T Nation

Donating Plasma

My roommate came up with a seemingly safe idea for some extra cash: donate plasma.

Apparantly we’d get $20 on the first day on the week we go, and $40 on the second (so you can get $80 a month or $240). His sister is in the medical field, and says it won’t affect our lifting if we donate at least 24 hours prior to lifting. (it takes 24 hours to “fill back up” on plasma) I’m just doing a double check on here, what do you guys think?

I was planning on lifting 4 days a week anyways, Mon-Thur, but changing that to Tues-Fri wouldn’t really hurt me. Donate on Sat and early Mon, lift from Tues-Fri. The only thing I’m worried about is the slight lack of plasma by the time I lift hindering my gains. Any thoughts?

I have no experience on this, so I’m not going to try and guess.

Try it, and let us know. I’m interested.

haha alright. I’m also curious as to see if biking to school will slow my gains. I’d do just one or the other, test it out, make it more accurate, but I’m using the chance to bike to school as my cardio. the biking shouldn’t hurt the lifts, should it? except squats and such, right? anyone?

oh and could someone, anyone, respond to any comment I make around september to remind me to let you all know how things went? while we’re on it, let’s do stats right now:

bench: 3x6 at 235
squat: 3x6 at 330
deadlift: 3x6 at 330
weight: 202 lbs
body fat %: dunno, guessing between 12 and 15? (pic is of mid feb, slight progress since then)
waist: 32 in

I’ll try to update this again around september.

Plasma is about 92% water, and the other 8% electrolytes, protiens, minerals and fats. In theory if you drink plenty of water before and after you donate and eat a good diet you should be fine.

,

Pretty ghetto. It could affect recovery slightly.

your chest is your weakest upper body feature and forarms.

how’er the wheels?

not the thread for that, though I’d be more than to start a new one for that.

EDIT: and…done. check it out, gimme some ideas.

I donate plasma 2 times a week.not for the money anymore it os for the fact that I was in motorcycle mechanics school and I saw a good friend of mine crash and he needed plasma therapy for weeks on end.
I see it as a good cause now and the 70 dollars a week I get is a bonus.

I am used to it now and dosent effect me anymore.
plasma is supposed to be 95% water and 5% protein.

drink tons more water 2 days before you go than you would normaly drink and eat higher amounts or protien and you shouldnt have any ill effects.
unless you have a reaction to the sodium citrate they use as the anticoagulant.

I’m now tempted to look into donating(I could use the extra cash). I just sent the company (biomat, grifols or something like that) an email asking if it would adversely affect weightlifting or athletic performance. We’ll see if I hear back.

[quote]nichaaron wrote:
I donate plasma 2 times a week.not for the money anymore it os for the fact that I was in motorcycle mechanics school and I saw a good friend of mine crash and he needed plasma therapy for weeks on end.
I see it as a good cause now and the 70 dollars a week I get is a bonus.

I am used to it now and dosent effect me anymore.
plasma is supposed to be 95% water and 5% protein.

drink tons more water 2 days before you go than you would normaly drink and eat higher amounts or protien and you shouldnt have any ill effects.
unless you have a reaction to the sodium citrate they use as the anticoagulant.
[/quote]

Do you go every week?

I donated for the first time last friday. Never donated blood or anything before. It was an interesting experience. Not awful, just long (ish). Planning on going back on Monday.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
nichaaron wrote:
I donate plasma 2 times a week.not for the money anymore it os for the fact that I was in motorcycle mechanics school and I saw a good friend of mine crash and he needed plasma therapy for weeks on end.
I see it as a good cause now and the 70 dollars a week I get is a bonus.

I am used to it now and dosent effect me anymore.
plasma is supposed to be 95% water and 5% protein.

drink tons more water 2 days before you go than you would normaly drink and eat higher amounts or protien and you shouldnt have any ill effects.
unless you have a reaction to the sodium citrate they use as the anticoagulant.

Do you go every week?

I donated for the first time last friday. Never donated blood or anything before. It was an interesting experience. Not awful, just long (ish). Planning on going back on Monday. [/quote]

not every week but just about every week yes whenever I can.

yes it is long and boring I take my pda with a movie on it and chill.
also they proabably told you this already but your body replaces the plasma you loose in about 24-48 hours thats why you can go every 2 days.

it used to be when I started going years ago you can go every 2 days period.
now its every 2 days but no more than 2 in 7 days.

I see it as a good cause cause well first off im sure you seen the ghetto types that go in there,I am sure most of the plasma used directly in human therapy use is rejected from the lab for whatever reason.

[quote]nichaaron wrote:
boyscout wrote:
nichaaron wrote:
I donate plasma 2 times a week.not for the money anymore it os for the fact that I was in motorcycle mechanics school and I saw a good friend of mine crash and he needed plasma therapy for weeks on end.
I see it as a good cause now and the 70 dollars a week I get is a bonus.

I am used to it now and dosent effect me anymore.
plasma is supposed to be 95% water and 5% protein.

drink tons more water 2 days before you go than you would normaly drink and eat higher amounts or protien and you shouldnt have any ill effects.
unless you have a reaction to the sodium citrate they use as the anticoagulant.

Do you go every week?

I donated for the first time last friday. Never donated blood or anything before. It was an interesting experience. Not awful, just long (ish). Planning on going back on Monday.

not every week but just about every week yes whenever I can.

yes it is long and boring I take my pda with a movie on it and chill.
also they proabably told you this already but your body replaces the plasma you loose in about 24-48 hours thats why you can go every 2 days.

it used to be when I started going years ago you can go every 2 days period.
now its every 2 days but no more than 2 in 7 days.

I see it as a good cause cause well first off im sure you seen the ghetto types that go in there,I am sure most of the plasma used directly in human therapy use is rejected from the lab for whatever reason.

[/quote]

I do see it as a good cause as well. My litter brother has a growth hormone deficiency, and takes HGH every day. Plasma helps to make the growth factors that he takes.

I went back for my second time Yesterday. Wasn’t awful. Probably do it on a semi regular basis this summer as I can use the cash and will have more time.