Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

2 Likes

BD 5/3/1 C3 W2 D4

WARM UP
3 laps jogging + 1 lap of lunges, butt kicks, high knees, leg swings, etc (two-thirds of a mile total)

DEADLIFT
135 x 10 x 2
185 x 10 x 2
225 x 8 x 2
Felt good but no need to rush.

HAMMER ROW (MYO)
230 x 10
250 x 10
270 x 10-3-3-3-2

NEUTRAL PULL DOWN (R/P)
180 x 6
200 x 6
220 x 5-3-3 last week was 6-4-4.

HANG SGHP
135 x 5 x 2
145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 5

REAR DELT MACHINE (mTor)
70 x 10
80 x 8
85 x 10

FARMERS WALK
I started at the rack and made a short lap around the end of the track and back. I broke it up into four sets letting my grip be the deciding factor.

100’s x 50 steps, 40 steps, 44 steps (hook grip), 26 steps.

NETFLIX & CARDIO
Elliptical 10 minutes while watching Rules of Engagement

5 Likes

3.15.18 One of the greatest days on Earth for television—March Madness!!!

Woke at 225.6 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3352 calories, 375g carbs, 79g fat, 231g protein.

I will be taking today off from training. I’m sore from squats and deads this week and I need a day off anyway. I’ll be on light duty for three more weeks which means I’ll be working out on the weekends while I’m here. Thursdays have become my favorite day to rest. I’m a little tired from getting up on time (been sleeping in) and I’m sure being able to do squats, deads, and farmers walks have added some stress to my body (in a good way).

So here’s to a day of nothing. I’ll probably find a way to watch some basketball since there are TV’s around the office. 16 games today…what a day!

5 Likes

A day of nothing is a day of growing and recovering.:+1:

2 Likes

3.16.18 Day 2 of March Madness and equally as great as yesterday for watching TV

(why didn’t anyone tell me I typed the wrong date yesterday?)

Woke at 224.4 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3281 calories, 438g carbs, 83g fat, 216g protein.

I’ve been behind on my food the last few days because I didn’t start out with breakfast right away. I’ve also been okay with it after the Taco Bell and pizza binge. I felt like I needed to come up short a few days to make up for the overages.

I also forgot to note that I stopped taking pre-workout on Tuesday and started taking creatine and beta alanine. Hopefully I can stay around 224 for the time being and limit the water bloating.

4 Likes

BD 5/3/1 C3 W2 D5

WARM UP
2 lap dynamic warm up. 1 lap jog. 1 lap lunges, stretching, etc.

BENCH (5/3/1 + CLUSTERS)
135 x 10
170 x 3
195 x 3
220 x 9 Felt like I had 10 but I paused with the weight locked out and I didn’t want to risk getting pinned.
235 x 1 x 8 (clusters every 20 seconds)

SQUAT
135 x 10
165 x 10
195 x 5
225 x 3 x 4 sets w/ 30 sec rest

STANDING DB OHP (MYO, DOUBLE R/P…SOMETHING?)
50 x 10
55 x 8
60 x 5-2-2-2

ROPE PRESS DOWN 21s
110 x 8T/8B/8F
130 x 8T/8B/8F
130 x 8F/8B/8T

Planned on doing some (very slow) tempo runs but cut my workout short to watch the Shockers. That was a disappointment. Can’t believe I skipped training for that :disappointed:

4 Likes

Don’t be, you were just released to workout and did a great squat session.
I bet it was your legs telling you to back the f*** off, we’re tired mate.

Woke at 224.0 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3723 calories, 421g carbs, 119g fat, 177g protein.

Best Damn 5/3/1 C3 W2 D6

WARM UP
2 laps dynamic warm up. Same as yesterday.

