Dopamine & Serotonin

I’ve started taking 5HTP before bed and have noticed a significant increase in dreaming / remembering dreams.

What does this mean? Does it say anything about quality of sleep?

I started taking 5HTP because I realized that I never see the sun due to work and I read that lack of sunlight decreases serotonin and possibly a reason why I have insomnia. By the way, I take 3-5000 IU of Vitamin D3 /day.

I have now read that serotonin and dopamine(& testosterone) are inversely related. As serotonin increases, dopamine and testosterone decrease.

If this is the case, do you always want low serotonin levels? Or maybe low serotonin during the day and higher at night (since it converts to melatonin)?

5-htp is a precursor to serotonin (like tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine), so you are likely remembering dreams because of a deeper sleep, which is good.

no. the way this works is much like cortisol. Cortisol should be high in the morning, stable throughout the day, and then decrease as you get ready for sleep. You want serotonin to increase at night because this will help you fall asleep, and have a better quality of sleep.

But, IMO, while tyrosine (or N-acetyl-l-tyrosine, phenylalanine, etc) and 5-htp work as precursors, I consider them kind of ‘band-aids’ in that they don’t get to the root of the problem.

it’s good you identified the lack of sunlight and work schedule as problems (I will have a midnight shift in a week myself), but there are some other supplements that can help support the regulation of serotonin.

these are: fish oil (i.e. Flameout), magnesium & zinc (ZMA or Elitepro Minerals), Aniracetam, Bacopa (300 mg @ 50% bacosides), vitamin B6.

others that supposedly work but that I personally haven’t tried: SAM-e, and st. john’s wort.

but certainly, things like 5-htp & melatonin can help in the short-term.

1 Like

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
5-htp is a precursor to serotonin (like tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine), so you are likely remembering dreams because of a deeper sleep, which is good.

no. the way this works is much like cortisol. Cortisol should be high in the morning, stable throughout the day, and then decrease as you get ready for sleep. You want serotonin to increase at night because this will help you fall asleep, and have a better quality of sleep.

But, IMO, while tyrosine (or N-acetyl-l-tyrosine, phenylalanine, etc) and 5-htp work as precursors, I consider them kind of ‘band-aids’ in that they don’t get to the root of the problem.

it’s good you identified the lack of sunlight and work schedule as problems (I will have a midnight shift in a week myself), but there are some other supplements that can help support the regulation of serotonin.

these are: fish oil (i.e. Flameout), magnesium & zinc (ZMA or Elitepro Minerals), Aniracetam, Bacopa (300 mg @ 50% bacosides), vitamin B6.

others that supposedly work but that I personally haven’t tried: SAM-e, and st. john’s wort.

but certainly, things like 5-htp & melatonin can help in the short-term.[/quote]

I’d be careful with St John’s Wort.

Bring down cortisol post workout with Elite Pro plus an adaptogen like Rhodiola. In the evening, take phenibut (Z-12) and ZMA an hour before bed. Plus carbs at night of course.

[quote]Bryan Krahn wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

but certainly, things like 5-htp & melatonin can help in the short-term.[/quote]

I’d be careful with St John’s Wort.

Bring down cortisol post workout with Elite Pro plus an adaptogen like Rhodiola. In the evening, take phenibut (Z-12) and ZMA an hour before bed. Plus carbs at night of course. [/quote]

Not to hijack the thread but why is it when Im on a low carb or ketogenic diet my sleep is very deep and restful and I wake up after only 6 hrs well rested.
When I eat a normal diet or take carbs before bed I either have trouble falling asleep or I wake up after 3-4 hrs with my adrenaline rushing and takes me exactly 2 hours to fall back asleep every time.
I thought I remember Poliquin mentioning something about rebound hypoglycemia or something. Not sure if it applies
On a final note carbs during the day will knock me out like I got hit with a tranquilizer dart, especially after my workout carb up.

1 Like

As I understand it, dreams are indicative of REM sleep, which is good. Just curious, though, if we remember our dreams, it generally means we were awakened DURING the dream. Is that the case with you? Are you waking up with an alarm clock? Aside from that, I agree with other posters – get thee to some Z-12 and some ZMA.

What’s wrong with St. Johns Wort?

Why do you want to lower cortisol immediately after a workout? I have some Seriphos caps but never thought about taking them postworkout…

ZMA has helped tremendously.