Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

F*** man.
I’m not that much of a praying person, but this one I will.
That’s just terrible, poor wife/mother.
We spend all our hours on the street to fight crime, drunk driving and all kind of shit.
To end it like that damn, what a shame. Thin Blue Line.

1 Like

That sucks fkn balls man, I ride motorcycle every day to work and back and this made me feel physically sick. I’m not religious but I will say a prayer for that poor family tonight. Stay safe everyone.

1 Like

And I’m going on a motorcycle road trip with some friends next weekend. Makes one really alert when riding.

1 Like

Woke at 238.2 lbs.

Guaranteed Simple Strength & Size W6 D3 (Last leg day!!!)

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

SQUAT
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 5 x 5 sets (beltless until last two sets)
superset first three sets with
JUMP SQUATS
BW x 5 x 3 sets

POWER CLEAN
185 x 3
205 x 3
225 x 2
245 x 2
265 x 1 + 2 misses
Everything was beltless and hook grip until 265 where I added straps. 245 with hook was a hook grip PR. I screwed up my first pull on my 2nd attempt of 265. I pulled too fast like I was deadlifting and it threw off my second pull. Idiot.

DEADLIFT
355 x 5 x 5 sets
All sets done with a belt and straps. My lower back was starting to feel the fatigue so I didn’t want to risk an injury. Actually, the first set was beltless and didn’t feel great.

WALKING DB LUNGE
50s x 5 ea x 5 sets

RDLs
Skipped! I actually get to sub cleans for RDL’s from weeks 7 through 12. I’ve technically added cleans as part of my warm up for deadlift. I decided to drop the RDL’s one workout early because this program is a beast on the high volume leg day.

FARMERS WALK (trap bar + straps)
315 x 30m x 6
Supposed to be 5 sets but after #5 I’m a long ways away from the starting point so I might as well carry it back…or do 4 sets.

CONDITIONING
Run the straightaway, walk the curve x 8 (4 laps, 2/3 mile). Took about 7:17 today. I feel really big and slow after doing all of my leg work.

6 Likes

Nice work man! Those superset jump squat look killer.

1 Like

They’re a win-win. Jump squats or plyos are good before heavy squats to fire up the CBS. And jump squats after heavy squats are good because you’re recruiting all of the muscle fibers and making them contract rapidly (in theory).

I don’t know if I’m actually checking either box but I like them. I’ve also found that a measly 3 sets of 5 can help me maintain a decent vertical when I’m away from the court.

Ahh man I really like the setup of this program.
When I’ve milked this 5/3/1 journey this would be my next… or maybe one of all the others.

1 Like

Woke at 239.2 lbs

I guess it’s time to start tracking my food again.

No training today. I also skipped the Stretch and Roll class at the Y. I had to take my Tahoe to the shop to get a rattle checked out and I’m just not in the mood to do anything today. I’m pretty drained today. My back hurts. I think I’ll just be a bum and sit around.

1 Like

Woke at 236.6 lbs. Ate about 3200 calories yesterday.

Today has been a good day. I went to the UPS store to return our Direct TV equipment. The lady helping me asked about my tattoo on my inner bicep.

Right arm: The Lord is slow to anger but great in power

Left arm: The Lord will not leave the guilty unpunished

Nahum 1:3

I said “I’m a cop and it helps keep me sane.”
Her: “You’re really hot.”
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

GSS&S W6 D4

BENCH
135 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 1 decided I was going to over warm up so my working sets felt lighter.
245 x 1
265 x 1
285 x 1 and it was almost easy! Must be doing something right because I haven’t moved that weight in a long time. :smile:
235 x 5 x 5 sets

PENDLAY ROW
185 x 5 x 5 sets

OHP
125 x 5 x 5 sets
Took a long rest after set 3 to help me finish.

NEUTRAL PULL UPS
+35 x 5 x 5

REV CABLE FLY
30 x 10 x 3 sets
20 x 8F/8T/8B x 2 sets

CARDIO
Jog 5 laps in 4:35 (11.5 laps = 1 mile). I felt pathetic and out of breath so I quit early.

STRETCH & ROLL CLASS

Checked my lifting journal and the last time I moved 285 on bench was June of last year while doing wave loading. I tried to max out with 295 later in the year and failed.

7 Likes

Damn Big J, That’s serious benching and for an overwarmup.
Awesome :slight_smile:

Not that awesome.
But the condition will come as well.
I haven’t been doing any cardio for a month, and i suffer a lot.

1 Like

I’m hoping it was worse than it needed to be due to leg fatigue/soreness and no warm up. I lifted and just started jogging. Jogging hurts.

Running on Monday wasn’t terrible.

1 Like

Damn son!

1 Like

285 x 1 … Quality

1 Like

It only counts as a compliment if she was really hot too :wink: I appreciate compliments but most of mine are from creepy guys at the grocery store :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

That is awful and my prayers definitely w them. Ugh.

1 Like

She was a little older than me and not unattractive. I’ll take it!

5 Likes

I would take it and feed off that for weeks #stillgotit

5 Likes

Odd pick up technique: Excuse me miss, may I share some scripture with you?

1 Like

Woke at 237 and change. Ate about 3900 calories yesterday.

Rest Day

My wife keeps confusing and irritating me. She pretty much told me she doesn’t think I should go back to school to be a PE teacher. She doesn’t think it’s a good fit for me. Fair enough, so I pretty much crossed it off the list for now. I’ve been focusing on developing something within the department and contacting other agencies about their programs.

A few days ago she makes a joke about how she only has a couple of weeks left of school and adds “Just think if we were both teachers ;).”

Well, crap. I thought she was against it. And then last night she tells me how we could go on a long vacation without using any leave time if I was a teacher.

So I brought it all up again and after a few minutes it was clear that she’s against it. I’d have to go back to school for two and a half more years… I’d be like 40 when I finally retired from police work and started teaching.

Talk about mixed signals…

The pro’s of staying with the department:

• I can retire with 50% after 20 years. I’ll be 50.

• I don’t have to start over at the bottom of the pay scale or start my retirement over.

• I’m still working in a profession where I can help people and maybe I’ll be able to develop a fitness program here. Someone has to push for change.

Pro’s of Being a Teacher:

• Summers off

• Almost a guarantee that I’ll get to work in a weight room with high school kids.

• I can coach and mentor adolescent boys and try to teach them how to be men (which I could probably do anyway but it will require much more of my free time if I keep my current job).

My hang ups for changing careers is the part about going back to school and starting a new retirement and career when I’m 40. I won’t get my money back for the education part. It’ll be a huge stress on my family.

Obviously the pro’s of staying where I’m at is that I won’t add stress to my family. I’ll have a good paycheck and solid retirement plan. The con’s are that I might not ever get to use my strength and conditioning background to help people.

I’m kind of viewing it as…

Teaching almost guarantees that I get to do that.

Continuing to be a cop gives me the possibility of doing that, but it’s a long uphill road with no guarantees…

Luckily I still have a few years to figure it out.

2 Likes

You have logically thought it out. What does your heart say

1 Like