T Nation

Door Frame Pull-up Bar

Anyone have any experience with the ones that don’t permanently mount, use leverage weight to hold on the frame? Did a Google search and found several models, reviews and prices seemed okay. They claim they’ll hold up to 300, would be fine for me for a while, also good for my son to use.

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the ones that don’t permanently mount, use leverage weight to hold on the frame? Did a Google search and found several models, reviews and prices seemed okay. They claim they’ll hold up to 300, would be fine for me for a while, also good for my son to use. [/quote]

Nope… But it sure sounds like a broken leg waiting to happen.

You mean like these?

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/UKFitnessSuppliesLtd/POWERBAR?gclid=COrfpdDoiJYCFRSO1QodDzBRFA

I’ve had one for a while now. I was a bit suspicious to begin with, but it seems to work incredibly well. Hasn’t damaged my doorway in any way what-so-ever.

yes, something like that. Read some reviews on Amazon that all sounded favorable, but was still suspect.

For the house and for the kids to use, might be a good thing.

I saw one of those advertised on TV. My only concern (other than the potential door damage) is that you have no real height off the floor. Maybe the doorways in my house are low, but it seems like I wouldn’t be that high up when I’m doing pullups. Even with my knees bent I would only be a few inches off the floor at the lowest point.

Mine worked great. Had no problem doing pullups, front levers etc. Just have to make sure the wall around the door frame is sturdy enough.

I have one. I’ve had it for years! Picked it up at Champs Sports for $30. Has a variety of grips on it. Works great!

Even my 240lb friend was able to use it. It will hold up to 300lbs provided your door frame is strong enough!!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
I have one. I’ve had it for years! Picked it up at Champs Sports for $30. Has a variety of grips on it. Works great!

Even my 240lb friend was able to use it. It will hold up to 300lbs provided your door frame is strong enough!!

[/quote]

I have one that works great as well and as mentioned, check the stability of the door frame first.

I just got a door frame pull up bar, today actually. I whipped out a few reps and so far so good. I got the one from Everlast and bought it on Amazon. I arrived today and I just had to assemble the pieces and it seems to hold well.

I have one of the kind that doesn’t hurt my doors all. I got it at Dick’s and it held up for years. I’ve had my 190lbs plus 105lbs for chin-ups and never had a problem. It doesn’t fit in every doorway though, so you may want to measure before you buy one.

I have a question on durability here, if I were to wear 80 pounds worth of a weighted vest using kind of a loose form (not quite a full kip) at 170-175 pounds or so, do you guys think it would all hold together if used with a steel door frame?

The question was mainly geared towards whether the bar would hold up with the increased force on the bar from the loose form.

If you do anything like kipping or loose, fast reps or explosive reps, the doorway chin-up bar will come loose and most likely fall off the door jam.

I’d recommend not doing that. Save the explosive stuff or kipping for a stationary bar.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
If you do anything like kipping or loose, fast reps or explosive reps, the doorway chin-up bar will come loose and most likely fall off the door jam.

I’d recommend not doing that. Save the explosive stuff or kipping for a stationary bar.[/quote]

Cool, thanks for that. Maybe I will just have to get one anyway and tighten up my form.

I made my own pull-up bar in the garage. Couple of eye bolts in the rafters, chains, and a lat pull-down bar. Interchangeable for any pull-down type attachment. Rated to hold whatever the weakest link is.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I made my own pull-up bar in the garage. Couple of eye bolts in the rafters, chains, and a lat pull-down bar. Interchangeable for any pull-down type attachment. Rated to hold whatever the weakest link is.[/quote]

That was my back routine when I was in high school. I would do a wide-grip, reverse grip, and a supinnated grip where I would lift myself between two rafters.

appreciate all the info.

I put up a bar in my carport over the weekend, between the rafters. $3 piece of pipe from the hardware store, two holes drilled through the rafters. The problem is the rafters are about 10 ft in the air, meaning to grab the bar I have to stand on a ladder. Doesn’t lend itself to jumping movements.

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
appreciate all the info.

I put up a bar in my carport over the weekend, between the rafters. $3 piece of pipe from the hardware store, two holes drilled through the rafters. The problem is the rafters are about 10 ft in the air, meaning to grab the bar I have to stand on a ladder. Doesn’t lend itself to jumping movements.

[/quote]

I’ll take a pic of my setup - might give you an idea. Plus it seems better :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope this helps. Total cost was around $15 - not including the bar.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I made my own pull-up bar in the garage. Couple of eye bolts in the rafters, chains, and a lat pull-down bar. Interchangeable for any pull-down type attachment. Rated to hold whatever the weakest link is.[/quote]

Love this part.

and my ceiling is about 10 ft as well