely absolutely classic hip-hop albums.

Chino XL & Ras Kass:

CunninLynguists:

Southern rap duo.

first verse is legendary…

this is one my favorite albums…haven’t heard anything like it…

Large Professor…completed underrated

OC…another forgotten MC from the golden age…and from Queens of course

I’m just here to brag that I smoked weed with Blu. Really talented dude.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
I’m just here to brag that I smoked weed with Blu. Really talented dude.[/quote]

Blu is alright, I loved that track he did with Dilla, Sun in My Face,

but, yea, all in all Blu seems chill, seen him on HHO and shit

in addition to everyone mentioned here, saigon is/was one of the more talented lyricists out there. Warning Shots 2 was a disappointment though.

atmosphere

:stuck_out_tongue:

virtuoso:

x2 JMT, especially the army of the pharos first album and immortaltechique/atomosphere both excellent