Door To Hell..Darvaza,Turkmenistan

While drilling for gas in 1971, an underground cavern was found. To avoid poisonous gas discharge, it was decided to burn the gas. Locals have named the cavern The Door to Hell. It has been burning nonstop for 38 years…

I’ve always been fascinated by unexplained natural phenomena. Being from Texas I’m sure you’ve heard of the Marfa lights. That shit’s pretty wild. Does anyone know why the cavern still burns, and does it not rain out there?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve always been fascinated by unexplained natural phenomena. Being from Texas I’m sure you’ve heard of the Marfa lights. That shit’s pretty wild. Does anyone know why the cavern still burns, and does it not rain out there?[/quote]

The cavern is fueled by natural gases from underground…and that’s a lot of damn gas to have been burning this long. They claim that the cavern is too far out in the desert to send a foam plane to put it out.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve always been fascinated by unexplained natural phenomena. Being from Texas I’m sure you’ve heard of the Marfa lights. That shit’s pretty wild. Does anyone know why the cavern still burns, and does it not rain out there?

The cavern is fueled by natural gases from underground…and that’s a lot of damn gas to have been burning this long. They claim that the cavern is too far out in the desert to send a foam plane to put it out. [/quote]

Nothing has put it out? No rains or anything? That’s crazy. I don’t want to get all American Beauty on ya and tell you how beautiful it is, but the world and the little shit that goes on in it is amazing. Had a friend in college who went to the Carribean or Virgin Islands or something and went on this tourest dive. A pirate ship had sunk in the 1700’s and all of these coins and silverware and shit was rusted and been eaten away at by the salt water but this one spoon. This spoon had been there for over 300 years and was sitting on a rock looking like it had just been spit shined. The locals never jacked with it 'cause they thought it was bad luck and multiple scientists and the like had come through over the years and no one could explain it. Of course now it’s a major tourist attraction, but even still when I hear/see stuff like this it just blows my mind.

That’s awesome man, thanks for posting that.

I think my favorite “nature phenomena” is that crazy black hole thing out in the middle of the Caribbean somewhere. I’m sure I got the location wrong, but I saw it on the discovery one night and it’s just this sudden drop off, It just looks straight up like a black hole in the middle of a bunch of crystal clear water because it is so deep.

Some chick even went free diving down in there, it was pretty creepy.

LOL at one of the comments.

“finally a place where we can line up the homosexuals and push them in 1 by 1”

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

The cavern is fueled by natural gases from underground…and that’s a lot of damn gas to have been burning this long. They claim that the cavern is too far out in the desert to send a foam plane to put it out.

Nothing has put it out? No rains or anything? That’s crazy. I don’t want to get all American Beauty on ya and tell you how beautiful it is, but the world and the little shit that goes on in it is amazing. Had a friend in college who went to the Carribean or Virgin Islands or something and went on this tourest dive. A pirate ship had sunk in the 1700’s and all of these coins and silverware and shit was rusted and been eaten away at by the salt water but this one spoon. This spoon had been there for over 300 years and was sitting on a rock looking like it had just been spit shined. The locals never jacked with it 'cause they thought it was bad luck and multiple scientists and the like had come through over the years and no one could explain it. Of course now it’s a major tourist attraction, but even still when I hear/see stuff like this it just blows my mind.[/quote]

I’m the same way. Check my other thread out about Centralia,PA.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Nothing has put it out? No rains or anything? That’s crazy. I don’t want to get all American Beauty on ya and tell you how beautiful it is, but the world and the little shit that goes on in it is amazing. Had a friend in college who went to the Carribean or Virgin Islands or something and went on this tourest dive. A pirate ship had sunk in the 1700’s and all of these coins and silverware and shit was rusted and been eaten away at by the salt water but this one spoon. This spoon had been there for over 300 years and was sitting on a rock looking like it had just been spit shined. The locals never jacked with it 'cause they thought it was bad luck and multiple scientists and the like had come through over the years and no one could explain it. Of course now it’s a major tourist attraction, but even still when I hear/see stuff like this it just blows my mind.

I’m the same way. Check my other thread out about Centralia,PA.[/quote]

Already did, haha.

