Don't Know How to Start

Hi guys

This my first time here what i can do for lost fat and gain muscle someone can help me i just start lifting but i dont no how i can start

I’d recommend training with weights and improving your diet. Take that with a grain of salt, however, as I am definitely biased towards weight training. Less so towards improving diet, which is really not much fun at all.

Lots of articles and threads on this site to help you get started.

[quote]boricua76 wrote:
This my first time here what i can do for lost fat and gain muscle someone can help me i just start lifting but i dont no how i can start [/quote]
Lift 3-5 days a week and do some kind of cardio 2-4 days a week. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with quality protein, healthy fats, and some good carbs in each. Have a shake with fast protein and simple carbs when you lift.

Those would be some very, very general guidelines. Set up some specific goals using this article:

And use the Search box (top right of the page) to find more detailed info, programs, etc.

And get the hell our of Planet Fitness (if that is you in the avatar)

[quote]anhlong1122 wrote:
And get the hell our of Planet Fitness (if that is you in the avatar)[/quote]
I’ve had some very solid workouts at a Planet Fitness that had four Smith machines, no rack and no barbells, dumbbells up to just 60 pounds, a good cable station, and a ton of machines (including a very awesome seated dip). I’ve seen some Planet Fitnesses better equipped than that. For the most part, a gym is a gym, and you’ll get out what you put in.

For sure, the atmosphere isn’t like Bev’s Powerhouse where IFBB pros train and the color scheme is Barney the Dinosaur-esque, but just because you have a PF membership doesn’t mean you have to train like a knucklehead.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]anhlong1122 wrote:
And get the hell our of Planet Fitness (if that is you in the avatar)[/quote]
I’ve had some very solid workouts at a Planet Fitness that had four Smith machines, no rack and no barbells, dumbbells up to just 60 pounds, a good cable station, and a ton of machines (including a very awesome seated dip). I’ve seen some Planet Fitnesses better equipped than that. For the most part, a gym is a gym, and you’ll get out what you put in.

For sure, the atmosphere isn’t like Bev’s Powerhouse where IFBB pros train and the color scheme is Barney the Dinosaur-esque, but just because you have a PF membership doesn’t mean you have to train like a knucklehead.[/quote]

I think you could get a good back/chest workout in at a planet fitness. Machines for those bodyparts are fairly effective. I wouldn’t want to do a leg workout there though.

They have a leg press (though, it can only get 12-14 plates on it) and BBSqs w/ 70 dbs- maybe more w/ a lowered cable machine- but I was at a loss for a DL sub: maybe between the legs on the smith.

It was also the coldest gym I’ve ever been to.

Yeah, it was a lot of lunge variations and single-leg stuff, rack DB squats (weights on front delts like a hammer curl, elbows up, kinda front squat-ish). Wasn’t lucky enough to have a plate-loaded leg press, just a cable-stacked one. Did have a pretty good standing leg curl though. Also used a lot of just-under-knee-height rack pulls in the Smith.

Jefferson squats in the Smith (like 1 Man said) could’ve worked too, I just never really like that exercise in general. Always felt like the awkward ROM outweighed the benefit.

Idk, personally I think environment (ie, the crowd) is just as important than the equipment available. Working out (or doing anything really) with like minded, motivated and focused people can only help you. Yes, there is a PF near where I live and it is dirt cheap, but I would rather pay the $35 a month to have access to strongman equipment and a good crowd of highly experienced folks.

It is worth the investment. With that said, there are some gyms where they charge a lot, have nice equipment, but the crowd sucks. Yeah, maybe you can get a good workout, but if you’re serious you wont stick around for the long term.

To start, follow the stronglift 5x5 protocol but don’t pay for the forum. It is a scam.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Idk, personally I think environment (ie, the crowd) is just as important than the equipment available. Working out (or doing anything really) with like minded, motivated and focused people can only help you. Yes, there is a PF near where I live and it is dirt cheap, but I would rather pay the $35 a month to have access to strongman equipment and a good crowd of highly experienced folks.

It is worth the investment. With that said, there are some gyms where they charge a lot, have nice equipment, but the crowd sucks. Yeah, maybe you can get a good workout, but if you’re serious you wont stick around for the long term.

To start, follow the stronglift 5x5 protocol but don’t pay for the forum. It is a scam. [/quote]

Eh. I’ve pretty much always lifted in generic commercial gyms. I’ve only left gyms because they’ve specifically banned certain things (like deadlifts). It’s happened twice to me now. I don’t give 2 shits about atmosphere anymore though. That’s a luxury. A barbell is a necessity. (not for every workout, but in the long-run absolutely).