Donnie Thompsons IPA Total

[quote]Dominator wrote:
Tags wrote:
Do you see what I am saying?

No, not at all.

How can you defend poor judging?

Regardless if it impacts my totals or not, it impacts the other person who did actually have the World Record, and so on.

It validates nothing outside of the IPA is a questionable fed, at least IMO.

[/quote]

Obviously you don’t see what I am saying. For the last time, my point is that if you really have a problem with it and want change, do something about it. Bitching on the net isn’t going to change shit.

That was my point to this whole thread. Boycott the fed, write the man a letter voicing your displeasure (I am sure he put more stock in something personal like that than an anonymous post online) do whatever you think will actually have an impact, because people have been bitching about gear and high squats online for a while, and it isn’t getting better.

I can’t make it any clearer than that. I haven’t defended anyone or made any excuses, so if you still don’t get what I am saying then you are just reading what you want to read and thats fine, to me it doesn’t matter.

I guess I just take issue with internet bitching from people who don’t want to make any effort to resolve anything, rather, they are half glad shit like this happens so they have something to bitch about online. I am not saying you’re like that, but let’s face it, there are a lot of posters who are.

Anyway take care and hopefully I’ve been able to write what I am thinking, as sometimes the net is a tough medium.

Pat

[quote]IainK wrote:
Poeple are offended as it makes a mockery of the sport they are involved with. Hence they make their opinion know on whatever relevant forums they are a member of. That’s what forums are about, sharing opinions! It dosn’t mean we all believe the IPA are gone overturn the lifts because people disagree!

At the end of the day it’s not my fed, if it was I’d be F’in fuming. It dose however ‘apear’ to be a problem of US Multi-ply lifting. Wear whatever you want on the platform, but don’t bastadise the lifts to do so.

When it comes to the 3 powerlifts, powerlifters should lead the way in their execution. 1/2 squats and dodgy benches belong to the ‘Bro bicep brigade’! Strict lifting is a must.

I have had the pleasure to briefly meet Donnie and he was a class act. It is obvious he is STRONG AS HELL! He can do better and I hope he dose.

[/quote]

I guess I just think forums should be a bit more constructive. Maybe that’s why I take issue with thread’s like this?

Donnie squated to the depth IPA says to squat too. If you don’t like it don’t compete in the IPA.

[quote]Tags wrote:
Obviously you don’t see what I am saying. For the last time, my point is that if you really have a problem with it and want change, do something about it. Bitching on the net isn’t going to change shit.

That was my point to this whole thread. Boycott the fed…[/quote]

In some small way, I’d like to think that forums are a good way of voicing displeasure, however your point is a good one…people have been complaining for a while yet nothing has changed.

Boycotting the fed is the thing to do, however, the reality is that I think lifters actually don’t want to compete in feds with strict judging.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Donnie squated to the depth IPA says to squat too. If you don’t like it don’t compete in the IPA.[/quote]

Here’s how the squat depth is interpreted:

"3. The lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top of the thigh at the hip, NOT the hip joint, is lower than the top of the kneecap. Locking and unlocking of the knees after demonstrating control of the weight is not defined as a descent.

But, the knees must be locked at the-start and completion of the lift. Only one descent per-attempt is allowed."

I’m pretty sure my eyes didn’t deceive me…no part of the top of the hip was bellow the top of the kneecap.

Not competing in the IPA is a good recommendation.

[quote]Tags wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
Tags wrote:
A lot of people seem to have a problem with his total and feel like it is an embarrassment to the sport and enough is enough etc. To that end, I think all of the internet whiners should write a letter to him, or the judges, or the IPA, or whomever. Seriously. I listened to an audio interview over on Elite with Donnie and in it he jokes about how no one can say women gossip more then men because powerlifting is a male dominated sport and everyone is, and I quote, “A cackling hen”.

Although he had a lot of useful training info (does any care about that anymore?) in that interview, that may have been his best point.

Unless your his direct competitor, and you received different calls then him, I don’t see why everyone takes an issue with this. Also, I don’t think anyone who has posted on here had their WR total broke by him, so its not like anyone can make that argument either.

