Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Woke at 239.0 lbs and tired. I stayed up way too late.

I need to lift today. I’ve had two days off. But I don’t want to lift right now. I want to go back to sleep. There’s a chance I can go to the work gym and squeeze in my upper body session. I just have to force myself to go. I’m in a funk where I just want to rest. It doesn’t happen often but if I can force myself to get in the gym and start moving then it should reset my brain and get me back to normal.

My wife had another round of her Jekyll and Hyde behavior last night regarding my faint desire to change careers. I had a meeting with an advisor at my alma mater and figured out what it will take to go back and get another degree in PE. we started talking about it and at first she seemed to be encouraging me. It felt like she wanted me to do it and thought I’d be a good teacher/coach.

Then she flipped and started getting all frustrated with me for considering a career change at this stage of our lives. Long story short, I think I’m going to stick with my current gig and try to make the most of it.

The biggest part of my job that I find frustrating is that I feel stuck with a certain schedule. I have to have three weekdays off so I can stay home with our kids. There are a lot of opportunities to do different things but I’m kind of stuck with a short list. I’ll only be “stuck” for three more years and then both of our kids will be in school. The problem with that is that I tend to look forward to things. I don’t want to look forward to the day my son goes to kindergarten. I know that if I get focused on that then I’ll wake up one day and realize I just drifted through years of my life without living it.

I need to figure out a way to enjoy the present. There’s been a lot of negativity flying around our department lately and I think it’s rubbing off on me. It’s time for a mental reset… I just don’t know how to do that.

2 Likes

I remember thinking this way when I stayed home with my kids. The monotony of every day, the exhaustion and lack of “you”, it is very hard.
But its true, one day you turn around and your children are moving away and starting their own lives, and you are left wondering where the time went, and should you of done more, spent more time etc…I hope you get through this period and find what makes you happy in terms of your own life and needs.

1 Like

Thanks, @littlelee! It’s tough to find balance between what I do for others and what I do for me.

GSS&S W9 D4 (last day of third phase)

PENDLAY ROW
135 x 5 x 2
185 x 3 x 2
215 x 3 x 5 sets
superset with
BENCH
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 2
255 x 3 x 5 sets

OHP (this was an adventure today)
152 x 3
that’s right–152 lbs! I can’t use 45’s because I’ll hit the ceiling so I threw on these old ass 25’s and it was a grinder of a set and the right side felt heavier than the left. I pulled the 25’s off and someone was nice enough to mark them. The two on the left weighed 26 lbs and the two on the right are 27.5 lbs. It made a difference.

125 x 3
I grabbed different 25’s but I thought they were 35’s because they’re significantly larger than all the other 25’s. The set was super easy so I double checked and wouldn’t ya know it? 25’s instead of 35’s.

145 x 3 x 3 sets Finally got it together.

superset with
NEUTRAL PULL UPS
BW + 60 x 3 x 5 sets

Done in about 35 minutes. I did bench, then rows, and then rested a minute. On OHP and Pull Ups I just rested as long as it took to saunter back and forth between stations.

3 Likes

I get that way sometime just overwhelmed with every fricking demand on me and I just need a break.

So, I just shut down everything. I get in the car and drive (sometimes 2-3000 miles). I go see new parts of the country and nature. I don’t answer my phone no social media…I unplug and just do me.

My kids go with me on these excursions we sleep in tents, in the car, in hotels. Just unwind. After 4-5 days I’m ready to come home.

Vacation!

3 Likes

I forgot to weigh myself yesterday and I did it after I got dressed for work this morning. I was 241ish.

Worked 10 hours yesterday, went home for 40 minutes, and then worked another 4+ hours of security at a baseball game. Doing the same again today. I plan to start training again on Monday. I’m sure I’ll be worn out tomorrow and there’s no reason to force a workout when I can do it Monday. I’ll try to get back to my routine of Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

2 Likes

Woke at 238.6 lbs.

9 hours of work left and then I’m off for three days. I need it. Unfortunately my yard needs mowed. It’s been low to mid 90’s here the last two days and today will be slightly worse. I really don’t want to mow in the evening when it’s 95 degrees. I’m ready to sit and chill a bit after the last two nights.

I got off at 10:30 last night. It was tough to get up for work this morning. I managed to roll out of bed at 6:20 wondering where all my “snooze” time went. My alarm starts going off at 5:40 but I’m really bad about hitting the snooze. I set two alarms. On a good day I’ll actually wake up a bit and realize that I’m hitting the snooze and that I get 10 more minutes of sleep. I don’t really remember doing that today.

