T Nation

Doorway Bar ok for Chins & Pull-ups?

I KNOW there is better equipment for this but I’m just workingout at home, so are those doorway chinup bars (maybe by golds gym) good enough?

If you can do chinups on them without it breaking, then why wouldn’t it be ok?

Lol, are you implying that they may break?

I keep reading that pull-ups/chin-ups are to the upper body what squats are to the lower, so
if the those bars are ok (and won’t break) then I am considering it.

Make sure you install it correctly and it’s secure.

By the very nature of pull-ups, if it comes down, not only will you fall, but you’ll pull the bar down and hit yourself in the face.

Not that that ever happened to me.

I have one called the door gym. Its ok. Can’t really use a wide grip on it, but it’s sturdy and supports my weight. I’d rather have a real pull up bar

Check out one called ‘Powerbar’

It’s immense.

I put one in a few days ago. Works fine, but my door doesn’t close now. Brackets were too big.

But I can do pull ups now.

Hey,

I got one from pullupbar.com and it’s fine. I’ve had it now for about 6 months. I use it frequently, probably should more though. I’ve learnt the pullups/chinups are taxing my body quite a bit and since I’m on a program that considers chins/pullups as accessories, I took it a bit too literally. Anyway, the bar is nice, can be installed/removed in 2 seconds so you can still use the door. You need a solid door frame though, the pressure from the bar also leaves some marks on a white painted molding. Also, for this particualr bar, the foam on the handles started to rip off recently, no big deal for me though. I would prefer a regular, permanently mounted bar if I had a space for it. Door mount is nice and convenient for occasional work, but for hard core training either rack cage one or a permanent one would be better.

But hey, that’s the option I had and at least now I can do straight 10 pullups while 6 months ago I had to use rubber bands for assitance.

Thanks all, some of these are nice!

I installed one in a trailer once, pulled down half the wall the first time I used it.

No matter what, dont try to do pullups or chins just using the door frame. No matter how strong it looks, it really isn’t…

Well, I guess I should chime in on this one…being in the millwork industry.

As long as you screw the bar in using screws about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" you’ll be completely fine. They’ll be through both the jamb and deep into the 2x4 stud. As long as the bar itself is sturdy it will take a hell of a lot more than 300 lbs to rip those screws out.

[quote]sands wrote:
No matter what, dont try to do pullups or chins just using the door frame. No matter how strong it looks, it really isn’t…[/quote]

Haha, I ripped the outer door trim off of my office door at work by doing a chin-up just grabbing the outer trim piece. It made a heck of a loud CRACK as the two longer side pieces pealed off the frame, oops, at least I didn’t get fired or in trouble, just a minor lecture on respect of company property.

SUPER!

How many other products like the powerbar are worthy of recommendation?

i have one they are very good

You say you are working out at home. If your garage has a set of folding stairs to allow access to the attic, just place a bar across the rafters in the opening. Yeah, you have to go out to the garage to do pull/chin ups but the set up would probably be stronger than an interior door frame model.

I’ve been using this set up for years and it works great.

Fred

Thanks but no, no attic here…

I think that a standard doorway bar would be too short, the grip width is too narrow (imho).

But gimmicks like the powerbar are too pricey for me right now.(though I like the design)

Someone should have warned me what an ass I was marrying …

I bought a golds gym doorway pull-up bar, she lost her damn mind getting mad because of the brackets that needed to be installed into the door frame.

Guess it’s not even half my house (she is a dirty trash can full of poop).

Any other ideas ??

[quote]Steve8867 wrote:
Someone should have warned me what an ass I was marrying …

I bought a golds gym doorway pull-up bar, she lost her damn mind getting mad because of the brackets that needed to be installed into the door frame.

Guess it’s not even half my house (she is a dirty trash can full of poop).

Any other ideas ??
[/quote]

So Steve, tell us all how you REALLY feel about the Mrs.

HA! very funny (yo momma!).

I just bought the Universal Door Mount Chin up Bar (UD-6) it is SWEET!