Donating Plasma

hey so im kinda in a bind here and i need money in order to do this trip over the summer for around 400. im gonna look for a job too but id rather spend more of my time on schoolwork.

anyways, one option that i see all the time all over the buses is to donate plasma, i think i get 60 the first time i donate and either 20 or 40 if i do it 2 times a week every time after that i think?. anyways i was wondering if anyone knew how much it would affect me/my lifting.

i donated blood once before and they told me not to do any physical activity for a couple of days or something but i think i was good and went to my practice that nite and i think i was fine (or maybe it was the next day?)

i only lift around 4 times a week or so and was thinking i could do it on a day where i had 2 off days in a row
anyone have experience or any opinions on this?.
thanks

I donated Plasma once my junior year in Highschool… took around an hour or so… had to keep squeezing a ball which was a good burn on the forearms. Almost feinted once during the procedure.

Wont do it again… just takes too long.

I donated on my off days so it wasn’t to bad. They days I did donate I would be tired afterwards but a couple hours later I was cool. The extra 240.00 a month was cool though. If you need the extra dough I say do it. Just eat healthy and get plenty of rest.

I donated platelets once (for a friend with cancer). It was a 2 hour process, but I sat comfortably and watched a movie… until I realized my arm was swollen and numb. When I informed the nurse of this, she found out that the needle had pierced through the vein and deep into the muscle (and probably some nerves. She fixed it and then it was smooth sailing.

Why is it called “donating” if you get paid for it? It should be called something more along the lines of whoring your fluids out.

I’m jealous. Blood donations do not get paid for in Canada. But, I do get free cookies and juice. Last time I went I ate like 50 cookies and 20 boxes of juice.

Same here, we get some free food/drinks, but that’s mostly to keep those people who don’t deal well with blood loss from passing out.

I’ve done it once, had no problems at all. I’m looking to donate again, and I would definitely be doing it all the time if I got money for it.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
Why is it called “donating” if you get paid for it? It should be called something more along the lines of whoring your fluids out.

I’m jealous. Blood donations do not get paid for in Canada. But, I do get free cookies and juice. Last time I went I ate like 50 cookies and 20 boxes of juice.[/quote]

You do not get paid for donating blood, all we get for that is juice and cookies too. You get paid for donating plasma.

My little brother has been donating twice a week for a few months now for the extra money. The plasma is used by a pharmaceutical company for tests, that’s why they pay for it.

Also, he says he’s really hungry afterwards but it doesn’t knock you out or anything. They give you your blood back so the recovery rate is faster.

I give plasma on a regular basis and have lifted directly after and have not noticed a change in performance or anything. Cardio activities is a totally different deal though. Since the plasma is mostly water (they give you back your red blood cells), you can really feel the difference if you ride a bike afterwards, or jog. Afterall, that’s a lot of water they take out of your body.

Just drink plenty of water, you may feel dehydrated for one or two days, but just drink lots of water and you’ll be fine. It’s not that bad, bring a book to read or you can study while you’re donating too.

I donate whole blood, over a gal. now , it takes less than hour, free juice

http://www.aegis.org/news/re/1997/RE9701D7.html

I wouldn’t do it…

No Thanks…

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
http://www.aegis.org/news/re/1997/RE9701D7.html

I wouldn’t do it…

No Thanks… [/quote]

Yes, that is a definite concern for anyone who lives in a third world country… as the article clearly states…

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Rooster1980 wrote:
http://www.aegis.org/news/re/1997/RE9701D7.html

I wouldn’t do it…

No Thanks…

Yes, that is a definite concern for anyone who lives in a third world country… as the article clearly states…[/quote]

Maybe, but I heard about a story not to long ago where it happened in the states. All it takes is some minimum wage dipshit that forgets to clean something properly?? Not sure how it works but I know they take your blood out of your body, filter it for what they want and put it back in. PASS

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:
Rooster1980 wrote:
http://www.aegis.org/news/re/1997/RE9701D7.html

I wouldn’t do it…

No Thanks…

Yes, that is a definite concern for anyone who lives in a third world country… as the article clearly states…

Maybe, but I heard about a story not to long ago where it happened in the states. All it takes is some minimum wage dipshit that forgets to clean something properly?? Not sure how it works but I know they take your blood out of your body, filter it for what they want and put it back in. PASS [/quote]

Can you just have them keep the blood?

‘Naw, you keep it. I’ll just make some more. I do it all the time, so it’s no trouble. Really.’

Nurse: Mkay sir hang on it won’t be a long process. I’m just taking your plasma mkay? An hour and you’re ready to go.

Me: You can take plasma, redblood cells, bone marrow whatever. Just give me my fuckin’ testosterone back tough mkay?

LOL

[quote]Bicep_craze wrote:
Nurse: Mkay sir hang on it won’t be a long process. I’m just taking your plasma mkay? An hour and you’re ready to go.

Me: You can take plasma, redblood cells, bone marrow whatever. Just give me my fuckin’ testosterone back tough mkay?

LOL[/quote]

Damn you craze:P I’ll never get anything done…

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
Bicep_craze wrote:
Nurse: Mkay sir hang on it won’t be a long process. I’m just taking your plasma mkay? An hour and you’re ready to go.

Me: You can take plasma, redblood cells, bone marrow whatever. Just give me my fuckin’ testosterone back tough mkay?

LOL

Damn you craze:P I’ll never get anything done…[/quote]

heheheheh

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
Why is it called “donating” if you get paid for it? It should be called something more along the lines of whoring your fluids out.
[/quote]

I don’t know if I’d call it whoring, as no one’s having plasma sex I’d hope, but it annoys the hell out of me when someone calls selling plasma donating. It’s like slapping people who actually give aid to others selflessly in the face.

It’s donating bone marrow that is supposed to hurt like a mother fucker right? What do they pay for that??

[quote]Chip Duglass wrote:
It’s donating bone marrow that is supposed to hurt like a mother fucker right? What do they pay for that??[/quote]

Brownie points.

i’ve donated plasma for cash a few times, its no big deal, you should be ok long as you eat somethign after you donate, but it TAKES FOREVER.

the draw takes abotu 45 mins, but make sure you get an appointment or something becasue otherwise you’ll be sitting all day waiitng to get it done.

its easy cash for some people and they are usually full minutes after they open the doors. but hey, 40 bucks is 40 bucks!..but not worth spending 7 hours of my day to do…