Donnie Thompson Totals 3,000!!!

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
My understanding of lifting gear is it makes the eccentric portion easier. Because of the strength of the suits, shirts, etc it’s harder to get full depth, the more you do the concentric the more it’s trying to do the eccentric. At least that is my understanding, if it’s incorrect someone please correct me as I’m curious.[/quote]

There’s also the fact that your head feels like its going to explode for the duration of the lift.[/quote]

I would assume that’s a given fact! Seriously though- its impressive. Guy is tough, thats for sure.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Congrats to him, I know he’s been trying for awhile. On depth, it is what it is. I’d take Chad’s raw 905 squat any day over Donnie’s, just a totally different lift. Still Donnie is massivly strong. I’ll leave with this thought.

1265 squat

785 pull

480lb difference in the two lifts…

[/quote]

Look how thick donnie is at the waist, how short his arms are, and how he bends at the hips and hinges. He was not built for the deadlift. His levers are completley wrong and play towards his supurb squatting ability. Honestly, other than scott cartwright, who was built to squat better than Big Donnie? Don’t forget he pulls RAW, no equipment. Take away his squat suit and his 900ish raw squat is much closer to his deadlift.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Congrats to him, I know he’s been trying for awhile. On depth, it is what it is. I’d take Chad’s raw 905 squat any day over Donnie’s, just a totally different lift. Still Donnie is massivly strong. I’ll leave with this thought.

1265 squat

785 pull

[/quote]

You know, I would be a little tired after squatting 1265 and benching 950…would you?

Yes, gear plays a big role here. Gear helps the squat way more than it helps the deadlift, but seriously, he was worn the hell out by deadlift most likely.

In the gym, my best pull was 655 but on the meet day, I was tired and ended up with 625 and a miss at 660.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Lurchman76 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
So do ya’ll think he’ll hit the 1300 mark? Regardless, it’ll certainly be fun to see if he does.[/quote]

It’s clear he has it in him. Look at all of these attempts with 1250+ he makes them look easy. Its more a matter of if his equipment will allow him to hit depth and manhandle that weight like he intends.[/quote]
Won’t more weight make hitting depth easier? Or no?

[quote]

I forgot where I saw it, search youtube for it. But it’s an interview with Mark Bell or someone else and he talks about his equipment and how it decides where he comes up, so on and so forth. I have no experience lifting that kind of weight or wearing a suit of armor like that. So I think donnie is the only one who can truly understand how it feels/works

That’s incredible. Really impressive.

FML I don’t even total his squat.

[quote]kakno wrote:
That’s incredible. Really impressive.

FML I don’t even total his squat.[/quote]
That should add some light to the fire

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Won’t more weight make hitting depth easier? Or no?[/quote]
My understanding of lifting gear is it makes the eccentric portion easier. Because of the strength of the suits, shirts, etc it’s harder to get full depth, the more you do the concentric the more it’s trying to do the eccentric. At least that is my understanding, if it’s incorrect someone please correct me as I’m curious.[/quote]

Easier? not really. Different, yes. Your hip abductors have to be very strong to squat in a multiply suit. Your position has to be spot on or your knees will cave sudden and hard. Imagine having 1200lbs on your back and your knees caving, pretty sure your legs would explode.

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Easier? not really. Different, yes. Your hip abductors have to be very strong to squat in a multiply suit. Your position has to be spot on or your knees will cave sudden and hard. Imagine having 1200lbs on your back and your knees caving, pretty sure your legs would explode.[/quote]
I see what you’re saying. I guess I was thinking about a shirt and how most guys need a certain amount of weight in order to be able to touch their chest.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Easier? not really. Different, yes. Your hip abductors have to be very strong to squat in a multiply suit. Your position has to be spot on or your knees will cave sudden and hard. Imagine having 1200lbs on your back and your knees caving, pretty sure your legs would explode.[/quote]
I see what you’re saying. I guess I was thinking about a shirt and how most guys need a certain amount of weight in order to be able to touch their chest.[/quote]

You are right in that regard. Having more weight pushing down on your gear makes it easier to find depth in the squat and bench, however it’s hard to maintain the correct position throughout the movement. If you get out of position on the eccentric you’re pretty much effed in the eh. I guess I interpreted your question and corstijeir’s response to be that a geared squat has an easier eccentric than raw. Mea culpa.