Tomorrow will be leg day and I’m sure I’ll feel nice and fresh, but that will probably come with some worse than usual DOMs on Tuesday and Wednesday. There’s a good chance I’ll put off mowing til tomorrow but I won’t get it done early in the morning like I should so I’ll still be doing it when it’s hot.

3 Likes

I mowed the yard after work!

I’m quite sleepy and it’s 8:27…and I’ve been sleepy for at least an hour.

I’m going to wake up the old fashioned way tomorrow. No alarms (but I’m sure the kids will wake me).

3 Likes

So glad to hear you had a good day man!

1 Like

Waking up without an alarm is the best, hopefully your kids sleep in.

1 Like

Woke at 238.8 lbs.

I did not get to wake up as naturally as I would’ve liked. My daughter came to my side of the bed around 6:30 and bugged me. She wouldn’t go away. My wife finally got up around 7:20 and she went downstairs with her but my sleep was ruined.

Guaranteed Simple Strength & Size Week 10 Day 1

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

SQUAT
135 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 5
285 x 4
305 x 3 belt and sleeves on for this set and on
325 x 2 video
345 x 1 video and a bit of extra depth for @arminb
I took video of 325 x 2 because I seriously thought it might bury me on the second rep and there would be no 345 attempt. Boy was I wrong!

POWER CLEAN
225 x 3
245 x 8 reps for time (4:57)
all hook grip

DEADLIFT
315 x 3
365 x 5
385 x 4
405 x 3
425 x 2 video
445 x 1 video

REVERSE LUNGE (SMITH)
125 x 5 ea
135 x 4 ea
145 x 3 ea
155 x 2 ea
165 x 1 ea

Remember this from last week? Well today WAS one of those awesome days! Last week’s unintentional mini deload left me feeling great today. I’m afraid I might have some worse than usual DOMs in the coming days but what can you do?

I typed this on the computer. I’ll post the videos here in a minute after I edit them on my phone.

3 Likes

F Instagram.

4 Likes

Double-check your settings.

I’m working on it. I posted the exact same way as before. I’ll just upload it to YouTube.

1 Like

Those rare days, where everything is like butter is so good.
Well done Big J :slight_smile:

This program is the one I’ll be doing after the Darkhorse, unless of course something else comes around :slight_smile:

Don’t know what is happening here, I can’t any of the two IG videos. Getting a message that it’s restricted in my country… WTF

1 Like

The Darkhorse program looks intriguing but I think I’ll stick to the basics of this for awhile. I’m leaning towards keeping some aspects of this when I start my CrossFit journey. I might still try to do 3 sets one day and 5 sets later in the week on Bench, Deads, and Squats. The reps might vary or I’ll just start over at 8 and work my way back down. It’ll be a bit of trial and error while I get accustomed to getting my butt kicked in the CrossFit workouts. The one thing I’m certain of is that I WILL continue to do the big three. Nothing will get neglected. I’m tired of moving forward and falling back.

This is probably the strongest I’ve ever been on all three at the same time. I’ve had moments of similar strength on one of the big three, but I’ve never had all three of them near my PR’s at the same time.

I also really enjoyed today’s rep scheme of 5/4/3/2/1 so don’t be surprised if you see me throw in some 10/8/6/4/2 days down the road.

Dare I say/try 8/6/3??? :laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

Damn dude. That squat looked like another 10-20 left in there. Deads too…

No form break and excellent reps!

1 Like

Louie Simmons suggested some of the guys in the gym that were weaker and needed to improve general strength did rep scheme work instead of speed work.

6x6 (2-3 weeks)
8x8 (ditto)
10x10 ^

They would do a weight and progress the weights week to week until they hit a stall then drop the weight some and do the next reps scheme…and again to 10s.

I’m assuming it is a linear percentage based jump week to week. It was a secondary day for bench… considering his gym had 500-800 lbs benchers, we would be considered weak and be doing that instead of speed work…

1 Like

If you like 5-4-3-2-1 rep scheme AND you like CT stuff

You will love this one

It’s hard work but damn I will do it again one day.

That’s some solid lifting mate, well done.

1 Like

Nice job :slight_smile: Sorry you didnt get the sleep in you wanted! Enjoy your days off!

1 Like