T Nation

Doomsday Preppers

I’ve been watching a show on National Geographic about people in the US that store food and guns and build shelters for what they think is the coming end of the world.
They may think it will be an economic collapse, or environmental or tsunami etc.

Whether these people are slightly mental (I think they are in the sense of being paranoid) the show feeds their paranoia by rating these people at the end. They take people that are already overly paranoid and tell them where they have not prepared enough, and what they need to do and give them an estimate on how long they would survive (in months) an apocalypse.

Orion should go on there. He’s convinced that something along those lines is going to happen, and soon. Except that he doesn’t know how to field dress a wound, safely remove a bullet from a wound, set a broken limb in the wild, identify poisonous plants from edible ones and I don’t even think he’s really all that capable of getting along with others, a definite necessity when forced to live off the land, since there will be safety in numbers and loners like him will be the first to have everything taken from them by those who are stronger.

Yeah, I’ve been keeping notes and when Y2K comes or 2012 I’m finding these people and taking their stuff.

Like the fat lady who said I’ll be the only one with an extra 100lbs to lose"

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Orion should go on there. He’s convinced that something along those lines is going to happen, and soon. Except that he doesn’t know how to field dress a wound, safely remove a bullet from a wound, set a broken limb in the wild, identify poisonous plants from edible ones and I don’t even think he’s really all that capable of getting along with others, a definite necessity when forced to live off the land, since there will be safety in numbers and loners like him will be the first to have everything taken from them by those who are stronger.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he’s preparing for some female zombie apocalypse that will destroy humanity, and it might be in its early infancy now.

You really can’t trust a bitch, you know, in case the demon inside her springs out of no where and takes you to that place where people don’t want to go.

I think the people on this show are not worried about an apocalypse…they pray for it.

They likely see it as the great leveller…we’ll all go back to the strength of your home and the amount of food an ammo being the diding factor in how high you are in life instead of celebrities and other useless fluff. Romantic, to be sure, but also not likely to ever happen.

There was one guy that didn’t really have the money to spend on all his prepping and his wife didn’t like the way he was acting and his kids even knew there was somethign wrong with how he was acting…but he thought it was a good idea. This kind of guy would likely snap if a real apocalypse actually came.

4 more posts to 10,000 Nards.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
4 more posts to 10,000 Nards.

[/quote]
Where did you learn to maths, New Zealand?

Aw.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Orion should go on there. He’s convinced that something along those lines is going to happen, and soon. Except that he doesn’t know how to field dress a wound, safely remove a bullet from a wound, set a broken limb in the wild, identify poisonous plants from edible ones and I don’t even think he’s really all that capable of getting along with others, a definite necessity when forced to live off the land, since there will be safety in numbers and loners like him will be the first to have everything taken from them by those who are stronger.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he’s preparing for some female zombie apocalypse that will destroy humanity, and it might be in its early infancy now.

You really can’t trust a bitch, you know, in case the demon inside her springs out of no where and takes you to that place where people don’t want to go.[/quote]

At the very least I am prepared for THAT.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
4 more posts to 10,000 Nards.

[/quote]
Where did you learn to maths, New Zealand?

Aw.[/quote]

Oh shit I conveniently left off 100…

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
4 more posts to 10,000 Nards.

[/quote]
Where did you learn to maths, New Zealand?

Aw.[/quote]

Speaking of post totals, considering you haven’t posted regularly for quite some time… shit you put up a lot of posts in a very small timeframe!

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
4 more posts to 10,000 Nards.

[/quote]
Where did you learn to maths, New Zealand?

Aw.[/quote]

Oh shit I conveniently left off 100…[/quote]

Hey I didn’t even notice at all. Thanks for reminding me…I’ll try to get up there by the end of the month.

There aren’t many of us here in the 10,000+ club.

I think there should be a little Skylounge for the 10,000+ members. Well, ones that are not level 0 I guess. That would be understandable.

Regarding this whole prepper thing.

I think people seriously underestimate how rich we, as a society, really are.

A complete breakdown is highly unlikely.

That this whole clusterfuck is going to hit a wall eventually is true, but it will be old people who will feel it most and there is not one recorded geriatric revolution in all of mankinds history.

Best they can do is vote, and they do, but voting means shit when there is simply nothing there to redestribute.

Same with women, they can vote and that is all they can do.

So, the average guy can get by on next to nothing, you will probably do allright.

If you want to “prep” have some money on the side, have a passport and be prepared to move on to greener pastures, why take a stand with the man when you can live like a king in, I dunno, Thailand, for next to nothing.

[quote]orion wrote:
If you want to “prep” have some money on the side, have a passport and be prepared to move on to greener pastures, why take a stand with the man when you can live like a king in, I dunno, Thailand, for next to nothing.
[/quote]
Or… Or you could start a Mad Max biker gang. Just sayin.

Me and my buddies are prepping by lifting so much. That way in the total collapse of society, we’ll be way bigger and stronger than most. Then it’s smooth sailin from there. Just shave your hair into a mohawk and strong-arm your way around taking people’s food, guns, fuel, and other supplies and of course capturing the able bodied members of their little community to sell as slaves or use as concubines. You guys are more than welcome to join. And if any of you know a tattoo guy, he can join too that would be great. We’ll need some scary tattoos as well. Also if you think maybe you have the skills to make some sort of “blade boomerang” that would be fantastic.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Or… Or you could start a Mad Max biker gang. Just sayin.

[/quote]

I’m in. Where we meeting when the crap hits the fan? I will bring some stuff and my bike. I will try to find a gasoline tanker truck on the way there.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I think the people on this show are not worried about an apocalypse…they pray for it.

They likely see it as the great leveller…we’ll all go back to the strength of your home and the amount of food an ammo being the diding factor in how high you are in life instead of celebrities and other useless fluff. Romantic, to be sure, but also not likely to ever happen.
[/quote]

I think this statement really sums up the fascination with this show.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
If you want to “prep” have some money on the side, have a passport and be prepared to move on to greener pastures, why take a stand with the man when you can live like a king in, I dunno, Thailand, for next to nothing.
[/quote]
Or… Or you could start a Mad Max biker gang. Just sayin.

Me and my buddies are prepping by lifting so much. That way in the total collapse of society, we’ll be way bigger and stronger than most. Then it’s smooth sailin from there. Just shave your hair into a mohawk and strong-arm your way around taking people’s food, guns, fuel, and other supplies and of course capturing the able bodied members of their little community to sell as slaves or use as concubines. You guys are more than welcome to join. And if any of you know a tattoo guy, he can join too that would be great. We’ll need some scary tattoos as well. Also if you think maybe you have the skills to make some sort of “blade boomerang” that would be fantastic.[/quote]

I want in. I am willing to go full crazy neck and face tattoo for the cause. People will hand over their food out of fear. No force necessary.

[quote]anothrjrzmike wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I think the people on this show are not worried about an apocalypse…they pray for it.

They likely see it as the great leveller…we’ll all go back to the strength of your home and the amount of food an ammo being the diding factor in how high you are in life instead of celebrities and other useless fluff. Romantic, to be sure, but also not likely to ever happen.
[/quote]

I think this statement really sums up the fascination with this show.

[/quote]

That’s right. I actually looked for some fiction afterwards like this. But not zombie stuff; I’m sick of that everywhere.

I clicked on this thread thinking it was called “Doomsday Peppers”. I was expecting some really f#@kin hot peppers.

I am disappoint.