That’s pretty damn cool.

[quote]The Greek wrote:

“finally a place where we can line up the homosexuals and push them in 1 by 1” [/quote]

That’s just wrong…lol.

Reminds me a bit of Centralia, Pennsylvania, the little town on which the whole Silent Hill-franchise is based upon.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

I’m the same way. Check my other thread out about Centralia,PA.[/quote]

Likewise.

People don’t take the time to stop and check out all the cool shit that goes on on our planet.

I’m equally baffled how this has been able to burn for so long. Surely it’s a waste of good resources, too?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

I’m the same way. Check my other thread out about Centralia,PA.

Likewise.

People don’t take the time to stop and check out all the cool shit that goes on on our planet.

I’m equally baffled how this has been able to burn for so long. Surely it’s a waste of good resources, too?[/quote]

Reading up on this,I think the locals love the mystique of it and don’t want to put it out. Some have even gone to lengths to tell people that it was caused by a meteor. And yes,it is a waste of natural gas resource. Just as the anthracite coal burning under Centralia,PA.

I remember hearing that the producers of Silent Hill got inspiration from the door to hell.

As far as interesting natural phenomenon goes, check out the Blue Hole of Belize. Its a natural sinkhole that drops down about 300 feet.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
The Greek wrote:

“finally a placeÃ?¯Ã?»Ã?¿ where we can line up the homosexuals and push them in 1 by 1”

That’s just wrong…lol.[/quote]

LOL!

Chances are its an Gears of War emergence hole. Other awesome comment.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Likewise.

I’m equally baffled how this has been able to burn for so long. Surely it’s a waste of good resources, too?[/quote]

Very cool…err, Hot.

I have to side with the town folk, let it burn. The fire is probably the only reason it is still burning. If the underground structure is a hard rock cavern then there is probably not a whole lot of formation pressure being exerted on the gas. Thus the fire creates a self sustaining draft pulling the gas to it and burning slowly putting on this beautiful display.

As far as being a waist of resources, that depends on what kind of gas is burning. Is it biogenic gas or thermogenic gas? Biogenic gas is produced by bacterial decomposition and is pretty much nothing but methane (C1, 1 carbon, 4 hydrogen). Anything that dies will start producing methane in about 30 minutes. Its not what we want when trying to drill a producible oil or gas well. What we want are thermogenic gases, gas developed over millions of years under high pressures and temperatures that form long chain hydrocarbons (C5+).

Oil/gas production is based on using formation pressure to push hydrocarbons up a metal straw filled with a liquid medium. I don’t know of anyone in the business of sucking gasses out of a cave.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
RSGZ wrote:

Likewise.

I’m equally baffled how this has been able to burn for so long. Surely it’s a waste of good resources, too?

Very cool…err, Hot.

I have to side with the town folk, let it burn. The fire is probably the only reason it is still burning. If the underground structure is a hard rock cavern then there is probably not a whole lot of formation pressure being exerted on the gas. Thus the fire creates a self sustaining draft pulling the gas to it and burning slowly putting on this beautiful display.

As far as being a waist of resources, that depends on what kind of gas is burning. Is it biogenic gas or thermogenic gas? Biogenic gas is produced by bacterial decomposition and is pretty much nothing but methane (C1, 1 carbon, 4 hydrogen). Anything that dies will start producing methane in about 30 minutes. Its not what we want when trying to drill a producible oil or gas well. What we want are thermogenic gases, gas developed over millions of years under high pressures and temperatures that form long chain hydrocarbons (C5+).

Oil/gas production is based on using formation pressure to push hydrocarbons up a metal straw filled with a liquid medium. I don’t know of anyone in the business of sucking gasses out of a cave. [/quote]

That’s a good question. From reading on this,all I know is that a rig was set up for drilling for natural gas…the ground collapsed around it…swallowing the whole rig…which discovered the cavern. They thought they could “burn” the gas in order to actually get into the cavern…but,yeah…it’s still burning…lol.

Here’s another vid from someone crazy enough to get close to the edge:

Who lit it on fire. Did someone just throw in a zippo or match?

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Here’s another vid from someone crazy enough to get close to the edge:

[/quote]

Wow, that really is awesome.