Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Nice, I’ll probably watch it after I finish Stranger Things (so I in like six months or so… I’m not the most active watcher)

1 Like

OK, I’m severely underweighting my leg press assistance if you’re doing 380# single leg…

Is this on a 45 degree press or a flat (90 degree) press/sled?

Rise of the Machines
Rise of the Slaya @duketheslaya

I’m going to change my log to “Rise of the …” [to be determined]

1 Like

45 Degree hip sled. I only track the plates. 4 plates + a 10 on each side.

This exact machine yesterday.

2 Likes

Easy one “Rise of the Marines”

3 Likes

Yeah when I state weight for the leg press, I only keep track of the plates too.

Man, I better get off my ass and stop being such a puss.

You’re doing 380# single leg? At what depth?

you clever bastard!!!

1 Like

And DONE

2 Likes

Full ROM? I used to go full depth (like thigh hitting Mt stomach) but since my surgery I’m trying to stop a little short since I know I have impingement. Occasionally I feel a nice pop in my hip with the heavier sets.

@Frank_C @mortdk @cdmac24 Nice log names :wink:

3 Likes

Woke at 221.6 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3202 calories, 314g carbs, 119g fat, 241g protein.

BD 5/3/1 W3 D4

WARM UP
Treadmill walking for 15 min. 0.93 miles.

PULL UPS (R/P)
6, 6, 7-3-2-2
I hate pull ups now. This nerve thing has killed my ability to do these.

SMITH RDLs
105 x 10 + 10 mTor style
155 x 10
175 x 10
195 x 10

HAMMER ROW (mTor)
180 x 8 x 2
190 x 11 + 30 sec stretch (straps)

4 WAY HIP MACHINE - EXTENSION
160 x 10
205 x 10
250 x 10

INCLINE DB HAMMER CURL (R/P)
30 x 6 x 2
35 x 6-2-2
Same problem as pull ups. Nerve pain/damage has killed my ability to do much here.

45* BACK EXTENSION
BW x 25
30 x 12 x 2

1 Like

How do these feel? Weird asf?

Not too bad. It’s tricky trying to figure out where to put the bar in relationship to my legs/feet. I just hinge at the hips so the only thing that moves is my rear end. With free weights the bar just slides down my legs. I can kind of achieve the same thing with the Smith. I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to be doing anything like this with my left leg so I thought I’d start out on the Smith since it’s a bit more stable.

I have a list of questions ready for PT today.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that yesterday marked 7 weeks since surgery.

Woke at 222.6 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3223 calories, 280g carbs, 147g fat, 214g protein. I ate some leftover queso after dinner in case you were wondering about the fat numbers. It was delicious!

I planned to lift after PT today but decided to wait until tomorrow. PT went well and I even worked up a sweat so I figured lifting tomorrow would be better than cramming it all in today and doing absolutely nothing tomorrow.

I can now use the elliptical. I can do single-leg leg press with 60-80 lbs on the plate stack versions. I can do lunges, squats, and split squats as long as I don’t go past 90 degrees hip flexion (all super light, of course). And I get to continue to do my PT stuff including but not limited to hip abduction, monster walks, lateral walks, single-leg balance, etc. Oh yeah, I can also do leg extensions which excites me because I’m tired of looking at my soft and mushy quad.

2 Likes

We need progress pictures to see what happens after you’ve trained your neglected quad for a couple of weeks

I have some pics for this journey but standing relaxed doesn’t reveal anything. I took photos December 17th, January 1st, and again on January 17th. I haven’t posted them because there isn’t much to see. I think the mushiness I see is more noticeable when I flex. I supposed I could take a photo from this point forward.

It’s possible I’m just being hard on myself too. Either way I’m excited to start doing something with my leg other than walking!

4 Likes

Woke at 223.0 lbs which is a little high but I don’t care. My goal was to be 222-223 by March 1.

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3394 calories, 254g carbs, 162g fat (more queso), 240g protein.

Best Damn 5/3/1 W3 D5

WARM-UP
Precor AMT 10 minutes L1 0.93 miles

BENCH (5/3/1 R/P)
135 x 10
155 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 3 (supposed to be 200 but this was easier to load)
220 x 6-2-2

SEATED DB OHP (MYO)
40 x 10
45 x 10
50 x 12-6x3-2
Not sure what happened here but I did much better than last week.

LEG EXTENSION (mTor)
70 x 10 R / 40 x 10 L
80 x 10 R/ 50 x 10 L
90 x 11 R/60 x 11 L

CABLE PRESS DOWN (MYO)
120 x 10
140 x 10
160 x 12-3-3-3-3-2

MACHINE CRUNCH (6-8-10 DROP SET)
95 x 10
110 x 10
125 x 6 - 110 x 8 - 95 x 10

BAND PULL APARTS
Blue band I found x 55 reps at different angles

And now I’m going to sit here at work and write a couple of new programs for fun. I’m going to lay out CT’s program from ThibArmy titled “Simple, Guaranteed Size and Strength”. I’ll also be writing the next cycle of my hybrid “Best Damn 5/3/1 Rise of the Machines” workout.

2 Likes

Hey Big J nice to hear your doing well and you’re released to work even more with your leg.
Do you have any pain or discomfort at all in the hip area? when relaxing or working out. It doesn’t appear so from you log.

1 Like

So far I’ve managed to do a good job of following all of my rules and guidelines. I have tightness in my psoas but no pain. I had a little discomfort on the elliptical last week when I tried it but no problems this morning other than muscular weakness/fatigue.

I haven’t pushed it so I can’t say whether or not I’m pain free. Leg press surprised me yesterday in that it felt completely normal. I did a couple of really light sets with my left leg only and the only thing I felt was my quad muscle working.

My left leg is weaker than my right but I think the strength will come back quick. I’ve been doing lying leg curls for a couple weeks and my left leg was only a few reps behind my right leg with the same weights. On my final set the other day I hit 11 reps with my left leg and 12 on my right. My right felt stronger but the left is getting there. I used 30 lbs less with my left leg on extensions this morning and I’m hoping I’ll be using the same weight in about three weeks.

3 Likes

That’s an awesome job both by the doctors, the PT and especially you. Good to hear.

1 Like