DEADLIFT / POWER CLEAN / RDL
135 x 10 deadlift
135 x 5 power clean
135 x 10 RDL
135 x 5 power clean
135 x 10 RDL
all deadlifts now
185 x 5 x 2
225 x 5 x 2
275 x 5 x 2

J ROPE PULL (mTor)
155 x 10
170 x 10
185 x 11 + 20 sec stretch

HAMMER ISO PULL DOWN (MYO)
180 x 10
200 x 10-3-3-3-3-2
These are very similar to the J Rope Pulls and I was smoked.

VOYER SHRUG
150 ea arm x 15 x 3 sets

REVERSE CABLE CURL 21s
70 x 10B/10T/10F
70 x 10F/10T/10B

RUNNING
Tempo Runs @ 60-70%
Run straightaway (80-90 meters), walk curve (40-50 meters) x 12 for 6 total laps (1 mile)

Running felt great. Once I got going I felt pretty smooth considering my physical state and lack of running for three months. It wasn’t too hard physically but just what my legs need to start getting back into running shape (or at least my version of running shape).

@mortdk my legs feel great! They’re sore and tired but I’m loving it!

Training ADD Kicking In…

This may very well be the conclusion of Best Damn 5/3/1 (Rehab Edition). I said I was going to finish it out but I’m getting tired of the intensification sets. I’ve been running them hard for 12 weeks. I wrote out CT’s Simple Guaranteed Strength & Size program and I’m seriously considering running it.

It’s a 12 week double progression method (add volume first, then weight in alternating fashion). As I’ve been doing my deadlift and squat work I’ve been trying to figure out some sort of rhyme or reason to my reps and loads. For now I’m just winging it, but I prefer to have a plan and progression in mind. I think the double progression of CT’s program could be perfect for that. I’m looking at week 12 and thinking about what weights I want to hit and then doing the math backwards to get my starting weights. I’ll definitely be starting too light on squats and deads but by the end of the 12 weeks I should be back to my pre-surgery strength (I hope).

As I sit here and think about my work schedule and how to structure my training I think it’d be best to start my training week on Friday. The program is written to train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I could do Friday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and that would put the longer days on my days off (Days 1 & 2 are 3 x 8 while days 3 & 4 are 5 x 8). It will totally mess with my head because my training weeks have started on Mondays for my entire training life. Running my rehab program while on light duty has messed with my head because I’m starting the weeks on Sundays.

Going back to a four day a week program would allow me to throw in cardio/conditioning on two off days a week to satisfy my desire to train daily. It also won’t force me to choose between one or the other in terms of energy. It’s definitely tougher to run after lifting, especially if chest or abs get smoked during the session.

Thanks for staying with me if you read to the end!

3 Likes

You are a beast! Since the weather is improving as we approach summer I plan to add some running/ walking/ riding my road bike to my “off days” and get some Liss cardio to burn through some of this fat. I am like you in that it takes self discipline to not train every day. The four day split is awesome. Got get it man! Glad to have you back in the land of the lift beast

1 Like

Thanks, @losthog! It’s good to be back…or at least on my way to being back.

I feel like I’m finally starting my recovery. Everything to this point has been forced rest.

1 Like

Good to have you back in lifting again Big J.
I am impressed that you’re already able to run a mile and DL some good weight.
Now I’m going to google a bit for that CT program is it on his forum or here on TN.
I would hate to start a week on any other day than a monday or tuesday :slight_smile:

EDIT: Found it. Looks very interesting. Have tingled a bit with the weights to have an end weight. Looks promising. A lot of programs to try. Hard to stay 5/3/1 course. Might however give this a try after my Rise of The Viking.

1 Like

It might be a good change of pace for me. I looked at the numbers and if I just increase 10 lbs per week on the lifts then I’ll be hitting some good numbers by the end. I’ll even throw in power cleans at week 7 and run my 6 week power clean program concurrently. It’s power cleans on one day and clean pulls on the other. I think it’ll fit perfectly.

I think it’s also a good method to follow in terms of regaining my lost strength. I have a feeling the 5 x 8 days are going to be a bit rough but if I rest accordingly then it could be easier on my body than PR sets from 5/3/1. I’m going to start super light and just let the program progress me slowly back to heavy weights. If all goes well then I should be squatting more at the end of the program than I was before surgery. That won’t be a PR or anything; I just hadn’t been squatting much and it showed when I maxed out the week of surgery.