The suit helps the lift period, eccentric and concentric. It promotes hip extension. The knee wraps cause knee extension. I have competed in single ply gear and now compete raw. I can get 150 pounds out of my suit and knee wraps. My understanding is that the multiply gear allows more.

beef

What an animal, thanks for posting

It"s his fed, and their rules. I don’t know of anyone who can hold that weight, much less try and squat it.
I also would like to see Donnie do a Bench only meet. I think he could roll with the big boys.

If anyone cares I’m IPF but love to see the the extreme.

BB

If Donnie hit depth he could maybe do 1100. A few inches takes you out of your comfort zone.

BB

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
The suit helps the lift period, eccentric and concentric. It promotes hip extension. The knee wraps cause knee extension. I have competed in single ply gear and now compete raw. I can get 150 pounds out of my suit and knee wraps. My understanding is that the multiply gear allows more.

beef[/quote]

The suits only provide support during the eccentric. They do not promote extension. They support anti-flexion. There is a big difference. If knee wraps caused extension then the ideal position to wrap them in would be terminal flexion… that doesn’t make any sense.

It’s true the multiply does allow much more weight to be lifted. But not because of assisting the concentric. It’s because the more ply’s support the body in more advantagous positions during the eccentric. Once an optimal position is attained, the suit does not assist anymore. Imagine closing the gap on how much you can leg press compared to how much you can squat. Thats basically what the equipment does.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:

beef[/quote]

The suits only provide support during the eccentric. They do not promote extension. They support anti-flexion. There is a big difference. If knee wraps caused extension then the ideal position to wrap them in would be terminal flexion… that doesn’t make any sense.

It’s true the multiply does allow much more weight to be lifted. But not because of assisting the concentric. It’s because the more ply’s support the body in more advantagous positions during the eccentric. Once an optimal position is attained, the suit does not assist anymore. Imagine closing the gap on how much you can leg press compared to how much you can squat. Thats basically what the equipment does.[/quote]
great explanation

[quote]Lurchman76 wrote:

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

1265 squat

785 pull

[/quote]

Look how thick donnie is at the waist, how short his arms are, and how he bends at the hips and hinges. He was not built for the deadlift. His levers are completley wrong and play towards his supurb squatting ability. Honestly, other than scott cartwright, who was built to squat better than Big Donnie? Don’t forget he pulls RAW, no equipment. Take away his squat suit and his 900ish raw squat is much closer to his deadlift. [/quote]

Yes, you could be right, he is better built to squat than pull. I’m not taking anything away from the guy and I’m pretty sure he has pulled a big deadlift at nerb.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

1265 squat

785 pull

[/quote]

You know, I would be a little tired after squatting 1265 and benching 950…would you?

Yes, gear plays a big role here. Gear helps the squat way more than it helps the deadlift, but seriously, he was worn the hell out by deadlift most likely.

In the gym, my best pull was 655 but on the meet day, I was tired and ended up with 625 and a miss at 660.[/quote]

This is something EVERY lifter has to go through. For Donnie, 1250 is a max squat, for other guys it’s 500. Takes the same toll on any lifter that has 3 max attempts on squat then bench, so I won’t take “he was tired” as an excuse. Everyone that goes to pull deadlifts are tired.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

1265 squat

785 pull

[/quote]

In the gym, my best pull was 655 but on the meet day, I was tired and ended up with 625 and a miss at 660.[/quote]

This is something EVERY lifter has to go through. For Donnie, 1250 is a max squat, for other guys it’s 500. Takes the same toll on any lifter that has 3 max attempts on squat then bench, so I won’t take “he was tired” as an excuse. Everyone that goes to pull deadlifts are tired. [/quote]

Bullshit.

Donnie’s total is just stupid strong.
So is a 3K total going to fall more often now? 2910 isn’t far off.

[quote]Most Major wrote:
Donnie’s total is just stupid strong.
So is a 3K total going to fall more often now? 2910 isn’t far off.[/quote]
I’m going to say yes