Don't Underestimate the Little Guy

What’s up T-Nation. I wanted to share a story with you all that happened over this past weekend that made me feel good and perhaps a few of you guys too. This Saturday the gym was pretty empty as usual (all the guidos go partying on the weekend). It was pretty much just my buddy and I doing some deadlifts. Well there we are doing our thing and this huge guy, I’d say about 275-290lbs. @ 6 foot (I’d say 10-15% BF), and his less large but equally as tan as a carrot buddy are doing BB Curls right next to us. No biggie, that’s a normal thing. Well my buddy “Ray” who is about all of 170lbs. throws 500lbs on the bar and pulls it easily (I pull it too, but just barely and I outweigh him by a good 25lbs!). This huge guy looks at the bar and asks if he can give it a go. We say sure, and he procedes to put straps on. Ok, we NEVER use straps but whatever. He ends up missing it anyway (didn’t even get it off the ground). My buddy and I look at each other, and then we hear a disparaging remark coming under this guy’s breath. Now I let it go but my boy “Ray” is a bit of a hot head (can’t blame him, he grew up in Newark) and procedes to grill this guy. “Just cause you got weak fucking girl hands don’t blame us!” comes out of his mouth. The big dude rises up and it looks like all hell is gonna break loose. Well I manage to calm them both down and we decided to settle the fued over a tap out fight on the mats in the track (It’s an indoor track). The big dude agrees ,confident in his ability to make my buddy into a pretzel. Well it started off good for the big dude, it looked like he was gonna make Ray eat his words. Then 20 seconds into the fight, his ATP-CP system failed him miserably and another 20 seconds later “Ray” put this guy’s arm into one of the nastiest looking key locks I have ever seen. You should have seen the look on the big dudes buddy’s face, I thought he saw a ghost or something, his orange face turned white. The big dude let out a yelp like a stuck pig and “Ray” let him go. That was that. His buddy and him slunk out the gym door. I haven’t seen him around the gym the last two days. And he is ALWAYS in there when I go. One more thing that I forgot to mention, “Ray” has won a state title in wrestling, practices gymnastics, and wrestled for the Marine Corps. His entirely training consists of Kettlebells, gymnastics, and sled pulling. The ONLY weight exercises he does are Deads and Squats (and even that is rarely). Don’t underestimate the little guy.

Nice Story.

But please, no more “big guys vs small guys” threads.

cool story. I liked it anyway, don’t listen to that other guy.

Wow. You guys really showed him. First you beat him in a deadlift, and then in wrestling. You must be really cool and have many girlfriends!

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
social violence[/quote]

shut the fuck up.

Yeah, but neither of those guys has functional strength!

• POC

Cool story, just use some paragraphs.

Behavior modification.

settle it over a tap-out fight? what the fuck is that? did you meet after study hall behind the gym? gay.

besides, i think it’s made up.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
settle it over a tap-out fight? what the fuck is that? did you meet after study hall behind the gym? gay.

besides, i think it’s made up.[/quote]

if he had said settle this over a combatives bout would it have been less gay for you?
basically were talking marine corp combatives (which if are anything like army combatives, gracie jui jitsu) versus big and ignorant. come on, thats just funny!

besides, i think it’s made up.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought that was more civil than taking a quarter plate and breaking the fucker’s jaw. Did I mention that the gym also has a martial arts dojo? MMA guys train there all the time. Ground fighting and grappling are a regular occurance. I know it’s probably not the spandex-wearing, tanning bed having, plate loaded machine infested globo-gym conglomerate that your used to working out at, but I enjoy going there.

The big dude must use splits and not full-body workouts…

Wait for it…

Wait for it…

AHHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

You seem to really like “Ray”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

A clear case of short man syndrome. “See we where like pressing 1000lbs and this guy came over and started trouble so my buddy did a hadoken to him and a scorpion fatality”. I blame nintendo, Jean Claude Van Damn, and every movie where the big guy get’s beaten up. I call BS on this story, and also what’s the point? We aren’t in gladiator days, ever hear the expression words will never hurt you? Moron

hahaha! Semper Fi.

Wow, how very responsible of you guys to have a fight, no wait… tapout match???

What the dammit is that?

You’re sure there was no other way around this? Oh well, boys will be boys. Fuck I suppose I’d do it… then again I am no role model.

-chris

Great story. The moral is, " don’t be a dick." You never know who can kick your ass.

So the settled their dispute on the mat. Big deal. Maybe this will teach people to keep their opinions to theirselves unless asked for them.

[quote]Wiggum88 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Yeah, I thought that was more civil than taking a quarter plate and breaking the fucker’s jaw. Did I mention that the gym also has a martial arts dojo? MMA guys train there all the time. Ground fighting and grappling are a regular occurance. I know it’s probably not the spandex-wearing, tanning bed having, plate loaded machine infested globo-gym conglomerate that your used to working out at, but I enjoy going there.

[/quote]

Oh, yeah. That’s me. You’d make it 2 mintues in a workout with me. Count on that.

Wiggum88 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Oh, yeah. That’s me. You’d make it 2 mintues in a workout with me. Count on that.[/quote]

Unless you’ve been to SERE’s school like I have, I highly doubt it.