1 Like

Woke at 228.2 lbs after having fajitas for dinner… and chips, and guac…

Taking today off in preparation for my new program. I’ll officially start on Friday. I’m going to do Friday and Saturday’s workouts on Monday and Wednesday to a) give me something to do and, b) see how the weights feel and adjust my starting numbers if needed. I’ll do the same workouts again Friday and Saturday to officially start the program.

I think you are a wise weight warrior to start light and linear progress. It’s the long game we play. You want to be an 80year old bad ass or a broken down 45 year old with a limp and a jelly doughnut belly?

All the little stabilizer muscles need to get a refresher course in get stout!

1 Like

I’ve already accepted the fact that I’ll never be a badass in weight room terms… BUT, I can play the long-term game and maintain what I have for decades. I think in the end I’ll be in better shape that most of the big guys who do ridiculous things now.

I’m hoping for something like this… :smile:
Untitled

10 Likes

Woke at 229.2 lbs, then I went #1 and magically weighed 227.8 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3483 calories, 452g carbs, 106g fat, 194g protein.

Today’s Training

Guaranteed Strength & Size Practice Day 1
WARM UP
3 lap dynamic warm up that did not feel good. About 40 meters in to jogging my first lap something on my sacrum shifted and it was angry. It felt like I had an aggravated nerve or a strain to a muscle in that area. I’m already getting better with running and being able to pick up the speed but not today.

SQUAT (No pain!)
135 x 8
185 x 8
205 x 8 x 3 sets This is my working weight for week 1 of the new program

DEADLIFT
135 x 8
205 x 8
255 x 8 x 3 sets Good working weight. Learned that the new non-round plates are bigger than the bumpers. This weight is challenging but not crushing, and allows me to use all bumpers so I don’t have a runaway bar.

WALKING DB LUNGE
30’s x 8 ea x 3 sets

RDL’S
135 x 8 x 3

FARMERS CARRY
70s x 60 ish meters x 3 sets

So this workout felt great! It’s been a really long time since I’ve done a lower body day. I’ve been doing mostly push/pull and rarely stack leg exercises back to back. The weights are light (except for squat) but that gives me plenty of room for improvement and also keeps me from rushing things since I’ve been cleared for less than a week. This workout took 43 minutes but I’m guessing adding two sets to everything for 5 x 8 is going to extend it a bit and take a lot more out of me.

8 Likes

Great work mate, made me smile just reading that. Quality

2 Likes

If walking around at 12% - I wouldn’t worry too much. So you went from 210# LBM to 198.

Might take a year to get back. Could do a race to 210 LBM at under 10%. I could get excited about that. I know I could hit the 233# number. As to doing it at 10% - last time I was at 10% I was 212 lol.

1 Like

I’m still not convinced that I can get to a lowish body fat at 230+ lbs but I’m going to try.

I’m a bloated 230 this morning (creatine). I’m trying to get back to 240 or even up to 250 lbs. I got up to a fluffy 247 before cutting down to a lean 231 lbs back in 2007.

I’m not really a fan of a huge bulk where a bunch of fat is added so I’m hoping to limit that this time around. I’m only trying to gain 1.5 lbs per month because everything I’ve read says an experienced lifter can add 0.5-1.0 lbs of muscle per month.

1 Like

Woke at 230.0 lbs. That’s way ahead of schedule but I’m blaming the addition of creatine last week. I’ve also been eating a bit later than usual to get my calories in. No big deal.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3664 calories, 450g carbs, 99g fat, 200g protein

No training today. In preparation for my new program I’ve decided to lift tomorrow and take Thursday off. Friday is the official day one of the new workout. I didn’t want to lift today and take two days off. Today is also tight on time due to some errands and an afternoon movie date with my wife. I’ll have plenty of time to lift tomorrow.

4 Likes