If the man walked into any gym I was training at, the last thing I would care to talk to him about is powerlifting gossip. Unfortunately, I can see him getting a lot “what do you think about that whole powerlifting watch thread?” questions.

Pat

The IPF lovers and Raw nazis can say what they want.

As a 132 pound female, Donnie will never be my competitor, but I still take issue with his new “world record”. The “highPA” and other multiply feds have a bad reputation for passing anything.

From what I’ve seen, squats that are 5 inches high and deadlifts that were never locked out haven’t gotten passed at the multiply meets I’ve attended. If he had executed those lifts in the same way at another meet (even another IPA meet) he would have bombed.

Donnie’s entire total was a gift, and to pass it off as legit, as the IPA attempting to do, is disgraceful.

I absolutely get that. My point is that what change will come from a thread like this? Is the IPA going to change their decision? Does the lifter even read this forum? I’m speaking generally now, but people want to act or seem very offended by this, yet all that will happen is they will vent under a screen name on a forum. Again, I’m speaking generally.

Pat[/quote]

My anonymous statement on some internet forum isn’t going to make a difference. I’m well aware of that.

What IainK said is right. That is my federation. Seeing shit like that pisses me off. I don’t lift like that, the record holding men at my gym don’t lift like that. And there is no way in hell that those lifts would have passed in one of the IPA meets that my gym puts on.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Tags wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
Tags wrote:
A lot of people seem to have a problem with his total and feel like it is an embarrassment to the sport and enough is enough etc. To that end, I think all of the internet whiners should write a letter to him, or the judges, or the IPA, or whomever.

Seriously. I listened to an audio interview over on Elite with Donnie and in it he jokes about how no one can say women gossip more then men because powerlifting is a male dominated sport and everyone is, and I quote, “A cackling hen”.

Although he had a lot of useful training info (does any care about that anymore?) in that interview, that may have been his best point.

Unless your his direct competitor, and you received different calls then him, I don’t see why everyone takes an issue with this. Also, I don’t think anyone who has posted on here had their WR total broke by him, so its not like anyone can make that argument either.

If the man walked into any gym I was training at, the last thing I would care to talk to him about is powerlifting gossip. Unfortunately, I can see him getting a lot “what do you think about that whole powerlifting watch thread?” questions.

Pat

The IPF lovers and Raw nazis can say what they want.

As a 132 pound female, Donnie will never be my competitor, but I still take issue with his new “world record”. The “highPA” and other multiply feds have a bad reputation for passing anything.

From what I’ve seen, squats that are 5 inches high and deadlifts that were never locked out haven’t gotten passed at the multiply meets I’ve attended. If he had executed those lifts in the same way at another meet (even another IPA meet) he would have bombed.

Donnie’s entire total was a gift, and to pass it off as legit, as the IPA attempting to do, is disgraceful.

I absolutely get that. My point is that what change will come from a thread like this? Is the IPA going to change their decision? Does the lifter even read this forum? I’m speaking generally now, but people want to act or seem very offended by this, yet all that will happen is they will vent under a screen name on a forum. Again, I’m speaking generally.

Pat

My anonymous statement on some internet forum isn’t going to make a difference. I’m well aware of that.

What IainK said is right. That is my federation. Seeing shit like that pisses me off. I don’t lift like that, the record holding men at my gym don’t lift like that. And there is no way in hell that those lifts would have passed in one of the IPA meets that my gym puts on.

[/quote]

In all seriousness, boycott that fed then. Get a lot of your peers to as well. Make it clear your disgusted with how things went down. thats my point.

No one cares about this type of discussion, but people care when there are no membership dues, no entry fees, and when big name lifters (whom you said you train with) don’t go to the meets, etc. There isn’t exactly a shortage of federations in the U.S.

[quote]Tags wrote:
In all seriousness, boycott that fed then. Get a lot of your peers to as well. Make it clear your disgusted with how things went down. thats my point.

No one cares about this type of discussion, but people care when there are no membership dues, no entry fees, and when big name lifters (whom you said you train with) don’t go to the meets, etc. There isn’t exactly a shortage of federations in the U.S.
[/quote]

Or, I could just continue to compete in the meets that other gyms put on. Ones that have decent judges.

