Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I’m still fine tuning my weights but I like them. I used them with Layers. It’s a little tricky picking the right weight after a 5/3/1+ set.

@losthog @mortdk @simo74

It was his idea to sell his stuff below cost! Everything has a sticker price on it and according to those I would’ve paid $898 + tax to get all that.

I’m pretty set on protein for a while. I can’t home with 60 lbs lol

3 Likes

Wow those supps! I think even phil heath would be jelaous lol

1 Like

Woke at 226.0 lbs LOL! I’ve been chipping away at the leftover pizza and I think the salt is a big factor in my weight today. I woke up to pee like three times last night and I was very thirsty. I also struggled to get my rings off this morning.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3467 calories, 453g carbs, 84g fat, 229g protein. That pizza has to have more fat…

I went to the doctor at 0900 this morning and finally saw my surgeon for the first time since surgery. It was a short appointment and he mostly showed some younger folks (residents, interns, something like that) my photos from surgery and explained what he did. I think it was more about teaching them than evaluating me. They checked my range of motion with internal and external rotation and asked if there were any problems. All seems good.

Doc asked if I was feeling better overall; i.e. no pain with movements that used to hurt. Sadly, I haven’t had a chance to find out. The things that used to hurt were getting out of a Dodge Charger, squats, some lunges, running, and basketball. The only one of those things that I’ve done is walking lunges. No pain with those though.

The good news is that Doc told me I could do pretty much anything I wanted. The typical standard of his preferred physical therapist is that I do a single-leg squat with the repaired leg before running. I haven’t had a chance to try that so that’s definitely on the list for today. I need to perfect running straight ahead before cutting and changing directions (duh). It sounds like I’m free to progress with lifting as I please. Finally! I’ll be starting with sets of 10-20 reps on squats and deads. My goal is to be able to do my full 5/3/1 program in a couple weeks when it’s time for my next cycle (obviously with significantly lighter TMs).

9 Likes

Great news from the doctor man! Can’t wait to see a healthy return to getting after it!

2 Likes

Great news man.
New Log Name, I like it.
Big J is back in business :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YES!!! Freakin Awesome!!! I’m looking forward to see how it goes for you :smiley:

1 Like

Good to hear your on the mend mate.

1 Like

Best Damn 5/3/1 C3 W2 D3

I’m still going to finish this cycle, but my leg work will now be light sets of squats, deadlifts, RDL’s, basically everything I’ve been missing for the past 12 weeks.

WARM UP
5 minutes Recumbent Elliptical L5

SQUAT
135 x 10 x 4 sets I have a pinch in my hip (normal at this point) so depth is shallow but I’ll take it.

SMITH OHP (5/3/1 + CLUSTERS)
105 x 10
130 x 3
145 x 3
165 x 3 — WTF??? That wasn’t expected. Oh, well. I’m too happy about being able to do legs normally for this to upset me.
CLUSTERS
165 x 1 x 4 (15-20 sec between reps)

SPLIT SQUAT (BETWEEN SETS OF OHP)
BW x 20 ea x 3 sets

OH ROPE EXTENSION (mTor)
100 x 10
110 x 8
120 x 8 + 20 sec stretch

MACHINE BENCH
130 x 10 mTor
100 x 10B/10T/10F

TIRE FLIPS (Not as heavy as I’d like but still fun to use)
30 sec on (8 reps)/35 sec off/30 sec on (9 reps)
Tabata style 8 rounds, 7 reps per round

RUNNING
11 laps on the track (FML) for 1.0 mile in 9:00. I’ll take that pace considering I was running almost as slow as possible and just trying to not have an out of balance stride.

It was tough to hold back and not do more leg training. Luckily I was able to remind myself that doing 1000 reps today won’t be better than doing 100 reps/day over the course of 10 days. Stimulate, not annihilate. Rest. Repeat.

7 Likes

Here’s the tire flip contraption I found at the gym. This is one of six branches in town and I rarely go here. My other two choices don’t have this.

8 Likes

That’s great news man!

1 Like

Your gyms have the coolest shit man.

2 Likes

That’s what you get with multi million dollar “non-profit” facilities!

They name the entire facility and/or parts of it after their big donors. Big businesses need tax write offs and we like having sweet gyms. It’s a win-win.

1 Like

Woke at 225.6 lbs.

I’m beginning to think I did some damage with Taco Bell and pizza in a three day span.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3371 calories, 364 carbs, 92 fat, 193g protein.

My legs are hurting today. My lower back is also sore from 135 lb squats. Boy do I have a long way to go… The worst soreness I have is in my knees. I think the crap I’ve been doing to modify my training has angered them. Hopefully that goes away soon. No more leg extensions.

1 Like

Everyone’s talking about their physique and all this week so I thought I’d comment on mine.

I’m entering my panic mode phase. My abs look like crap and my love handles are growing. It kills my overall look (the v taper) and I hate myself.

I think over the past few years I’ve shed some muscle in pursuit of abs and I have to battle through this to fix that. 11 years ago I topped out at 247 lbs and hit close to single digit body fat after cutting back to 231 lbs (8 or 9% BF by calipers). These days I have to be at 220 lbs to be close to 12% BF.

I hate looking like this. I’m hoping to build up my shoulders so it distracts people from my stomach.

Remember training for longevity!

@Frank_C it’s good that you are being rough on yourself because it means you want it and are taking it seriously! I’ve never doubted your commitment but personally have times where I am not honest with myself and it is a huge setback. I am excited to see what you can do and know you absolutely have the strength mentally to do this :laughing: You are a badass Mr.!!

Just in case someone is wondering what a ‘hyperbole’ is.

2 Likes

@littlesleeper SERIOUSLY :joy: I was feeling sorry for him but thought it was a little different!! That’s the last time I feel bad for anyone on t-nation ever!

1 Like

For you :smiley: this is what I really was meaning to post earlier before I got all sensitive!

Somehow I’ve convinced myself that I’m on a two year (at least) journey instead of a 6-8 week bulking plan.

I’ll still thank you for being nice even though you erased it with your second post LOL!

I’m sure I’ve mentioned multiple times how I cycle from bulking to cutting and this is usually the turnaround point where I look in the mirror and say “Nope. No f***ing way. I’m going back to cutting and being lean.” :smiley: Not this time! Hell I only outweigh you by a few pounds and I’m all stretched out. It’s going to take some work to produce a larger scaled version of your physique!

2 Likes