T Nation

Done with Beginner Gains?

At what point in time can it be said that I've used up my beginner gains? Been looking around the forums and I can't find any posts regarding the topic.

Started lifting January of 2014, 17 years of age.
Bodyweight: 52kgs/115lbs
Started with no prior knowledge hence no maxes.

December of 2014.
Bodyweight: 75kgs/165lbs (probably gained a good amount of fat but not sure how much)
Squat: 140kgs/308lbs
Bench: 80kgs/176lbs
Deadlift: 150kgs/330lbs
Overhead Press: 52.5kgs/115.5lbs

I know I can check out the strength standards at exrx but considering the strength standards are based off >18 year olds, I would say I should be evaluated using a different standard.

Share the gains y'all made in your first year of lifting, curious to find out how all y'all strong dudes got started out.

I know this isn’t quite pertaining to what you are asking, but are those stats for your deadlift correct? You’re squatting near twice your bodyweight but not even one time of your bodyweight in deadlift; even your overhead press is higher. I have a feeling that either you’re form is completely off for deadlift or you just didn’t work on it much at all. Did you have a back injury that prevents you from working the deadlift?

I’m 17(I saw you concerned about age) at a bodyweight of 138 and max out around 330. That’s only having around 7 months of training. By the looks of it, I would say that you’re not training to your full potential. Now whether or not that correlates to your beginner gains, I can’t say, but by looking at what you max out on squat, I’m inclined to say that your beginner gains are coming to a close; your deadlift just isn’t on par yet.

wait wait wait wait wait.

In your last thread, you said your deadlift was 150kg. Now you’re saying it’s 50kg. Which one is right?

[quote]Benanything wrote:
I know I can check out the strength standards at exrx but considering the strength standards are based off >18 year olds, I would say I should be evaluated using a different standard.
[/quote]

Or no standard. Worrying about how you’re doing compared to everyone else is just silly. You can’t be anyone but you.

Must be 150, 50kg makes no sense.

1 year in at age 17? You have a lot of strength gains ahead of you.

[quote]knobby22 wrote:

1 year in at age 17? You have a lot of strength gains ahead of you. [/quote]

I think it’s probably 150 as well. The only reason I wasn’t sure was that in his last thread he mentioned that he felt like he had a really bad deadlift.

As to the original question though, it seems like you (OP) are trying to classify everything in black and white terms. It’s as if you’ve got ‘beginner gains’ in your head as a set thing. Like they start at x and end at y. Things are more fluid than that. And there are so many variables. How much you eat, and how hard you train will largely determine how long it takes you to hit a major wall in your training. I’ve known people who really saw very little ‘beginner gains’ at all. I’ve known others who just seem to make linear progress for years. So many things go into this question that there will never be a clear cut answer. In your case, you’re also still developing at your age. You should be able to make significant gains throughout your last teenage years, and well into your 20’s.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]knobby22 wrote:

I think it’s probably 150 as well. The only reason I wasn’t sure was that in his last thread he mentioned that he felt like he had a really bad deadlift.

As to the original question though, it seems like you (OP) are trying to classify everything in black and white terms. It’s as if you’ve got ‘beginner gains’ in your head as a set thing. Like they start at x and end at y. Things are more fluid than that. And there are so many variables. How much you eat, and how hard you train will largely determine how long it takes you to hit a major wall in your training. I’ve known people who really saw very little ‘beginner gains’ at all. I’ve known others who just seem to make linear progress for years. So many things go into this question that there will never be a clear cut answer. In your case, you’re also still developing at your age. You should be able to make significant gains throughout your last teenage years, and well into your 20’s. [/quote]

Yeah man. When I originally started weight training (more bodybuilding cause that’s all I knew at the time) at 18 I made great strength and size gains, then half way through college I got preoccupied with women and beer. I wish I kept the training all through college cause there are big gains to be made at that age range due to a number of factors.

Now, 25 years later back in the gym I regret having walked away. But it’s the powerlifting approach that has me hooked this time around rather than lifting for aesthetics.

So to the OP, keep smashing the weights!

What program are you running? Are you still progressing? Are you progressing at a similar rate as you were 3 months ago? 6 months ago?

[quote]knobby22 wrote:

have we figured out yet if it’s 50 or 150kg? 50kg would make no sense in comparison to that squat number.

oh snap, I totally meant to write 150kgs, probably a typo or something, my bad…

Currently running 5/3/1. As of right now, I’m definitely progressing at a slower rate as compared to 3 months ago. It probably takes me 3 weeks to add 2.5kg to my bench and maybe 5kgs for my deadlift in slightly over a month. My squat on the other hand is still improving at a pretty good pace. Maybe I’m just being greedy though I’m beginning to think it could just be my mentality holding me back. That and school does have a tendency to be a huge distraction for me. Any advice for a university(kinda?) student when it comes to training and maintaining discipline? That being added, there’s 2 years of compulsory military conscription in my country for me when I’m 20-21, so that does kinda bum me out.