T Nation

'Don't Flare Your Elbows Out'


#1

Hello guys,

I read many times that raw benchers should not "flare the elbows out like a chicken".

As I stated here :
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/mat_angus#myForums/thread/6110508/

I found FOR MYSELF that flaring the elbows and don't bench like a geared lifter suits best for me. And I can tell you that I flare out A LOT ! Maybe too much...???
But after reading again and again the same advices, I wanted to know why this is so recommended to keep elbows at a 45degre (approx.) angle ?

Thank you
Mat'


#2

The elbows should be approximately 45 deg at the point the bar touches the chest/abdomen area. After beginning the press, the bar drifts up towards the shoulders and the elbows flare then.


#3

It is not meant to tuck the elbow like geared benchers. It also depends on grip width, I f you look at Allen Baria and Lazlo Meszaros you wiill notice their elbows are much more flared than Eric Spoto. Leverages also play a role (Longer arms=more flared)

Usually raw lifters want their wrists and elbows to be in line with the bar (most efficient way to press) without letting the elbow to drift behind the bar.

Also when u touch at the base of the sternum ur elbows should be tucked better automatically and that to prevent shoulders injuries and to engage the lats better for more stability.


#4

Completely flared, bar to upper chest or even the neck, is simply not going to be an efficient way to bench. It’s also a great way to fuck up your shoulders. I hope you’re not benching like that.

Ecchastang nailed it. Listen to him, he’s got an amazing bench press.


#5

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
The elbows should be approximately 45 deg at the point the bar touches the chest/abdomen area. After beginning the press, the bar drifts up towards the shoulders and the elbows flare then.[/quote]

thanks so much !
Tried this today… FINALLY I felt the movement going right.

Mat’


#6

slangshot


#7

[quote]mat_angus wrote:
Hello guys,

I read many times that raw benchers should not “flare the elbows out like a chicken”.
[/quote]
How dose a chicken bench without hands?


#8

[quote]kenny-mccormick wrote:

[quote]mat_angus wrote:
Hello guys,

I read many times that raw benchers should not “flare the elbows out like a chicken”.
[/quote]
How dose a chicken bench without hands?[/quote]

With his pecks!

… I’ll see my way out.


#9

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[quote]kenny-mccormick wrote:

[quote]mat_angus wrote:
Hello guys,

I read many times that raw benchers should not “flare the elbows out like a chicken”.
[/quote]
How dose a chicken bench without hands?[/quote]

With his pecks!

… I’ll see my way out.[/quote]

Hahaha well done sir