Don't Make Me Take Androgel

I’m a 20 year old with low T. I’m awaiting the results from my second, most recent blood test. My previous test also showed low t but my doctor wanted to test for additional things. She mentioned Androgel and I have a feeling that she is going to prescribe it. What can I do to have her give me something else? Or, do I want androgel?

Hey im 21 and currently a HRT patient. My doctor prescribed me androgel and personally I believe its a pretty shitty product if your a gym junkie. I go to the gym often and usually sweat to the point where it looks like i just took a shower. A lot of the gel rubs off during the gym and i usually feel like shit a couple hours later. I tried to explain to the doctor that I believed that the gel was coming off and he laughed at me. Hopefully your doctor will be more understandable. Explain to her that this might not be the best option since the gel will most likely come off when you go to the gym and especially when you take a shower afterwards. (on the instructions it recommends not to engage in swimming or any similar activities 5 hours after application)

I found the gel typically works best for me 2-3 hours after applying, but that can vary from person to person. It takes about month to start noticing any strength or muscular differences, but only a week or so for sexual improvement.

Another reason for not being prescribed androgel is the cost. For a month supply of androgel is roughly $310. My insurance covers a majority of it but I have to pay for it upfront which can be a hassle. My doctor was understandable for that reason, and suggested I do one injection every three weeks. But what I been reading is that the worse way to go, and its inconvenient since you have to go to the doctors often.

I suggested for weekly injections that I would administer myself, and he replied “hahaha no way you kidding me! Theres no way im giving you a bottle of testosterone and needles!”

Good luck, and let me know how things go.

*also read Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
I’m a 20 year old with low T. I’m awaiting the results from my second, most recent blood test. My previous test also showed low t but my doctor wanted to test for additional things. She mentioned Androgel and I have a feeling that she is going to prescribe it. What can I do to have her give me something else? Or, do I want androgel?[/quote]

if you have low T,why would you not want a product that will raise that level?

really cant be picky at this point now can you

Honestly, if you cant talk your doc into prescribing test in any way other than androgel you can most likely just find a new doc. you can usually find one thats a little more open minded than the others.

BMC

[quote]Baldy322 wrote:
Hey im 21 and currently a HRT patient. My doctor prescribed me androgel and personally I believe its a pretty shitty product if your a gym junkie. I go to the gym often and usually sweat to the point where it looks like i just took a shower. A lot of the gel rubs off during the gym and i usually feel like shit a couple hours later. I tried to explain to the doctor that I believed that the gel was coming off and he laughed at me. Hopefully your doctor will be more understandable. Explain to her that this might not be the best option since the gel will most likely come off when you go to the gym and especially when you take a shower afterwards. (on the instructions it recommends not to engage in swimming or any similar activities 5 hours after application)

I found the gel typically works best for me 2-3 hours after applying, but that can vary from person to person. It takes about month to start noticing any strength or muscular differences, but only a week or so for sexual improvement.

Another reason for not being prescribed androgel is the cost. For a month supply of androgel is roughly $310. My insurance covers a majority of it but I have to pay for it upfront which can be a hassle. My doctor was understandable for that reason, and suggested I do one injection every three weeks. But what I been reading is that the worse way to go, and its inconvenient since you have to go to the doctors often.

I suggested for weekly injections that I would administer myself, and he replied “hahaha no way you kidding me! Theres no way im giving you a bottle of testosterone and needles!”

Good luck, and let me know how things go.

*also read Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

Have you had your blood tested and seen an improvement from Androgel?

I had my blood tested not too long ago, but for some reason the sample was “tainted”. So i have to go back and redo the blood work. But I have seen MAJOR improvements physically. For example, my deadlift went from 385x1 lbs to 455x1 lbs. I could never bench more than 225, and now i can rep 225 x 12. My squat went from 275 x 1 to 315 x 8. Androgel makes you wayyyy more motivated because you do not feel lethargic. I do not feel like i need 12 hours of sleep anymore, I feel fully rested with 8 hours. I wake up with morning wood now and sex drive increased. It changed the quality of my life for the better.

Here are some pointers if you do go on the gel.

Say you workout at 1:00 PM, i find it best to apply the recommended dosage gel around 9:00 AM. After my workout and my shower I usually reapply one pump to make sure I do not crash, since most of the gel comes off during your training and your shower. Give it about 2 months before you think its not doing anything. You will NOT feel anything from the first few applications, it takes awhile for it to build up in your body.

What is the recommended dosage of Androgel ?

I can only hope by the time I need TRT, I can find a doctor with some education on the matter.

Good luck with everything JonBlood.

[quote]Baldy322 wrote:
I had my blood tested not too long ago, but for some reason the sample was “tainted”. So i have to go back and redo the blood work. But I have seen MAJOR improvements physically. For example, my deadlift went from 385x1 lbs to 455x1 lbs. I could never bench more than 225, and now i can rep 225 x 12. My squat went from 275 x 1 to 315 x 8. Androgel makes you wayyyy more motivated because you do not feel lethargic. I do not feel like i need 12 hours of sleep anymore, I feel fully rested with 8 hours. I wake up with morning wood now and sex drive increased. It changed the quality of my life for the better.

Here are some pointers if you do go on the gel.

Say you workout at 1:00 PM, i find it best to apply the recommended dosage gel around 9:00 AM. After my workout and my shower I usually reapply one pump to make sure I do not crash, since most of the gel comes off during your training and your shower. Give it about 2 months before you think its not doing anything. You will NOT feel anything from the first few applications, it takes awhile for it to build up in your body.

[/quote]

Wow, those are some huge improvements. How long ago did you start?

It depends how low your levels are. It is measured by pumps (unless you get the packaged gel), it goes from 2, 4, or 6 pumps. I currently do four pumps.

I believe I started at the end of April or May. Of course isn’t just the androgel that got me the results, also training 2 hours a day 5 days a week. But that wouldnt have been possible if I didnt go on TRT.