There may be a lot of PL feds, but in Columbus, IPA is THE multiply fed.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
John S. wrote:
Donnie squated to the depth IPA says to squat too. If you don’t like it don’t compete in the IPA.

Here’s how the squat depth is interpreted:

"3. The lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top of the thigh at the hip, NOT the hip joint, is lower than the top of the kneecap. Locking and unlocking of the knees after demonstrating control of the weight is not defined as a descent.

But, the knees must be locked at the-start and completion of the lift. Only one descent per-attempt is allowed."

I’m pretty sure my eyes didn’t deceive me…no part of the top of the hip was bellow the top of the kneecap.

Not competing in the IPA is a good recommendation.

[/quote]

Most of the squats I have seen in the IPA look like that. People acting all offended by it when they know what goes on in the IPA is what im getting at. But you are right there rules do state that.

[quote]Tags wrote:

[/quote]

Hey, wait- I need some loose judging- come back!

[quote]John S. wrote:

Most of the squats I have seen in the IPA look like that. People acting all offended by it when they know what goes on in the IPA is what im getting at. But you are right there rules do state that.[/quote]

The issue isn’t with the IPA as a whole, its with a particular call. The single ply and raw nazis can moan about how IPA multiply squatters dont go to the same depth as USAPL or IPF squatters, but to say that most of the squats passed in the IPA are gifts is a completely misrepresentation.

Looks like Chuck is at depth in this one…and THIS is what the majority of the squats Iv seen passed in the IPA look like.

That’s from the Pro Am and that squat wasn’t actually passed. :stuck_out_tongue:

From my understanding, it wasn’t a depth issue but an issue when he went to re-rack.

But even in a picture that couldn’t possibly have been taken at the lowest point, that looks a lot deeper than Thompson’s most recent squats.

can’t we all jus git along?

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
can’t we all jus git along?[/quote]

This is teh interwebz. Teh interwebz is for anonymous arguing and bitching.

Joe Grim wrote:
can’t we all jus git along?

This is teh interwebz. Teh interwebz is for anonymous arguing and bitching.[/quote]

You know who I am…so its not anonymous bitching. :stuck_out_tongue:

But even in a picture that couldn’t possibly have been taken at the lowest point, that looks a lot deeper than Thompson’s most recent squats.[/quote]

+1

Chuck’s Squat in that picture looks a good 2-3 inches lower than Donnie’s ever got, and even Chuck’s appears to be an inch high or so.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
But even in a picture that couldn’t possibly have been taken at the lowest point, that looks a lot deeper than Thompson’s most recent squats.

+1

Chuck’s Squat in that picture looks a good 2-3 inches lower than Donnie’s ever got, and even Chuck’s appears to be an inch high or so.

[/quote]

I think at that meet he got called out for depth…

[quote]John S. wrote:
Most of the squats I have seen in the IPA look like that. People acting all offended by it when they know what goes on in the IPA is what im getting at. But you are right there rules do state that.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that every fed (except for USAPL) states essentially the same criteria for squat depth however, every fed has a different interpretation on judging.

I really don’t have a problem with an fed wanting to squat higher, lower, or whatever, just as long as it’s written into the rules and it’s judged accordingly. I just don’t get why that’s so hard?

If the IPA wants to pass hamstring parallel squats, that’s fine with me, just right it into the rules and let the people decide if that the fed they want to compete in.

[quote]Dominator wrote:

I really don’t have a problem with an fed wanting to squat higher, lower, or whatever, just as long as it’s written into the rules and it’s judged accordingly. I just don’t get why that’s so hard?

If the IPA wants to pass hamstring parallel squats, that’s fine with me, just right it into the rules and let the people decide if that the fed they want to compete in.

[/quote]

What are you doing?!?!? This is POWERLIFTING on the INTERNET!

YOURE NOT ALLOWED TO BE REASONABLE!

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Dominator wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:

+1

I think at that meet he got called out for depth…[/quote]

That’s from the Cincy Pro Am. I heard someone say that it was because fell into the rack, or something like that. But it was pretty loud there, so I may have misheard.